Memorable Games?

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's many.

The one point win over The Eagles in 1992, very saitsfying after falling short by a point the week before on the Monday to The Sainters. We got The Bulldogs the next week by a goal as well. A very memorable time that patch as we had some great wins and some close losses.

Lost to The Blues in that centenary match on a Thursday.
Beat The Crows by 5 points at Football Park on a Sunday Night
Beat top pf the table Geelong in the wet with Daicos's freak soccer from the boundary
lose to Fitzroy by 3 points
The Saints by 1
Beat the inform Eagles in perth coming back from 31 down and snapped their winning streak
Beat Footscray by a goal who were top of the ladder

That's just in 1992 alone

1993 McGuane goal vs the Blues in a 6 goal win in front of 88,000 fans.

Too many to name actually.

Rocca's big bag of 11 in 1998 against Freo.
I could be here all day.

Just quickly The Power wins in 2002 and 2003 as well as Adelaide in 2002 and The Lions in 2003. Swans and Eagles finals wins in 2007. Adelaide in 2008 from 5 goals down and getting them again in 2009. Of course the whole 2010 finals and the 2011 Prelim vs The Hawks. Beating West Coast in 2011 and 2012.

Richmond in 2018
Last years Finals I'll take them with me to my grave. Bobby Hill. Someone thank him for me literally.

Buckley's last game as coach (Round 13, 2021) will always be a memorable one. Went out a took the scalp of the eventual premiers in Melbourne and sent him off on a high. I'll never forget after the players had finished singing the song in the rooms the camera just panning and zooming in on Bucks. The feeling of the moment was one of closure for me, Buckley being the first player I ever knew and recognised as a young Collingwood supporter. All besides the emotion, we played really well that game, must go rewatch it.

No matter what you think of Bucks, then and now, his DNA is in the 2023 Premiership.

The one that sticks in my mind was the Pies V Port final in Adelaide (2002) when Bucks didn't play, all odds against us we got up, we've had a few of similar types in finals, Pies beating WCE over there in 2020 & 2007 after scores level at the end. Pies v Crows, Anthony goal to win it in 2009.

In particular I remember R15 2019 from time to time, a pretty sad loss to the 11th placed North while sitting 2nd keeping us to one of our lowest scores in modern footy followed by a couple other thumpings from Richmond/GWS a few weeks later had me deflated for our chances heading into finals to do anything meaningful deep in September to avenge '18.

On a more positive note, two weeks later in R17 we headed over to Optus Stadium and took down the Eagles by a point in a bit of a precursor to the style we'd eventually win the majority of our games in '22/23. This game meant a lot more to us than just 4 points at the time I know, combined with another close win against them in the EF the next year.

2009 SF vs Adelaide at the MCG. Jack Anthony the unlikeliest of all winners

2005 vs West Coast at Docklands. We defeated the 1st placed Eagles after a heavy loss to Freo

2022 Round 23 vs Carlton. Knocked Carlton out of the finals
This win was huge, but was actually at the MCG 😁 it was a big game for because my Grandparents took me out for my birthday and my Pa and myself listened to Q1 on the radio.

My Stepfather (massive parasite) was a North fan, and jealous of the pies no matter where they were on the ladder. Typical Canberran. Had to ring my Pa for the final result about four hours after it finished, because the parasite forced me out of the house, wouldn't let me see any news or media surrounding the match and banned me from watching any football for months because I got the result from my Pa. Absolute pissant!

Did we lose to the Dockers the week before? YEEESSSSHHH I remember us being 9.2 to 0.1 at quarter time and losing by 111... ☠️☠️☠️

The 2022 game against Carlton, i remember watching us coming back nursing my daughter to sleep thinking "we must be taking the piss". I blurted those words out when Billy put us in front. Just had no right to win a lot of those games in 2022, but under Fly we prosper!
2002 QF against Port was huge.
2018 PF against Tiges.

Both against the odds, but brilliant wins.

2002 round 8 we played Brisbane and won by under a kick. For a H&A match this sticks out in my mind. This match had everything including Voss getting knocked out.

I was working 2018 PF and just remember the noise. Mate was a St Kilda fan and HATED the tuggers. We just jumped them in Q1, then I was taking a deuce in the disabled toilets behind my retail shop when Coxy took that first mark, and I remember the WHOLE ground shook. The roar was AAAMMMAAAZZZZIIINNNNGGGG. That's what football is all about.

Your quoting the 2002 games brings back memories. The Brissy game I just remember us being complete underdogs. Unfortunately got pipped by Port in Adelaide the week after, after being down by five goals at quarter time. Pebbles kicked one over the post and Kane gave Dutchy the finger.

The QF I wanted to go with my Pa to Adelaide. He was took crook with his shoulder. I remember Wakes and the bird from some show on the back of the paper and them giving us no chance. 31k to witness the final. Should have gotten 80k plus in Melbourne. 2002 was an incredible year. My first as member. I'll never forget Pebbles dobbing one from 75 having led up on a Lonie line break in the PF against the Crows. Was a great Q3.

Carry on everyone!

The one that sticks in my mind was the Pies V Port final in Adelaide (2002) when Bucks didn't play, all odds against us we got up, we've had a few of similar types in finals, Pies beating WCE over there in 2020 & 2007 after scores level at the end. Pies v Crows, Anthony goal to win it in 2009.
Port 2002 was at Footy Park not at the MCG

The 81 GF... crying on the train on the way home.. 13yrs old.
Games at a packed VFL park... particularly being insane hungover at 17 and my mates Dad drowning in after shave and mid winter car heater on high... barfed chunks when we parked in the Carpark... how I held from Macleod to Waverly... should have got 3 votes.
First Anzac day game.
2022 last round vs filth! Loudest roar I've heard!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2002 QF against Port was huge.
2018 PF against Tiges.

Both against the odds, but brilliant wins.

2002 round 8 we played Brisbane and won by under a kick. For a H&A match this sticks out in my mind. This match had everything including Voss getting knocked out.
Tazz banged 5 in that game I reckon.

That 05 game, I backed us. I had a feeling we'd get the chocolates. Chris Egan gave the Eagles the up yours lol.

2002 Brodie Holland's 8 vs The Coasters in a one point win. I think that was Chris Judd's debut in the AFL.

That 05 game, I backed us. I had a feeling we'd get the chocolates. Chris Egan gave the Eagles the up yours lol.

2002 Brodie Holland's 8 vs The Coasters in a one point win. I think that was Chris Judd's debut in the AFL.
Great call about Dutchy's bag of eight against the Eagles in 2002. I can confirm it was Juddy's first game. He already looked like ready to set the world on fire. Damn. He'd have looked awesome in Black & White.

I remember watching the score updates on sport's world, or some panel show that involved Piggy Dunstall. The actual game was on Foxtel, so I had no chance watching it live, as pre-Kayo days and living at poverty point, I didn't have pay television!

Just recall the Pies on top early, then the Eagles mauling us for a quarter and a half, then Dutchy kicking three inside a minute, a la Didak 2010? I think he kicked four in the first, three in the third, then one in the last, which might have been the sealer.

It was a crazy game, as it was Woosha's first game as coach, and I didn't rate the Eagles at all. How could you? The Eagles were absolutely crapola in 2001 as evidenced by the 81 point mauling we gave them at Etihad late in the year. We hadn't even beat them since 1994! Garbage. We didn't beat them again until 2004, either. We suffered a belting at Subiaco just before finals late in 2002, then got overrun in Q1 and after an outstanding comeback, in Q4 at Docklands, in 2003... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Great call about Dutchy's bag of eight against the Eagles in 2002. I can confirm it was Juddy's first game. He already looked like ready to set the world on fire. Damn. He'd have looked awesome in Black & White.

I remember watching the score updates on sport's world, or some panel show that involved Piggy Dunstall. The actual game was on Foxtel, so I had no chance watching it live, as pre-Kayo days and living at poverty point, I didn't have pay television!

Just recall the Pies on top early, then the Eagles mauling us for a quarter and a half, then Dutchy kicking three inside a minute, a la Didak 2010? I think he kicked four in the first, three in the third, then one in the last, which might have been the sealer.

It was a crazy game, as it was Woosha's first game as coach, and I didn't rate the Eagles at all. How could you? The Eagles were absolutely crapola in 2001 as evidenced by the 81 point mauling we gave them at Etihad late in the year. We hadn't even beat them since 1994! Garbage. We didn't beat them again until 2004, either. We suffered a belting at Subiaco just before finals late in 2002, then got overrun in Q1 and after an outstanding comeback, in Q4 at Docklands, in 2003... :rolleyes:
Woosha's 2nd game in charge, close though!!!!!

That's what I forgot to post yesterday. 1994 win at The G. Tranquilli's 6 goal haul.

I wasn't there but the old Man had it on video for a while... amazing stuff
It was a privilege to be there. Pretty much the last hurrah for Daics,he gave us one last reminder of his greatness.
You can watch the last quarter here:

It's worth watching for the Daicos goal in the opening seconds alone! The Ablett one in the last minute was pretty special as well!

1969 Victoria Park vs Sth Melbourne. P. Mckenna 16 goals.
1970 Victoria Park vs Carlton P. Mckenna 9 goals to kick his 100
1974 MCG vs Richmond John Greenings comeback game.
1979 Victoria Park vs St Kilda P. Daicos first game.
1981 Victoria Park vs Richmond P. Daicos 9 goals
1981 MCG vs Fitzroy Semi Final Collingwood win by 1 point.

There are more but you get the picture, I'm an old fart.

Anzac Day pies v filth Warren Ralph misses kick on s siren and Pies win.
Malthouse 1st game against the pies 2013 also against the filth.

1969 Victoria Park vs Sth Melbourne. P. Mckenna 16 goals.
1970 Victoria Park vs Carlton P. Mckenna 9 goals to kick his 100
1974 MCG vs Richmond John Greenings comeback game.
1979 Victoria Park vs St Kilda P. Daicos first game.
1981 Victoria Park vs Richmond P. Daicos 9 goals
1981 MCG vs Fitzroy Semi Final Collingwood win by 1 point.

There are more but you get the picture, I'm an old fart.
I was at both 81 games

Round 4 2022 vs WCE was memorable for all the wrong reasons. Probably one of the saddest games I've ever watched in person and it wasn't just because it was at Docklands Stadium although it definitely contributed to emptiness of that night. We had them covered in pretty much every stat line and yet we let them toy with us for most of the game until eventually we just conceded in the last. The fact that they kicked 14.3 makes me spew every time those lucky ducks. If you'd told me as I walked out of that cold arena that we would later come within a point of making the Grand Final I'd laugh in your face. But I do think that game especially was a good learning experience for the team and no doubt we made sure not to let it happen again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back