Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox is not slow by the way. He just doesn't have the acceleration and the agility to catch the smaller players. I'm pretty sure Cox's top end speed is higher than Bobby Hill's.
Yes, he is good once wound up.
But by then it is usually to late and the ball has exited the area.
Considering his legs and the distance each step he takes is, Bobby would be doing two to one! Not surprised Cox could outpace at peak speed.

That is a disappointing answer. He flew thousands of miles to a country he had never been to to try out for a game he'd never heard of and left behind a high paying secure job offer to have the grand adventure and ultimately says without hesitation he would never want his theoretical son to play the indigenous game of a country he now calls home after being naturalised?

Did Brayden follow up with the word, "Why?" If it is related to the many injuries he has sustained I would understand, but outside of that one reason anything else would be a disappointing response. Why wouldn't you want your son to play the greatest game on earth and one in which you made your name and fame (even if only in Australia)?
Pathways, across the world, are better for basketballers. And potential earnings count in the tens of millions.
Now Cox is a failed basketballer by his own admission. But I'm sure he would prefer his sons to take the basketball path, for health and financials.

Coxy played a really good game on Saturday. It was a game at about the level we should expect every week.

His issue is always about backing it up. Let’s hope he can do it next week and the week after.

Btw, he is league worst at ground balls. Let’s not kid ourselves here.
What people are saying is his groundball work is a lot better what's expected from a 7 foot player. He has fast hands and can read the play exceptionally well and also has good awareness of what's happening around him. Dare I say it? It's probably his basketball background.

I expect it is the injuries. To Cox’s way of thinking, it’s a laughably brutal game, and he has the scars to prove it. I don’t blame him to think of his future hypothetical kids’ wellbeing after all he has been through.
Have heard him speak about it before - it has only ever been in jest and its more about the NBA dollars than the bash factor.

Big Mase can be snarky from time to time. He did give a fairly laughing description of the time he received a "Tour of The Facilities" and how proud the Pies admin was of them. He didn't have the heart to say how much better and bigger his training facilities were at OSU, not to mention the private jets.

Last edited:
Have heard him speak about it before - it has only ever been in jest and its more about the NBA dollars than the bash factor.

Big Mase can be snarky from time to time. He did give a fairly laughing description of the time he received a "Tour of The Facilities" and how proud the Pies admin was of them. He didn't have the heard to say how much better and bigger his training facilities were at OSU, not to mention the private jets.
Slave labour on the pre-NIL scale will tend to bankroll some pretty impressive facilities…

Slave labour on the pre-NIL scale will tend to bankroll some pretty impressive facilities…
Reckon the NIL dollars might have been what persuaded a college golfer named Gordon Sargent to agree last week to stay on at Vanderbilt for his senior year and defer his PGA Tour exemption for a year.

Coxy played a really good game on Saturday. It was a game at about the level we should expect every week.

His issue is always about backing it up. Let’s hope he can do it next week and the week after.

Grundy used to be number 1 in ground ball gets and where did that get us. Coxy's job is to give us 1st use at a ball up and take some intercept marks. There is low need for him to be on his hands and knees scrambling. I feel he's playing his role well. The big guy is also capable of going forward and reliable kick on goal.

Now he's sporting the glove, who knows where he can go.

Grundy used to be number 1 in ground ball gets and where did that get us. Coxy's job is to give us 1st use at a ball up and take some intercept marks. There is low need for him to be on his hands and knees scrambling. I feel he's playing his role well. The big guy is also capable of going forward and reliable kick on goal.

The first tee?

Although, I love it when he does, having his giraffe legs and arms swinging everywhere, tangling up an opposition player, its not elegant, sometimes effective

I’m not talking about getting on his hands and knees.

I’m talking about either picking a ball up when standing or even accepting a handball. Anything that isn’t a mark or a tap.

Reckon the NIL dollars might have been what persuaded a college golfer named Gordon Sargent to agree last week to stay on at Vanderbilt for his senior year and defer his PGA Tour exemption for a year.

It’s having the same effect on NCAAF/NFL too which is a good thing, these students actually completing their degrees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was good agin the big fella. We’ve got a nice affordable combo with him and Darce.
Cameron is also in fine form, and works a lot of ruck craft into his game. Dinky forward marks, good taps and not-embarrassing on the deck.

Cox is competent at all those things, not a s good as Darcy as a 4 quarter ruck, but a much better impact player: takes more impressive pack marks, makes one or two big centre taps in a row, and gets in enemies faces. He currently has the upper hand on a couple of defenders eg Ratagulea, who is a strong tough player.

That is a disappointing answer. He flew thousands of miles to a country he had never been to to try out for a game he'd never heard of and left behind a high paying secure job offer to have the grand adventure and ultimately says without hesitation he would never want his theoretical son to play the indigenous game of a country he now calls home after being naturalised?

Did Brayden follow up with the word, "Why?" If it is related to the many injuries he has sustained I would understand, but outside of that one reason anything else would be a disappointing response. Why wouldn't you want your son to play the greatest game on earth and one in which you made your name and fame (even if only in Australia)?

Lot more money to be made if the NBA becomes an option. Growing up in Australia though, at least his kids will get exposure to Aussie rules and ultimately it’ll be their choice.

He’s generally not trying to “get” the ground ball though, just tap it to advantage which he very good at.

Cox is the most Overrated player in the AFL

IF he was 11-13cm would not be on a AFL list
s**t take. Took a critical mark late. Was reasonable and we certainly look more competitive in the ruck when he’s the one taking it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back