Malthouse: What changes can we expect?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbs is going to really benefit from Mick.

Micks approach to tell players flat out if they aren't performing and what they need to do will be a wake up call. Lots of people knock Gibbs, but I think that's because they (we) see how elite he could be if he took that extra step. Since he didn't do it this year as we all thought, we're all edgy about it, but reality is he has great skills, cool, calm and collected and knows how to start a fight with Essendon.

Should be great to see how he uses Judd and Murph especially if Brock and Carazzo maintain this years form. Arguably the best 4 in the centre in the comp.

Here's a comparison of Mick's 2010 premiership side versus our equivalents.

B: Maxwell Laidler, Brown Jamison, Davis Yarran
HB: O'Brien McInnes, Reid Henderson, Shaw Tuohy
C: Wellingham Simpson, Swan Judd, Thomas Gibbs
HF: Didak Walker, Cloke ?????, Beams Garlett
FF: Brown Hampson, Dawes Waite, Sidebottom Betts
R: Jolly Kreuzer, Ball McLean, Pendlebury Carrazzo
IC: Johnson Scotland, Blair Bell, Toovey Robinson, Macaffer Armfield

Fairly even but the top liners in Collingwood's midfield of Ball-Swan-Pendlebury gives them the midfield edge on paper, we've shown them up with both sides missing key players.

The Yarran dilemma is an interesting one, we don't have another player that can sufficiently fill his role down back but Mick would love him higher up the ground.

Gibbs' progression AGAIN makes a huge difference.

Murphy?

^^^^
This, but not just for Malthouse, but for all coaches. Where was Chris Scott's Plan B at the weekend? Or where is Clarko's Plan B everytime Hawthorn play Geelong? How about Hird-Thompson's Plan B when Essendon are being totally walloped by us (it has happened 3 times in Hird-Thompson's short time as coach of Essendon)?

Plan B does not exist in the arsenal of any AFL coach. If it did, those teams fortunate enough to be coached by a coach with a Plan B would be perennially undefeated. Plan B is a figment of the imagination of those supporters who have agendas related to certain coaches.
This is exactly right. Game plans are built around the players that a club has available. The "game plan" may evolve a little over the year but in reality, the only plan B that any coach can really enact during a game is to go to a one-on-one game, which really means follow the other team around and beat them at their own game. Works sometimes particularly if a side is really good in close but in reality, it just makes a team reactionary.

Geelong went Premier, Runner UP, Premier, Prelim, Premier without a plan B so I think you can. What changes did Malthouse make in the 2010 GF when Goddard and Hayes were dragging the Saints back into the game without the help their other 20 teammates? He backed his team structure to come through and if it wasn't for a bad bounce they would have lost the GF ( don't worry about the bad bounce which wrong footed Milne's opponent in the first place). I agree that Malthouse is strong on system but not sure if he is prepared to throw it out the window and adopt a plan B.

Geelong had a great plan B - Go back out there and play plan A better

Another comparison we can draw is how we match up against the measuring stick for now - Hawthorn

Best Backmen:
Gibson, Suckling, Stratton, Birchall, Guerra, Shoenmakers, Burgoyne
Jamison, Laidler, Henderson, Yarran, McInnes, Tuohy, Scotland

Best Midfielders:
Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Shiels, Whitecross, Smith, Hale
Judd, Murphy, Simpson, Carrazzo, Gibbs, McLean, Robinson, Kreuzer

Best Forwards:
Franklin, Roughead, Rioli, Breust, Puopolo, Gunston, Savage
Waite, Walker, Betts, Garlett, Armfield, Hampson, Casboult

I see it as even on paper down back. We're even-ish in the midfield and they're far superior up forward.

They beat us everywhere on cohesion and structures though.

Here's a comparison of Mick's 2010 premiership side versus our equivalents.

B: Maxwell Laidler, Brown Jamison, Davis Yarran
HB: O'Brien McInnes, Reid Henderson, Shaw Tuohy
C: Wellingham Simpson, Swan Judd, Thomas Gibbs
HF: Didak Walker, Cloke Cloke, Beams Garlett
FF: Brown Hampson, Dawes Waite, Sidebottom Betts
R: Jolly Kreuzer, Ball Murphy, Pendlebury Carrazzo
IC: Johnson Scotland, Blair Mclean, Toovey Robinson, Macaffer Armfield

Fairly even but the top liners in Collingwood's midfield of Ball-Swan-Pendlebury gives them the midfield edge on paper, we've shown them up with both sides missing key players.

The Yarran dilemma is an interesting one, we don't have another player that can sufficiently fill his role down back but Mick would love him higher up the ground.

Gibbs' progression AGAIN makes a huge difference.

:) lol

the malthouse will turn the depth players into actual players who can rotate through the team, not fill numbers ala lucas, joseph, tuphy sometimes, armfield sometimes, curnow, ellard

This is exactly right. Game plans are built around the players that a club has available. The "game plan" may evolve a little over the year but in reality, the only plan B that any coach can really enact during a game is to go to a one-on-one game, which really means follow the other team around and beat them at their own game. Works sometimes particularly if a side is really good in close but in reality, it just makes a team reactionary.

Agree in part but Other Plan B's include:
Backs to forwards eg Adam Hunter to the forward line in 06-07 WC finals because Lynch couldn't cut it in big games
Versitile players like Kouta,Goodes and Pav to where ever your team needs them.
Midfielders to the Forward line because they are having no influence eg Cotchin once Carrots applied the glove.

With the game becoming more structured flexible players would seem to becoming less previlent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong went Premier, Runner UP, Premier, Prelim, Premier without a plan B so I think you can.

it's about having a Plan A that is very tough to overcome rather than necessarily having a great Plan B

our Plan A was great for the first 3 rounds but once Essendon showed other teams how it could be broken down our season fell away, it was too easily dismanted by opposition tactics

What I hope for:

1. No favourites. Players get rewarded for effort and result only.
2. Isolate and develop players as "types" to fit into a considered game plan.
3. Have the whole coaching panel and players on the same page. No ambiguity in what is required from each individual and the collective.

What I expect:

1. Gibbs to be released from the back-line at all cost. The upside of getting Gibbs playing centre and moving forward will outweigh him playing Mr. Fixit.
2. Yarran to start moving up the ground. With Gibbs and Yarran releasing into the forward 50, we'll be miles in front.
3. More protection for Judd and Murphy. Need our key play-makers taken care of.
4. Reward the kids with games where possible and not wait until we've exhausted the preferred grouping.

What he said. :thumbsu:

GAME PLAN
Going Hunting

WE can only hope the projector in the Visy Park theatrette isn't prone to overheating.

The Blues will spend as much time in the classroom as on the turf over summer as they try to learn the Malthouse way.

On the most recent evidence - Collingwood in 2011 - Malthouse engineered a side that:

PLAYED the boundary the most in the competition.

HAD the second highest kick-to-handball ratio.

HAD the best press in the competition, ranking No.1 for time spent in forward half, second in turnovers created forward of centre and stoppages created forward of centre.

RANKED a clear No.1 in contested ball and had the second-best tackle differential.

Malthouse sides hunt the ball and the man, and encourage constant forward movement through long and direct kicking.

Under Ratten, Carlton didn't favour an area of the ground to move the ball, but they did go short by foot the third most and backward/lateral the fourth most.

Analysts say this won't happen under Malthouse's coaching.

Contested ball and tackling won't be a concern, with the Blues ranking sixth and first in differential in these areas this year. They did press in 2011 with reasonable success, but that faded this season.

Malthouse is a meticulous planner and those who have worked on his coaching panel say that during games he's more likely to persist and show faith in his players than hit the panic button and swing changes.

"Some coaches will say, 'I'd sooner be damned trying something than not', but Mick isn't that type of coach," a former assistant said.

"He believes in his processes and his pre-planning."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...reins-at-carlton/story-e6frf9jf-1226472156410

Good article by Edmund, even though he is a Blues fan and there may be some bias.

To be quite frank, I don't care what game plan Malthouse and the other coaches come up with, as long as it wins games consistently and we make it hard for the opposition to score against us. Unlike this year under Ratts, where our "press" disappeared and getting through any press we had was like a hot knife through butter. If it means going along the boundary line then so be it. I would take that over the risk/reward type footy through the corridor we played this year. I hated the type of football we played this year. Compared to last year, our pressure was non-existent, we were unaccountable, more often than not second to the contest and we were terrible at the stoppages.

I really cannot wait to see what Mick brings to the table. I just hope he instills a ruthless attitude into the group, something that I don't think Ratts did.

4. Reward the kids with games where possible and not wait until we've exhausted the preferred grouping.

How much is Mick going to love Bootsma? Mick will be ecstatic to have a better version of Toovey at his disposal.

Bucks and Dale will also benefit from Mick's no nonsense coaching which will eradicate some of their unfavourable traits (more so Dale who lacks composure some times).

I wonder what sort of Ruckman MM will prefer.
1. Good Tap Ruckman who doesn't take many marks, can't play forward and doesn't compete overly well at ground level - Warnock
2. Ok Tap ruckman who doesn't take many marks, can't play forward but competes well at ground level and around the field - Kreuzer
3. Average tap ruckman who can take a mark and can pinch hit forward to and competes ok at ground level - Hampson

We have three reasonable ruckmen, all of whom have different strengths and weaknesses. Warnock will give us first use most of the time in the center but that doesn't always translate to good results. Kreuzer's taps are great when he's winning it and competes well when it's on the ground or in play but hasn't really mastered playing tall and taking marks and using his body for contested marking. Hampson rucks ok and drops a few marks but he's the best mark out of the lot of our ruckmen and unlike the others he can play forward a bit, it means he can rest forward and still impact the game and that means we can maintain our three tall forward structure but do we lose in the middle by picking him over one of the others? The other factor is which ruckmen will improve in 2013 under new coaches. They might all start taking marks, rucking better and competing better in general play. I expect Kreuzer will be our number one ruck again but I wouldn't be surprised if Mick favors a ruck who is better and more consistent in the air. He does like a ruck who can go forward and the idea of having two ruckmen who are dangerous up forward (Casbould and Hampson) would be tempting but I think he will also like Kreuzers smart tap work and competitiveness at ground level. Or will Casboult be purely key position and Hampson the ruck forward and Mitchell misses out for Waite?

It's going to be difficult and very interesting to see what directing we go with our rucks next year. The dilemma continues...

I wonder what sort of Ruckman MM will prefer.
1. Good Tap Ruckman who doesn't take many marks, can't play forward and doesn't compete overly well at ground level - Warnock
2. Ok Tap ruckman who doesn't take many marks, can't play forward but competes well at ground level and around the field - Kreuzer
3. Average tap ruckman who can take a mark and can pinch hit forward to and competes ok at ground level - Hampson

Given he used Josh Fraser so much it has to be Kreuzer who is a similar type. Neither Warnock nor Hampson are up to Jolly class so he has to make do with what he is given. There are not many Dean Cox's around

What I hope for:

1. No favourites. Players get rewarded for effort and result only.
2. Isolate and develop players as "types" to fit into a considered game plan.
3. Have the whole coaching panel and players on the same page. No ambiguity in what is required from each individual and the collective.

What I expect:

1. Gibbs to be released from the back-line at all cost. The upside of getting Gibbs playing centre and moving forward will outweigh him playing Mr. Fixit.
2. Yarran to start moving up the ground. With Gibbs and Yarran releasing into the forward 50, we'll be miles in front.
3. More protection for Judd and Murphy. Need our key play-makers taken care of.

Can't argue with any of that Harks, well said.

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw Walker shifted into the midfield permanently and do very well. The physical side of his game got some real aggression this year. He may not be the smartest footballer but he could be the type that Mick can program well. Still has enormous upside in my opinion.

Can't argue with any of that Harks, well said.

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw Walker shifted into the midfield permanently and do very well. The physical side of his game got some real aggression this year. He may not be the smartest footballer but he could be the type that Mick can program well. Still has enormous upside in my opinion.

Agree with Walker. His field kicking seemed to take a big step forward this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back