Liverpool, the world's greatest club, in any sporting code

Remove this Banner Ad

But how long are you going to say that way? Look at what happened to Leeds, they had a massive Australian fanbase in the late 90's but lost most of it as they lost their success.

With respect to Leeds, and they are obviously a big club, Liverpool is on another level altogether and I think that most people would acknowledge this.

And it will remain that way for as long as the facts speak for themselves. Rich history, enormous global fanbase and brand, top 10 in the world in revenues (even despite not being in the Champions League), kit manufacturer and sponsorship deals that are among the most lucrative around, commercial partnerships etc. There are plans to raise Anfield's capacity to 60,00, which the club will have no trouble reaching and generate far more revenue still.

You could argue that we are not currently a "successful" club, but I don't see how we are not a "big" club.

But how long are you going to say that way? Look at what happened to Leeds, they had a massive Australian fanbase in the late 90's but lost most of it as they lost their success.

It was, but a Mark Hughes-led Stoke at Anfield isn't exactly the toughest fixture in the Prem.

Very true, Stoke has somewhat been a bit of a bogey side for us in recent years. Usually out-muscle us.
I think that's where Liverpool are/were very weak, we need a big and strong CB, Toure has helped their already though.

Coming from the Man City supporter. I wonder how many of your "fans" were actually fans before 2007. :rolleyes:

We averaged 42k the season before the takeover so I'd say a fair few. I don't really do the facebook/twitter thing but I havent really noticed many bandwagoners at all (I'm sure it will come). The people that sit around me at the game are by and large the same faces I've seen for years.

Many Collingwood, Carlton and particularly Essendon fans are bandwagoners.They jump on board because it is the popular or trendy thing to do. Success has nothing to do with it, the term for people who only support the successful sides is a gloryhunter. Some teams have fans who are both bandwagoners and gloryhunters.

Liverpool just have bandwagoners.

So by your reasoning, you're both a gloryhunter and a band wagoner.

We averaged 42k the season before the takeover so I'd say a fair few. I don't really do the facebook/twitter thing but I havent really noticed many bandwagoners at all (I'm sure it will come). The people that sit around me at the game are by and large the same faces I've seen for years.

We averaged 43,668 last season. Our biggest crowd was 45k in one of our last games in the season, when we knew we couldn't win anything. We haven't been in the champions league since 2009/10. We get 95,000 fans to the mcg on a wednesday night for a practice game, and about 15,000 to see Liverpool train.

So please tell me why you think that Liverpool fans are bandwagoners.

Because a disproportionate amount, with no reason to support Liverpool other than the fact they're a big side, manage to choose Liverpool as the side they support. All of the Sky 4 sides have plenty of bandwagoners as do AFL sides, other leagues, other sports etc.

I dont know why anyone would suggest that Liverpool doesnt have a lot of bandwagon supporters. I'm.not sure why it particularly bothers anyone thats the case.

Because a disproportionate amount, with no reason to support Liverpool other than the fact they're a big side, manage to choose Liverpool as the side they support.

I don't know why anyone would suggest that Liverpool doesnt have a lot of bandwagon supporters. I'm.not sure why it particularly bothers anyone thats the case.

Not really. I wanted to choose a team that had a Socceroos player in it at the time. I was choosing between Liverpool and Everton at the time because Harry Kewell and Tim Cahill were my favourite players. I then watched Liverpool play West Ham that weekend and watched Liverpool fans sing YNWA, and saw Agger hit a goal from 35 yards out. I was immediately sold.

I think it's the passion that Liverpool fans have as to why so many people start supporting Liverpool. The reputation of the fans singing YNWA would make anybody think about supporting Liverpool if they don't support anybody.

I din't really care why someone chooses to support a club. But the belief that your clubs supporters are extra special, or extra passionate or extra knowledgable really is the sort of thing bandwagoners go on about. Been to Anfield many times, Liverpool supporters no better or worse than anyone else.

Well it's simple, Man City has had success in recent years and it is a big club.

I've been supporting Man City for over 20 years.

If I joined up for the success I could have chosen better.

And if I was interested in supporting a "big club" there would have been a couple of better options not too far away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because a disproportionate amount, with no reason to support Liverpool other than the fact they're a big side, manage to choose Liverpool as the side they support. All of the Sky 4 sides have plenty of bandwagoners as do AFL sides, other leagues, other sports etc.

I dont know why anyone would suggest that Liverpool doesnt have a lot of bandwagon supporters. I'm.not sure why it particularly bothers anyone thats the case.

Moomba, with all disrespect, I think what you said above is just silly. Normally alot of what you have to say is fair enough, but to say "with no reason to support Liverpool other than the fact they're a big side" is just silly. People have all sorts of reasons for following the clubs they do, be it geographical, the strip, the song, favourite player, inherited from their parents, peer pressure from friends eg all your social circle follows a particular team, etc etc. We who choose to follow the sport have to follow someone, if we all ended up following Aston Villa would we be band wagoners then? Let's face it, LFC hasn't exactly been flushed with success the past 20 years so you can hardly blame LFC fans for gloryhunting.

And another thing, what came first, the chicken or the egg? Is LFC a big club because people supposedly jump on its bandwagon, or is it because LFC is a big club, people supposedly jump on the bandwagon? Did LFC getting 95k to the MCG enhance its status as a big club or did LFC being a big club help in drawing 95k to the MCG? It's not as simple as you make it out to be.

As for me, I followed them in the very early 80s because that was the only team that would get shown on tv every week on the ABC channel, pre SBS days. I followed them before I followed Port Adelaide because I used to hate Aussie Rules. I only knew Liverpool because they never showed any other team often enough on the ABC. Then when Craig Johnston played for the mighty reds, first Aussie to make it abroad, it was signed sealed and delivered. I've invested a lot of emotional energy in LFC, some highs and alot of lows (I'm still shattered we lost to Wimbledon in the FA Cup final ffs, still remember it like it was yesterday) plus some coin as well, I sure as hell don't consider myself a band wagoner. To me, LFC being a big club is all an aside issue, what I really want is to see my club win a premiership or a champions league trophy. Just like any other fan, that's what I hang out for. If it never happens again, so be it, I will still follow them week in week out until the day I die.

Like I said, I don't care why anyone chooses to support a club.

But you're naive if you don't think that clubs like Man United and Liverpool don't have a high proportion of bandwagon supporters. They also have plenty of hardcore, thick and thin supporters.

I don't even know why it would bother anyone if that's the case. We'll no doubt be in that bost before too long, I'm more worried about how people support the club than why.

Like I said, I don't care why anyone chooses to support a club.

But you're naive if you don't think that clubs like Man United and Liverpool don't have a high proportion of bandwagon supporters. They also have plenty of hardcore, thick and thin supporters.

I don't even know why it would bother anyone if that's the case. We'll no doubt be in that bost before too long, I'm more worried about how people support the club than why.

Any club which wins a trophy has an element of bandwagoners, even Man City. You may not be an BW or GH, kudos to you, but there is still a component of Man City fans that are, LFC and Man Utd no different.

Any club which wins a trophy has an element of bandwagoners, even Man City. You may not be an BW or GH, kudos to you, but there is still a component of Man City fans that are, LFC and Man Utd no different.

We will have some. If you don't think that you (and United) have significant numbers then I'm not going to go around in circles convincing you otherwise.

But you're wrong.

I din't really care why someone chooses to support a club. But the belief that your clubs supporters are extra special, or extra passionate or extra knowledgable really is the sort of thing bandwagoners go on about. Been to Anfield many times, Liverpool supporters no better or worse than anyone else.

I believe that Liverpool are more vocal than certain other clubs. Doesn't mean that I'm a bandwagoner?

I believe that Liverpool are more vocal than certain other clubs. Doesn't mean that I'm a bandwagoner?

Makes you a bit naive but I wouldnt have a clue if you are a bandwagoner or not.

Nor do I particularly care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back