Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/733685.html

Mark Waugh has confirmed an approach from Cricket Australia to join the national selection panel, as other selectors weigh up their futures.

Always considered a sharp and plain-speaking observer of the game, Waugh had not seriously considered an official selection role before now. But as members of the current panel, including the national selector John Inverarity, consider whether or not to extend contracts due to expire in June, Waugh is open to the idea.

Employed by the Ten Network as a Twenty20 Big Bash League commentator, Waugh said the travel demands of the selection role, which would require his presence for regular overseas tours and domestic games, were the main factors currently giving him pause.

"I am still speaking to them [CA],'' Waugh told the Courier-Mail. "I am weighing up the commitment to time away from home and how it will affect my media commitments. I am keen to get involved as a selector but I am not sure about the timing at the moment. It is quite a big commitment.

"Every time the Australian team is overseas there has to be a selector there. Then you have commitments back in Australia, plus the Australia A side. You have to decide whether you want to juggle that and spend time away from home. I am definitely interested but I have not made up my mind yet.''

Inverarity said earlier this week that he had not yet decided on his future, but CA's approach to Waugh is the strongest suggestion yet that the panel will change significantly.

"My contract when I joined in November 2011 was for up to the end of June this year," Inverarity said. "In the coming weeks and months I will discuss with CA whether I will continue to play a role in the national selection panel, and that's where it is. It's yet to be finally decided."

One of the Argus review's recommendations was for the appointment of a fulltime national selector, later unveiled as Inverarity, with better pay and conditions for other members of the panel. Rod Marsh and Andy Bichel are the other selectors, alongside the national team coach Darren Lehmann.

Before the review, Simon Katich had levelled heavy criticism of the previous selection panel, which included a part-time chairman in Andrew Hilditch and the current national talent manager Greg Chappell.

"When you talk about money, you get the best in the business for paying. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys," Katich said in June 2011. "There has been talk about that [full-time selectors] for a while now but nothing has been done about it. It's a business, there's no doubt about that, that's just the way sport has gone. Being realistic it's got to go that way, because you're dealing with guys' careers."

Good news for Henriques and Cooper.

It also appears that many of the current selectors may leave. I hope Inverarity stays. I think he's done a very good job and is probably one of the more open selectors in world cricket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/733685.html

Good news for Henriques and Cooper.

It also appears that many of the current selectors may leave. I hope Inverarity stays. I think he's done a very good job and is probably one of the more open selectors in world cricket.

I think Inverarity has done a good job too, I don't really get all the nutty professor stuff that gets thrown at him.

One thing that might be good having a completely one-eyed NSW ex-player in the job is that SOK might get a chance and we'll finally know whether he's of any use internationally or not. Tired of him doing so well at first class and never getting a go.

Henriques will probably end up first pick in all formats.

Invers is retiring - apart from the India series - where I found some of the selections baffling at best - he's done a great job.

Here's a left field option and conspiracy theory for you..........

A very wise cricket man - who watches every game fastidiously and knows the ins and outs of the scene has recently pulled back from a media gig for no apparent reason.....

Invers is retiring - apart from the India series - where I found some of the selections baffling at best - he's done a great job.

Here's a left field option and conspiracy theory for you..........

A very wise cricket man - who watches every game fastidiously and knows the ins and outs of the scene has recently pulled back from a media gig for no apparent reason.....

Kerry would be great if possible.

Mark Waugh's next Australian test summer team

Nic Maddinon
David Warner
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke (c)
Steve Smith
Moises Henriques
Brad Haddin (+ vc)
Mitch Johnson
James Pattinson (Victoria)
Jackson Bird
Nathan Lyon

#amIdoingitright
12th man: Richard Chee Quee

People have accused of NSW bias for the last ten years or so whilst there has been no ex-NSW player on the selection panel, hate to see what this place will be like now.

Mark Waugh's next Australian test summer team

Nic Maddinon
David Warner
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke (c)
Steve Smith
Moises Henriques
Brad Haddin (+ vc)
Mitch Johnson
James Pattinson (Victoria)
Jackson Bird
Nathan Lyon

#amIdoingitright

Needs more Moises. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would this mean an end to his work in the media?

If so god yes make him a selector.

I don't mind his commentary or work on Inside Cricket. Something about how deapan he is when shitcanning someone/something makes me laugh.

Moises Henriques to open the batting and bowling, captain and be the best fielder (of which every time it is mentioned he misfields or drops a catch)
you beat me to! it, but moises will have sean abbot as his vice caption

if it came down to picking Mark Waugh or scarecrow, id pick the scarecrow, M Waugh is a flog of the highest order
scarecrow.jpg

I like junior and I think his analysis of the game is real good, but when judging individual players he becomes very clouded and is massively bias towards NSW players.

Shane Warne is the exact same but his bias isn't along state lines - It's just whether he likes the person or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back