Prediction Make the call

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive thought it was putrid particularly for an outside runner type.

Don't know what his efficiency is like but I saw a couple of HBF transition plays where he nailed some awesome kicks, Hawks and Pies games from memory.

I think he'll improve again, two solid preseasons under his belt and a full playing season - only way is up.

Ive thought it was putrid particularly for an outside runner type.

I think sometimes McIntosh he can be a bit untidy with those short 20-30 meter kicks when we are trying to maintain possession. On the run though he can kick a long ball and cover the distance quickly. I remember a number of times he drilled 50-55 meter passes onto the chest of Jack and others in the forward line.

What makes you say that mate? Before last season he hadn't missed a game in like 8 years, and he missed what under 10 total between this season and last season? Hasnt had any ligament or bone breaks, I would've thought he'd be good odds to play well into his 30s... Surprised u say as we all know you love him ;)

Just a feeling I have.

Hopefully he can nurse and manage the niggles he has so we don't get a repeat of '14 or '15.

Not that he played poorly, but it hurts when he misses games and the adjustment period usually means he has a few less damaging matches.

I certainly do love the bloke and nobody will be happier than me if he can have a smooth run into his mid 30s, picking up a coleman medal, a couple best and fairests and a few lazy AA selections on the way.

Just a feeling I have.

Hopefully he can nurse and manage the niggles he has so we don't get a repeat of '14 or '15.

Not that he played poorly, but it hurts when he misses games and the adjustment period usually means he has a few less damaging matches.

I certainly do love the bloke and nobody will be happier than me if he can have a smooth run into his mid 30s, picking up a coleman medal, a couple best and fairests and a few lazy AA selections on the way.

I think he has the perfect attributes and physique to turn into a permanent forward in the next couple of years. His set shots for goal are great, he is lighting off-the-Mark and has a great leap. Could definitely make it as a permanent forward. I'd even go as far to say he could be as good as Jack Gunston, if you compare their shape and attributes, only difference being Gunston is a couple cm taller.
The only problem is Deledio is too valuable in the midfield and off HB to play forward for long stints.

Make: The whole team. A finals win will finally come our way and a convincing one at that.

Break: Dimma. If that finals win doesn't eventuate the club has no choice but to dump him and move onto someone younger and more handsome.

Don't know. OP only wanted us to name who we thought would have years to make or break them ;)
:rolleyes:

For me:
Make: Broad. I know our defence is our most stable area, but I have a good feeling that this guy will have a real impact and play more than 10 games.

Break: Conca. I looove Reece, and I reckon he could be a jet (I like him way better than BEllis) but I am sorry to say I think he will break down yt again.

Pick one player who will make it and one who won't in 2016. Revisit at year end.

Make: McIntosh. Will be a beast on the wing with his size and running capacity. Expect a top 10 B&F finish.

Break: Conca. Will be a bust, disposal not good enough and wont ever be better than average.

I think Conca might make it from the back pocket. Liked the way he played and plenty of room for improvement from experience based on Freo game.

The back pocket suits his short straight kicking style and frees up options for his hand ball.

Make: I don't rate him as a forward but Griffiths as a 2nd ruckman, up the wings and moving forward into the forward line will be the making of Big Boy Benny. I think his mobility, marking and long kicking will suit the roving ruckman and get him into the game far more than the forwardline where he has always looked lost.

Make: Lennon is ready to carve out a permanent place across the half forwardline. He will relish the freedom gifted to him by the oppositions focus on Lids and offer some X-factor and sublime deliver to the likes of Jack, Vick and Dusty

Make: I think Yarran will surprise many on here when he begin his season midyear. He will be hungry to prove his worth and will cut his way through teams zones and do to others what he did to use for years. :) He has the skills, speed and talent to lift us up to the next level.

Break: Sadly my first to struggle this year is one of my long time favourites due to his massive heart and leadership - Ivan 'Mullet' Maric. I think he has lost his spring and leap. Injuries will slow him and players will pass him by.

Break: Lloyd's lack of speed and height will come roast this year. Others such as Lennon and our talls will supplant him.

Break: He will continue to be a great role player but as others push into the team such as C.Ellis and even Conca, Hunt will find it harder to keep his spot on tenacity and consistency alone.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make:
Vlastuin - such a talent and hope his early form demands more midfield time

Martin - surely the tank is building further towards more full-game influence and dominance. Off-field indiscretion will bring a new level of concentration and determination to succeed

B. Ellis - the new interchange rules make the 'big tank' runners all the more valuable and with his 3rd pre-season under his belt he'll go to another level

C. Ellis - so much to like about this kid, just hoping he gets an opportunity early, grabs it with both hands and starts building confidence

Break:
Hardwick - one more year of failure will be way easier to wear than three

Grimes - body doesn't look up to withstanding the rigours of the game week in week out, not a line-breaking run and carry defender, doesn't get enough ball or do enough with it to persist with long term. Will get a lot of games but the question marks will grow

Maric - sadly, it seems only a miracle can reverse the decline of his body, needs to be managed very carefully to peak at the important end of the season, but he's no forward

Cotchin - he's not about to decline markedly, but I don't think he can mentally handle all that Hardwick asks of him long term. He's seemingly enjoying his football less each year and his output continues to drop. Needs a change, but he's stuck with a one-dimensional coach who has become all too used to relying too heavily on him. Something has to give

Plenty of others could go on both lists, but the above are where my interest mostly lies.

Make:
Vlastuin - such a talent and hope his early form demands more midfield time

Martin - surely the tank is building further towards more full-game influence and dominance. Off-field indiscretion will bring a new level of concentration and determination to succeed

B. Ellis - the new interchange rules make the 'big tank' runners all the more valuable and with his 3rd pre-season under his belt he'll go to another level

C. Ellis - so much to like about this kid, just hoping he gets an opportunity early, grabs it with both hands and starts building confidence

Break:
Hardwick - one more year of failure will be way easier to wear than three

Grimes - body doesn't look up to withstanding the rigours of the game week in week out, not a line-breaking run and carry defender, doesn't get enough ball or do enough with it to persist with long term. Will get a lot of games but the question marks will grow

Maric - sadly, it seems only a miracle can reverse the decline of his body, needs to be managed very carefully to peak at the important end of the season, but he's no forward

Cotchin - he's not about to decline markedly, but I don't think he can mentally handle all that Hardwick asks of him long term. He's seemingly enjoying his football less each year and his output continues to drop. Needs a change, but he's stuck with a one-dimensional coach who has become all too used to relying too heavily on him. Something has to give

Plenty of others could go on both lists, but the above are where my interest mostly lies.

Couldn't disagree more about Grimes. He's played something like 18 games in each of the past two years, I reckon he's over his chronic physical issues (touchwood).

He's quick, a great kick, great spoil, defensively excellent, and versatile. IMO he's our second best tall(ish) defender, easily.

make: Conca just looked sharp on the weekend. Looks fitter then ever. (this is probably out of hope more than anything)
Townsend is a beast, and will be fighting tooth and nail for his spot with Lambert (who i have heard has had a massive preseason) and Moore.
Griffiths. please god give Benny a break out year. Ive been in his cnr for a long time. I can see him having some dominate games as a Ruck and that will help him take his game to the next level.

Break. Sadly i think Astbury will paddle. i hope not as i'd love to see him as a long term replacement for Chappy
Maric more mobile rucks will sadly see big Ivan struggle. Thats why i can see us leaning towards Griffiths
Mcbean unfortunately is a fair way behind our other talls. Best chance will come if Griff takes on the Rucking role. Needs to come in and impact straight away.

Does he need the captaincy removed? Would the pressures of being an AFL captain, for someone who has clearly stated that football is not the be all and end all, be bringing him down? I think yes. Its no surprise that his best year in footy was the year before he became captain. I think next year, give the captaincy to Vlas or Jack and Cotch will be re-invigorated.

Does he need the captaincy removed? Would the pressures of being an AFL captain, for someone who has clearly stated that football is not the be all and end all, be bringing him down? I think yes. Its no surprise that his best year in footy was the year before he became captain. I think next year, give the captaincy to Vlas or Jack and Cotch will be re-invigorated.
I think the captaincy should have gone to Jack, this year. Cotchin's failures in finals over the last 3 years have to count against him.

MAKE: Grimes. Showed signs last year that he was gaining the confidence to attack, as well as defend. Body seems to be showing more resilience. I can see him becoming our 2nd key defender, behind Rance. This will allow Chaplin to play the third tall roll that lets him produce his best football. Combine those three with the run of Houli, Yarran, Vlaustin, and at times Conca, and you have a solid defensive unit.

BREAK: With young talent and recruits like Yarran and Townsend coming through, the likes of Taylor Hunt, Jake Batchelor, Shaun Griggs, Sam Lloyd, will drop down the pecking order, and become depth players, which in reality is a good thing.

Wishlist: Ty Vickery stands up and grabs the first ruck position. He has the height, bulk, mobility and bit of mongrel that is required. Does he have the mental strength? I don't know. If he can succeed it would solve a lot of our problems going forward.

MAKE: Grimes. Showed signs last year that he was gaining the confidence to attack, as well as defend. Body seems to be showing more resilience. I can see him becoming our 2nd key defender, behind Rance. This will allow Chaplin to play the third tall roll that lets him produce his best football. Combine those three with the run of Houli, Yarran, Vlaustin, and at times Conca, and you have a solid defensive unit.

BREAK: With young talent and recruits like Yarran and Townsend coming through, the likes of Taylor Hunt, Jake Batchelor, Shaun Griggs, Sam Lloyd, will drop down the pecking order, and become depth players, which in reality is a good thing.

Wishlist: Ty Vickery stands up and grabs the first ruck position. He has the height, bulk, mobility and bit of mongrel that is required. Does he have the mental strength? I don't know. If he can succeed it would solve a lot of our problems going forward.

Good post mate, agree with it.

I think the captaincy should have gone to Jack, this year. Cotchin's failures in finals over the last 3 years have to count against him.

The only thing i will add is that i believe he failed last year but the last two years he still has an out. first final he played a great game just blew up like the whole side after half time, so give him a pass as it was his first final.

Against port, he showed great leadership in our 9 game winning streak but the whole side got slaughtered. He was bad on the day but so was the whole side.

Third final you are spot on, he lowered his colors badly. A mark of a champion is how they respond. The story of Cotchin this year, to me, will just be as exciting to watch how it unfolds as the teams season.

Captain should have been lids for a couple then Cotch. It's been proven time and time again captaincy on young shoulders hardly ever works unless you're Wayne Carey.

Agree batch should be worried - if anything it should drive up his competitiveness. I know injuries previously have limited him but I remember his first year and his kicking was sensational. Really gone off the boil

Imagine the passion and energy jack would bring when our backs against the wall; i believe jack would be a stronger playing if he wore the captancy and would lift to another level as a player; he bleeds yellow and black and would be a great leader to follow into battle. Its not all about talent; passion is what we want and unfortunately cotch cant match jack in that space

Remove this Banner Ad

Back