Toast Sidebottom (300 games) // Cox (100 games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Steele Sidebottom, a Premiership player, a leader, a 300 gamer and one of the all time champions of our club. Officially one of the greats. Let's have a big win for him, and let's see a great game from him tomorrow. Make it one to remember lads.

Play people to their strengths, don't try to mould people into something they're not. Exhibit A:

"...
McRae believes the biggest aspect behind Sidebottom returning to his best was putting him in a position that would complement his strengths.

With his running capacity long vaunted at Collingwood, one of McRae’s first moves was placing Sidebottom on a wing with Josh Daicos occupying the other.

“I think prior to me - I shouldn't make too many comments about it – but I think he might have played a few different roles,” McRae said.

“But I knew Steele had this unbelievable running capability, he is our best runner - we've got Nick Daicos who has slightly gone past him now - but he's an incredible match-day runner.

“I remember this, I thought, ‘Steele let's get back to work, we’ll play you on the wing train you as a wingman and get to work on that and your fundamentals’.

“Then all of a sudden, the growth within the group and him have come along for the ride and it looks like he's at the top of his game.”

..."

Last edited:
Play people to their strengths, don't try to mould people into something they're not. Exhibit A:

"...
McRae believes the biggest aspect behind Sidebottom returning to his best was putting him in a position that would complement his strengths.

With his running capacity long vaunted at Collingwood, one of McRae’s first moves was placing Sidebottom on a wing with Josh Daicos occupying the other.

“I think prior to me - I shouldn't make too many comments about it – but I think he might have played a few different roles,” McRae said.

“But I knew Steele had this unbelievable running capability, he is our best runner - we've got Nick Daicos who has slightly gone past him now - but he's an incredible match-day runner.

“I remember this, I thought, ‘Steele let's get back to work, we’ll play you on the wing train you as a wingman and get to work on that and your fundamentals’.

“Then all of a sudden, the growth within the group and him have come along for the ride and it looks like he's at the top of his game.”

..."
I didn't think he was as bad as others felt in 2021. He was playing inside mid in a rabble. He would get the ball, create space, look up and have no one to kick to, so he'd hold on try to create space again and get done holding the ball. It looked s**t from him, but it wasn't as bad as it looked from him. It was the product of a s**t team. The wing does suit him much more though.

I didn't think he was as bad as others felt in 2021. He was playing inside mid in a rabble. He would get the ball, create space, look up and have no one to kick to, so he'd hold on try to create space again and get done holding the ball. It looked s**t from him, but it wasn't as bad as it looked from him. It was the product of a s**t team. The wing does suit him much more though.

I felt that Steele looked wooden and slow, that time had passed him by. Unfairly so.

I felt that Steele looked wooden and slow, that time had passed him by. Unfairly.
He's never been fast. But he was still getting the ball and using his tricks to create space, but he wasn't using that space to dispose and instead trying to create space for the second time. Holding the ball. It was very Blair like footy, but as much to do with us being a shambles ahead of the ball as to do with Steele having lost it.

He's never been fast. But he was still getting the ball and using his tricks to create space, but he wasn't using that space to dispose and instead trying to create space for the second time. Holding the ball. It was very Blair like footy, but as much to do with us being a shambles ahead of the ball as to do with Steele having lost it.

Which would compound into general dissatisfaction with his work and it showed on the field. Vicious loop.

Everyone wants to do well at their job.

The last few chapters of his career will be happier ones.

Which would compound into general dissatisfaction with his work and it showed on the field. Vicious loop.

Everyone wants to do well at their job.

The last few chapters of his career will be happier ones.
Yep. Plus copping a physical pounding more than any other time in his career - that Sidey verve and smile that makes everyone else smile was missing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to the boys, well done.

Now get breeding. Not together of course.
I dunno, a 7ft tall player who can run all day and accumulate with the best of them, with natural forward instances sounds pretty good to me.
Time to get the genetic engineering dept on to splicing those boys tadpoles.

"...

..."
One of the most infuriating aspects of Buckley’s tenure was him trying to mould players in to something they’re not.

Good effort by Coxy to reach 100 games, I didn't think he'd ever see that. I am slowly warming to him more with him playing some good games and being more useful.

Sad for Sidey not to be able to playout his 300th, but what an effort for him to get there. Truly amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back