Lions vs Cats vs Hawks - Which dynasty is the best?

Best dynasty???

• Cats

Votes: 234 21.2%
  • Hawks

Votes: 524 47.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 344 31.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Should this thread wait until Hawthorn's current dynasty is categorically over? That would provide for at least one objective factor upon which the subjective elements may be debated.

Otherwise we end up with nebulous conclusions such as "Brisbane, but if Hawthorn win it next year..."

Should this thread wait until Hawthorn's current dynasty is categorically over? That would provide for at least one objective factor upon which the subjective elements may be debated.

Otherwise we end up with nebulous conclusions such as "Brisbane, but if Hawthorn win it next year..."
But already now, Hawks are ahead. 4 consec GF's, 5 consec Prelims, chuck in 08 for dessert....
And I was a massive fan of that Lions team. Watched each of those flags 4x!

But already now, Hawks are ahead. 4 consec GF's, 5 consec Prelims, chuck in 08 for dessert....
yeah fair call, I agree. Hawthorn play a more team-based structure that has proven to be effective. Geelong at their best were great to watch and Brisbane was littered with strong behemoths all over the field, out-muscling teams. Each were brilliant, but the Hawks is ongoing/yet to end so it makes it hard to truly compare and at a guess, I'd suggest everyone would say Hawks are better if they again win 2016, or surely even if they make the prelim week again.

I don't think you can chuck in 08 for this dynasty. Too long ago and too many different players to consider part of a dynasty in itself. Dew, Crawford, Croad, Mark Williams, Cambell Brown, Guerra, Ladson, Gilham as examples of nothing to do with current crop of three premierships. Geelong 3 flags from 2007 to 2011 certainly part of a same dynasty where core group of players similar. Similarly Lions 3 premierships form a dynasty.
They all lost one grand final each with similar players. I personally was more impressed by the Lions but these two recent dynasties by Cats and now Hawks have given it a good shake to get spoken about in same context now.

Last edited:
I don't think you can chuck in 08 for this dynasty. Too long ago and too many different players to consider part of a dynasty in itself. Dew, Crawford, Croad, Mark Williams, Cambell Brown, Guerra, Ladson, Gilham as examples of nothing to do with current crop of three premierships. Geelong 3 flags from 2007 to 2011 certainly part of a same dynasty where core group of players similar. Similarly Lions 3 premierships form a dynasty.
They all lost one grand final each with similar players. I personally was more impressed by the Lions but these two recent dynasties by Cats and now Hawks have been have given it a good shake to get spoken about in same context now.

I don't want to rag on your point, and I am interested in the answer to the below.
You've listed the/some Hawks players that weren't part of the '13 premiership that were part of '08 of the Hawks

Can you please do the same between the '07 and '11 for the Cats?

I don't want to rag on your point, and I am interested in the answer to the below.
You've listed the/some Hawks players that weren't part of the '13 premiership that were part of '08 of the Hawks

Can you please do the same between the '07 and '11 for the Cats?

Nathan Ablett and Steven King really had nothing to do with later premierships a few years later.
The rest is basically same core of players. Ablett was no longer a Cat in 2011 but as we know he was a big part of 2009 flag too so only a gradual changing of a few players for Geelong which very different circumstances to many Hawks of 2008 premiership team that have nothing to do with last 3 flags. These 3 flags of Hawks got to consider a dynasty. 2008 clearly a singular premiership year effort for the bunch of Hawks that went around together then. That group never became a dynasty. But they share a special bond for getting a premiership when few expected it. Great for Crawford as he deserved it after a long hard working career.

Last edited:
They all lost one grand final each with similar players. I personally was more impressed by the Lions but these two recent dynasties by Cats and now Hawks have been have given it a good shake to get spoken about in same context now.

Close but its a bit harsh on Guerra saying he had nothing to do with the 2013 Flag.

Discredit 2008 but the Hawks get the chocolates for the epic 2011 and 2012 PFs and GFs...

Tim Lane had an interesting piece in tomorrows Age

Any way you look at it, Hawthorn's achievement is superior

...that said player for player, line for line the Lions / Cats teams probably trump the Hawks dynasty for on field talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Discredit 2008 but the Hawks get the chocolates for the epic 2011 and 2012 PFs and GFs...

...that said player for player, line for line the Lions / Cats teams probably trump the Hawks dynasty for on field talent

In comparison to Brisbane. "Anyway you look at it" how is it superior?

Mate, we could win 30 in a row, and the bitter, envy ridden morons would still say 'I still think Brisbane because of the travel factor'

Lions top 4-5 players may have been slightly better than Hawthorn's but their bottom 5 weren't as good.

They all lost one grand final each with similar players. I personally was more impressed by the Lions but these two recent dynasties by Cats and now Hawks have given it a good shake to get spoken about in same context now.
Why is 08 not counted, the Rulers are the same.

It's the same dynasty. In fact it started back in 07.

In comparison to Brisbane. "Anyway you look at it" how is it superior?

Simples

A) Hawthorn won 5 more games over the 4 seasons (include 2011 and dare I say it 2008 and its not even close)
B) Hawthorn had a far greater points differential in all 4 seasons (in fact Hawthorn's worst season from a % POV was a 22/3 134% season in 2013, its best was two 157% seasons in 2012 and 2015...the Lions best was only 18/7 137% in 2004)
C) Hawthorn's threepeat included beltings of Sydney (63), West Coast (46), Fremantle (15) and a classic loss to the Swans in 2012 (10)...by comparison Brisbane defeated Essendon (26) and Collingwood x2 (9, 50) and got belted by Port in 2004 (40)
D) Hawthorn have already won 2 minor premierships (2012-13 and were percentage short in 2014)...the Lions never qualified on top of the table (their best was joint top in 2001)

Honestly its not even close...

Hawthorn doesnt even need to bring up the '08 flag nor the 2011 PF (a 3pt loss in a game ranked as the 7th greatest PF of all time by Rohan Connolly)

Hawthorn was the first team since Essendon 1949/50 and Melbourne 1956/57 to belt their GF opponents in successive years

The salty tears in this thread is hilarious

He means, anyway my biased Hawk eyes look at it.....

Nah

Please respond to the points above

Either way this isn't even our GOAT anyway. The Hawthorn 1974-1991 era of sustained excellence (7 flags, 11 GFs and 3 PFs in 17 years) leaves the Hawks 2008-2015 (4 flags, 5 GFs and 1 PF exit) and Lions 1999-2004 (3 flags, 4 GFs and 1 PF exit) in the shade

In fact preempting yiur argument that the 70s dynasty was different to the 80s (which is ridiculous), Hawthorn 1982-1991 (5 flags, 8 GFs and 1 PF exit) slaughters Hawthorn 2011-2015 (3 flags, 4 GFs (loss was one of the GOAT GFs), 1 PF exit) and Brisbane (3 flags, 4 GFs)

Last edited:
Simples

A) Hawthorn won 5 more games over the 4 seasons (include 2011 and dare I say it 2008 and its not even close)
B) Hawthorn had a far greater points differential in all 4 seasons (in fact Hawthorn's worst season from a % POV was a 22/3 134% season in 2013, its best was two 157% seasons in 2012 and 2015...the Lions best was only 18/7 137% in 2004)
C) Hawthorn's threepeat included beltings of Sydney (63), West Coast (46), Fremantle (15) and a classic loss to the Swans in 2012 (10)...by comparison Brisbane defeated Essendon (26) and Collingwood x2 (9, 50) and got belted by Port in 2004 (40)
D) Hawthorn have already won 2 minor premierships (2012-13 and were percentage short in 2014)...the Lions never qualified on top of the table (their best was joint top in 2001)

Honestly its not even close...

Hawthorn doesnt even need to bring up the '08 flag nor the 2011 PF (a 3pt loss in a game ranked as the 7th greatest PF of all time by Rohan Connolly)

Hawthorn was the first team since Essendon 1949/50 and Melbourne 1956/57 to belt their GF opponents in successive years

The salty tears in this thread is hilarious

LOL, that's easily the most selective biased bullshit post I've read on here. Well done, you've destroyed your credibility in one post.

Your telling me the Lions spooned (1998) with basically the same squad as 2001/04 :drunk:

Another interesting thing I found about the Hawks today. The last time they conceded 100 points in a final was back in 2007 against Adelaide in an EF where they won 105-102 and Hodge was on one leg for the second half.

Back