Toast Mark Blicavs - 50th game

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure, Seeds. That's what I was asking - I don't focus on midfield setups so couldn't say if he was there all the time or not.
The commentators made a big deal of him early in the game but they were pretty quiet about him for long periods later on. Hitout figures per quarter were 7-2-3-3. Not sure if that sheds any light on anything.

Where did you get the break down of hitouts per quarter?

Just when I had him pigeonholed as a KPD and future full back he goes out and gets 15 hit outs and 7 marks in the ruck again, versatile bastard screwed me over again!! I suppose next week it'll be back in the midfield cutting Pendles out of the game before going to the back flank for a while then sneaking forward for a quick goal at centre half forward.

I think he will redefine the word utility in the game.
At his size, he can compete in the ruck, especially as 3rd man up, he can play down back as a 3rd tall and is reading the play well enough to play the HT-esq player coming across for the intercept marks.

He can play MF ( a basic generalisation) currently and does reasonably well in contested situations.

At his height, he can provide a marking target in link up play.

And he can run his opponent around all day.

I doubt there is another player in the game that can tick all those boxes.

With all that, he is yet to master any one of them - but he is on such a learning curve that I don't think he ever will master one - but on current trajectory he could become very efficient at all of them - and that would a crazy proposition.

sometimes its not ability - its work rate, effort and attitude. A few more footy talented guys on our list could take a lesson or two here.

Go Catters

Loving this guy more and more every week. Watching the naysayers eat humble pie never gets old.
I can't believe a heap of morons wrote blicavs off on this site before the season started.... You can see he still has plenty of improvement in him but it was fairly obvious that he had some talent , to hold your spot in a side that was a premiership contender the last three years when u have played virtually no footy is a remarkable achievement .... He is now potentially leading our b and f and our most important player! Again to those that wrote him off you it's time to eat your words lol

I can't believe a heap of morons wrote blicavs off on this site before the season started.... You can see he still has plenty of improvement in him but it was fairly obvious that he had some talent , to hold your spot in a side that was a premiership contender the last three years when u have played virtually no footy is a remarkable achievement .... He is now potentially leading our b and f and our most important player! Again to those that wrote him off you it's time to eat your words lol

I'd like to see that!!

Those critics are conspicuously quiet….and still seem reticent to comment on his excellent displays so far this year….the silence is deafening.

I'd like to see that!!

Those critics are conspicuously quiet….and still seem reticent to comment on his excellent displays so far this year….the silence is deafening.
Don't worry, David. He's bringing them around. It might be as slow as the pace of the Queen Mary's turn, but they're coming over, slowly, slowly. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just when I had him pigeonholed as a KPD and future full back he goes out and gets 15 hit outs and 7 marks in the ruck again, versatile bastard screwed me over again!! I suppose next week it'll be back in the midfield cutting Pendles out of the game before going to the back flank for a while then sneaking forward for a quick goal at centre half forward.
Prophetic!

Prophetic!
The other thing he gives us is a tall ruck rover ala freo style mid but with an extra two -three inches... Also I don't have the stats but I think having him being that third man up is probably helping us in our weakest area the clearances... Obviously sides will set up for this third man up moving forward but on the flip side of that it will allow us to find other opportunities to clear the ball.

I'm starting to think blicavs is becoming the player everyone thought Matthew Kruezer would become ... Yet we didn't tank to get the number one pick to get him and he is a hell of a lot more durable ! Lol

it seems poor old blit-scavs might not be getting much recognition from the umps, but is getting the commentators all warm and tingly. barrett's sliding doors had this to say this week;

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 8.54.03 am.png

as someone who wasn't keen on him getting so many games 'without earning them' i am really stoked at how well he has come on, and it has changed my view on sharing games around amongst the kids so much, but rather now i think scotty is right to pour games into a few kids you think will eventually 'make it' even though they might not be showing it at present.

I'd like to see that!!

Well I was definitely one of his critics and I've praised him quite a few times in recent weeks. No silence here.

Well I was definitely one of his critics and I've praised him quite a few times in recent weeks. No silence here.
You have no issue potting them - you do praise them. :thumbsu:

Go Catters

This year...wasn't anyone like that..this year was there? Some were calling for him to spend time in the VFL that I remember.

The one thing I will say Dave ..you have about 60 posts to your name... if you stay here long enough , and are brave enough to express your opinion ...you will document something that will make you look silly in retrospect. Its a lay down misere. Its an opinion website , and as long it doesn't get personal , people have the right to be wrong.

Ripping article in this week's Inside Football about Blicavs and his insatiable appetite to sound out advice from both the coaching staff and his more experienced teammates in order to improve himself. Apparently in the game against Gold Coast, he smashed a club record by covering 18.4km in a game. To put that into perspective, most top line midfielders cover 15-16km a game.

Ripping article in this week's Inside Football about Blicavs and his insatiable appetite to sound out advice from both the coaching staff and his more experienced teammates in order to improve himself. Apparently in the game against Gold Coast, he smashed a club record by covering 18.4km in a game. To put that into perspective, most top line midfielders cover 15-16km a game.

Al;so, he had a much prettier running pattern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back