News List Changes - Thank you LOB, Honey & Philp

Remove this Banner Ad

Wishing all the boys the best of luck in the future.

Honey has all the attributes of a footballing athlete and was good in front of goal, but struggled getting his own ball unless out in open space. Could have been retained as depth but was at the bottom of a long list of small forward types. Will be in a VFL side next year.

Hard luck story for me is Philp. Showed many AFL quality attributes but also had the fumbles a lot as well. Could've been a star and was highly regarded in the club, but I suspect we're looking to acquire/draft a replacement. He's a smart man (read he got a 90+ ATAR) and is exactly the type we need now but struggled with injuries and was never able to get a consistent run. Met his father once and he told me that he'd never missed a game in his juniors so it's a shame he got injured as much as he did. I've been told that * have been speaking to him in the off chance he got delisted.

OB1's delisting has been on the cards all year. I wasn't told he was going, only that his time at the AFL club was more than likely finished. I took it as being on the trade table. Last year he was given a 2 year contract with the first front ended so that there was an option to delist him and pay him out outside the salary cap. This was all subject to getting Acres and who was available during our draft selection. A lot of forward thinking from the List Management team. If we didn't get Acres or draft Dutchy/Binns he would still be on the list.
As much as OB1 has been a whipping boy by some here, he's always had admirers as well. What I enjoyed seeing was his beaming grin each time he kicked a goal. You an tell how much it meant to him because he smiled all the way through to the next centre bounce. I believe there is at least 2 AFL teams speaking to him but he's also a chance to stay on with our VFL side.

It's a fine line between making it or not. Thought after a game a couple of years ago that we have found a ripper in Honey. Injuries can severely impact a players ability to recover their best form again.

I remember Shaun Hampson after struggling for years had a one month purple patch and then finally after finding what we hoped he would be got injured again. And that was it for him.

It's a fine line between making it or not. Thought after a game a couple of years ago that we have found a ripper in Honey. Injuries can severely impact a players ability to recover their best form again.

I remember Shaun Hampson after struggling for years had a one month purple patch and then finally after finding what we hoped he would be got injured again. And that was it for him.
I thought McInnes was going to be as good as if not better than Jamison was. Good size, terrific read of the game, seemingly unflappable.

Gott injured and never found the same level of confidence again.

I thought McInnes was going to be as good as if not better than Jamison was. Good size, terrific read of the game, seemingly unflappable.

Gott injured and never found the same level of confidence again.
was tracking to be the only non-bust from that draft for us...........

Yep would be happy to rookie Philp if his pre-season, hopefully on our invite, warrants it
Nah his body has proven to be too unreliable. Imagine if he broke down in a Grand Final?.
We already have enough players with unreliable bodies like Marchy, Cuners, McGovern & Martin without carrying another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lob will go on to be a very good player at another club. Joining Stocker as another afl quality player let go for nothing.
If he does, it'll be great for him but I suspect that he'll end up having to earn another gig via the VFL.
Each of those delisted has some AFL level attributes but also some clear deficiencies & as disappointing as this no doubt is for them, they can still make it & I doubt that anyone would begrudge them if they do.

Although extremely disappointed that Lochie has been delisted I understand it’s a tough business

The fact is he has played 66 games more than I ever did for my beloved Blues and always gave it his best.

I have said on numerous occasions that culture and development before Voss arrived was extremely poor and many draftees suffered. Timing in life can be everything.

Hopefully he will get a go somewhere else and realise his potential. Fingers crossed

Whatever happens he will do well in his life. He is quality kid with great loving parents. 🙏
This is a great post - thankyou for writing it, I am really glad you were able to return and share it with us. Thankyou also for your insight into the human elements of the life of an AFL player, and all the little things that go with it - things that most of us could not know and would never experience.

I wish Lochie and his family the very best, in football and in life. I had very high hopes for him, and I am disappointed it was not to be, because it wasn't for lack of trying. Go well young man.

didn't see much of philp but obviously had a terrible time with injury. such bad luck to land a spot but through no fault of your own, don't even get a chance to stake your claim in the team. unfortunate cameron giles vibes.

honey certainly had the physical attributes, but not a lot of the ball. may have had the makings of the power mid/forward most sides would like to have. wouldn't be surprised to see it all come together for him and he cracks the game open at a lower level and gets another chance.

lob had a pretty solid career, played some decent footy before being overtaken by others. likewise, no surprises if he were to play some solid footy in another afl side. may need to grow a beard and/or sport a buzz cut.

best of luck, all

Lob will go on to be a very good player at another club. Joining Stocker as another afl quality player let go for nothing.
Promise me you never move into list management.
Both unfortunately didn't work out here, Stocker fringe 22 at the Saints and Lob VFL all season with us. What are these elusive riches you are referring to that we are missing out on.

Promise me you never move into list management.
Both unfortunately didn't work out here, Stocker fringe 22 at the Saints and Lob VFL all season with us. What are these elusive riches you are referring to that we are missing out on.
You really wanna do this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back