Opinion Long Term Predictions Thread?

Remove this Banner Ad

Saint Luke

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
If this thread seems redundant (I couldn't really any threads similar on search, but I may have searched wrong) or incorrect in some way, mods feel free to move/delete.

I just thought it would be interesting to hear some people's long term predictions. Would be interesting to look back on in a few years and see how wrong or right anybody was. A forum time capsule of sorts. Remember when those were a thing?

For myself:

- Last years trade will be viewed as one of the most shrewd periods of trading in a long time and people will remember that draft for when the stars are Blake Acres, Luke Dunstan, Jack Billings and Eli Templeton.

- Blake Acres will end up being seen as a major coup. Excluding extenuating circumstances like extended injury he will be a certified gun.

- Luke Dunstan will end up being Selwood-like for us. His first year has seen him float down for goals in a similar fashion and he's obviously only going to get better at it. I can see he has the potential to take control of a situation and try to change it and he already has the football ability to do that. When he gets more established, he will be a match winner.

- Richo will be Ken Hinkley like in his approach to coaching. More professional & more rational approach than some of the emotional coaches of past. High standards and honesty are fantastic attributes for a leader of any kind to have and I think they will serve him very well. He will be seen as one of the best coaches in the league at some point.

and the craziest most biasedly optimistic one of all...

St. Kilda will have another flag before it becomes the 70th anniversary.

I agree that last years trade/draft period will be seen as a superyear in the future. I just dont see anyone we have taken on board really failing to live up to at minimum a 100 game career.

I believe Billings will eventually be the best midfielder for inside 50s in a couple of years. His disposal, short of a couple of bum games, has been fantastic and will be truly elite.

More short term but I dont see us getting another spoon next year. There were too many out of control variables this year to say we deserved being right down the bottom. Too many injuries and too many games marred by a single terrible quarter for that. We will still be bottom 4 next year but no more spoon. This is the valley bottom right here already.

Edit to add, I think we are building a dynasty of several premierships here. Its a big call I realise however if we are able to properly develop these kids into the players they should be then there will be so many coming into their prime in the same time span that we will have 25+ players all between 22 and 27 and playing some fantastic football.

2009/10 were always marred by the lack of a GOPs making up the bottom 6 and instead using too many role players to fill the gaps. We will not have those gaps this time.

Last edited:

Three predictions:
1. This years trading and draft thread on here will be our biggest ever
2. Next years trading and draft thread will start even earlier than this years
3. Next years trading and draft thread will go even further and break all records for the number of posts, players speculated over and trading combinations given

The short term pain will continue next year. Both Richo and Pelchen has stressed this, and if they have stated it then thats most likely what will happen.

I hope we avoid the wooden spoon next year.
I also think last years draft was the best in about 7 years or more and with the recruitment staff we have, I think that will continue.

I think at least two of our unheralded players will become elite stars, namely Murdo and Minchi. They have been slow starters that's for sure, and yet you can see their purpose , confidence, and dare I say it, arrogance increase every time they take the afl field. Strewth I hope I'm right.

White and Lee will make an awesome forward line in a few years just in time for Rooey to hand over the reins.

Saunders, Webster and Wright will all become very good players.

Markworth to be a forgotten gun hiding on our list. Pierce to be a very handy forward ruck and pushing Stanley to constantly improve.

Petracca to come to the Saints and be the new Judd.

Trade with Hawthorn will be seen as daylight robbery whether Macca ends up being part of their 22 or not.

Lee will make it and like all of our other forwards will benefit from the ball actually getting down there, and they'll be hit on the chest by our precision kicking youngsters.

Now a bit of an out there one that probably won't come true but will make me look like a genius if it happens... Bruce will become a permanent forward. :O

I'll be sure to edit that out if it doesn't happen. :D

Trade with Hawthorn will be seen as daylight robbery whether Macca ends up being part of their 22 or not.
Agreed. Dunstan and Savage have been shining lights this year while Acres has shown a lot of promise in the few games he has played. Meanwhile McEvoy has barely played for Hawthorn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Wright will have the reputation of being one of the hardest, toughest players in the competition...
... when he stops getting seriously injured all the time... :p

I distinctly remember doing something like this about 2003. Probably on SS. A few were going overboard, but I remember saying we would get 2 flags by 2010. Wasn't far off really, but it hurts that exercise was done over 10 years ago. Gold Coast and GWS are going to be hard to deal with over the coming years. Won't be normal.

I think we can get into the Top 4 about 2018, and then it's down to a lot of luck. Hopefully we have had luck with Drafting, Trading, and injuries. Load up on talent, develop well, trade well, and you never know. This year is as important as last year in terms of who we bring in. And next year sounds a very good year for elite midfielders. The years 2013-2015 will be seen as where we built our next great team.

If we have our second flag by 2021, I will be ecstatic. That is why patience will be required by all parties, including the players. If they stick fat (which they seem to be doing), then another golden period will unfold.

Unless Lyon is off to GWS to coach their all star list, he will never coach an AFL team to a premiership.

Alan Richardson will be the longest serving st kilda coach. I don't want to get to far ahead and think grand final, but they are building a LONG term competitive team.

This will also be looked back at as a turning point in the club and although st kilda isn't the first team to build in the draft to be competitive, other clubs will replicate the aggressiveness and the risks of pelchen, bains and co.

We'll have the best list in the AFL in 5 years... And are likely to win 4 straight premierships!

At least 3 Brownlow medal lists and 10 AllAustralians

Blind Freddy can see it coming
this isnt a personal attack. Just a bit of friendly advice.Feel free to ignore it if you want :)
If you do a post like you just did a little emoticon with a tongue poking out or a smiley face makes it look like a bit of tongue in cheek humour.
But to just say it straight out like that it just looks like hanging s**t on the club.
like I said just advice:thumbsu:

We'll have a premiership by the end of 2019, Geary will be the oldest player on our list.
Dunstan will be the next captain, and possibly become the longest serving if his body holds up.
Jeremy Cameron will be the first player to bag 100 for us since Gehrig.
Harley Bennell and Rory Sloane will be with us within three years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back