Memorable Games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Beating West Coast in 2013 and 2014 at The G was memorable.
Haven’t read the thread properly but 2012 Semi was obviously hugely emotionally charged too. Another I won’t forget.

2018 Round 1 vs the Hawks another one in this mould. I remember being despondent at how poor a performance we turned in against a side I expected would be falling down the ladder. Mason was absolutely woeful and copped a suspension that same night, and I remember thinking we had a years long road ahead to even resembling a side in contention…
That one's definitely up there for games that are memorable that I want not to be. Even the round after we went down the Giants in pretty insipid fashion and were sitting at 16th, would love to have known the $ odds for us to win the flag at that point considering we were a goal off in the end.

Haven’t read the thread properly but 2012 Semi was obviously hugely emotionally charged too. Another I won’t forget.
First ever finals game I ever went to being about 12, remember getting a photo with Joffa after the game which is a bit gross now in hindsight but it can't take the happiness of that night away from me

So many!

Coming from 10 goals down at half time to beat St Kilda at Victoria park one dark overcast arvo in1970.

Another rarely spoken of was a similar comeback at the G in 1978 against Richmond when we were again at one stage nine or ten goals up in the second term. We stormed home to win by 14 points.

I was out at Waverley in 1987 when the Pies played Richmond and saw us fall 51 points down in the third as BT lost his mind. But he made up for it in the last quarter!

The famous one point win over Fitzroy in the 1981 first semi final after leading Fitzroy by 45 points in the third term they came on strong and took the lead late in the game. When all seemed lost, Daicos and Brewer won it back in one of my all time favourite games.

This game held extra interest for me. One of my best mates Leigh Carlson, was traded to Fitzroy halfway through the season without even being told about it. The deal was done when he got a phone call late one Tuesday night from a Fitzroy official telling him he was now Fitzroy player. Leigh was gobsmacked. He immediately rang Tommy Hafey who told Leigh he could choose to stay but he was going to play Hannebery ahead of him if he did. Leigh was treaded for Warwick Irwin.

Ironically. they played against each other in this final. Leigh played really well. I remember telling him after the game that I discovered my love for Collingwood superseded my love for him during a final as I wanted him to be smashed as he was about to kick a long bomb goal on the run. He understood! :)

Two preliminary finals against Geelong in 1980 and 1981 when we were underdogs in both! They were both thrillers. Leigh featured in the first and actually saved the day for us in the last seconds after copping a hiding from Michael Turner. As Leigh left the ground a close up showed a disconsolate looking player even though we had won Leigh thought he would be axed. Five minutes later he was on cloud nine as the first player Hafey praised was Leigh for never dropping his head and fighting to the last second.

Then there are the classics- 2002 Prelim against the Crows and the win over Port the preceding fortnight.

Another ripper was our win over the Blues at Princess Park in 1969 I think. We kicked 11 goals to none in the third term and Greening kicked 7 goals! I was on the fence and soaked it all up. The Blues were the reigning premiers.

There are plenty more. My first final- the second semi against St Kilda in 1966. Tuddy kicked 7 brilliant goals.

Crows Tazz after the siren goal to win it 2003

the delayed signal from the goal umpire and the vision of Malthouse watching made it extra more special. What a win.

This win was huge, but was actually at the MCG 😁 it was a big game for because my Grandparents took me out for my birthday and my Pa and myself listened to Q1 on the radio.

My Stepfather (massive parasite) was a North fan, and jealous of the pies no matter where they were on the ladder. Typical Canberran. Had to ring my Pa for the final result about four hours after it finished, because the parasite forced me out of the house, wouldn't let me see any news or media surrounding the match and banned me from watching any football for months because I got the result from my Pa. Absolute pissant!

Did we lose to the Dockers the week before? YEEESSSSHHH I remember us being 9.2 to 0.1 at quarter time and losing by 111... ☠️☠️☠️

The 2022 game against Carlton, i remember watching us coming back nursing my daughter to sleep thinking "we must be taking the piss". I blurted those words out when Billy put us in front. Just had no right to win a lot of those games in 2022, but under Fly we prosper!

I was working 2018 PF and just remember the noise. Mate was a St Kilda fan and HATED the tuggers. We just jumped them in Q1, then I was taking a deuce in the disabled toilets behind my retail shop when Coxy took that first mark, and I remember the WHOLE ground shook. The roar was AAAMMMAAAZZZZIIINNNNGGGG. That's what football is all about.

Your quoting the 2002 games brings back memories. The Brissy game I just remember us being complete underdogs. Unfortunately got pipped by Port in Adelaide the week after, after being down by five goals at quarter time. Pebbles kicked one over the post and Kane gave Dutchy the finger.

The QF I wanted to go with my Pa to Adelaide. He was took crook with his shoulder. I remember Wakes and the bird from some show on the back of the paper and them giving us no chance. 31k to witness the final. Should have gotten 80k plus in Melbourne. 2002 was an incredible year. My first as member. I'll never forget Pebbles dobbing one from 75 having led up on a Lonie line break in the PF against the Crows. Was a great Q3.

Carry on everyone!

From memory in the PF we were a few goals down, and that kick from Rocca put us in front, or extended the lead by a little. Amazing passage of play from Lonie to Rocco. The kick was friggen huge.

Complete underdogs in the QF. There was a tackle by Johnson on Burgoyne that saved a goal late in the game. Awesome stuff.

And to top the Port rivalry we beat them in 03 in the PF. Rocca getting suspended killed any chance of beating Brisbane though.

From memory in the PF we were a few goals down, and that kick from Rocca put us in front, or extended the lead by a little. Amazing passage of play from Lonie to Rocco. The kick was friggen huge.

Complete underdogs in the QF. There was a tackle by Johnson on Burgoyne that saved a goal late in the game. Awesome stuff.

And to top the Port rivalry we beat them in 03 in the PF. Rocca getting suspended killed any chance of beating Brisbane though.
Scoring Progression:- 1706793573839.png

2018 Round 1 vs the Hawks another one in this mould. I remember being despondent at how poor a performance we turned in against a side I expected would be falling down the ladder. Mason was absolutely woeful and copped a suspension that same night, and I remember thinking we had a years long road ahead to even resembling a side in contention…
Hawks making Top 4 that year feels like a fever dream

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The PF was my first final. We had been well on top early, but just kept peppering the points. 2.5 in Q1. I reckon we were down at half time too, but we came storming back after Scotland kicked one just before half time. I don't recall who kicked goals before that Rocca one, but I remember it put us either, as you suggest, two or three goals to the good. Then Rupe kicked a stunner from outside fiddy in the pocket, running towards the boundary and suddenly we were four goals clear! Such a shame we didn't go on and beat the Bears in the GF, but so many happy memories of 2002 sitting in the cheer squad as a 10-11 year old! 😁

So many!

Coming from 10 goals down at half time to beat St Kilda at Victoria park one dark overcast arvo in1970.

Another rarely spoken of was a similar comeback at the G in 1978 against Richmond when we were again at one stage nine or ten goals up in the second term. We stormed home to win by 14 points.

I was out at Waverley in 1987 when the Pies played Richmond and saw us fall 51 points down in the third as BT lost his mind. But he made up for it in the last quarter!

The famous one point win over Fitzroy in the 1981 first semi final after leading Fitzroy by 45 points in the third term they came on strong and took the lead late in the game. When all seemed lost, Daicos and Brewer won it back in one of my all time favourite games.

This game held extra interest for me. One of my best mates Leigh Carlson, was traded to Fitzroy halfway through the season without even being told about it. The deal was done when he got a phone call late one Tuesday night from a Fitzroy official telling him he was now Fitzroy player. Leigh was gobsmacked. He immediately rang Tommy Hafey who told Leigh he could choose to stay but he was going to play Hannebery ahead of him if he did. Leigh was treaded for Warwick Irwin.

Ironically. they played against each other in this final. Leigh played really well. I remember telling him after the game that I discovered my love for Collingwood superseded my love for him during a final as I wanted him to be smashed as he was about to kick a long bomb goal on the run. He understood! :)

Two preliminary finals against Geelong in 1980 and 1981 when we were underdogs in both! They were both thrillers. Leigh featured in the first and actually saved the day for us in the last seconds after copping a hiding from Michael Turner. As Leigh left the ground a close up showed a disconsolate looking player even though we had won Leigh thought he would be axed. Five minutes later he was on cloud nine as the first player Hafey praised was Leigh for never dropping his head and fighting to the last second.

Then there are the classics- 2002 Prelim against the Crows and the win over Port the preceding fortnight.

Another ripper was our win over the Blues at Princess Park in 1969 I think. We kicked 11 goals to none in the third term and Greening kicked 7 goals! I was on the fence and soaked it all up. The Blues were the reigning premiers.

There are plenty more. My first final- the second semi against St Kilda in 1966. Tuddy kicked 7 brilliant goals.

I was at the game in 1970 with my father behind the goals scoreboard end. Where were you? In fact I can remember all the games you mention and was present for many of them. 1981 at the MCG against Fitzroy was my favorite. I also have very fond memories of the 1987 game against Richmond, I went with a friend who barracked for Richmond and actually told him at 3/4 time that I felt a comeback coming on. He talked about that for the next ten years lol.

Round 12 1988 at Moorabbin.
Was anyone else at this game?
Played in torrential freezing pouring rain.
Denis Banks kicked a long goal as Collingwood had a great win, but I doubt there has ever been worse weather at a match. I stuck it out but 2 in our group couldn't take it and sat in the car for the second half.

Denis Banks kicked a long goal as Collingwood had a great win, but I doubt there has ever been worse weather at a match. I stuck it out but 2 in our group couldn't take it and sat in the car for the second half.
The thing I remember most was standing soaked in the cage with a red frozen hand grasping a VB.

I liked the win at Telstra Dome against the Eagles in 2006. About 37 points we won by, like we did in 1994. They won the flag both years lol.

Tranquilli's 6 I think I mentioned that 94 game.

The thing I remember most was standing soaked in the cage with a red frozen hand grasping a VB.

Just looking at the history books, our crowd of 23000 was the biggest for the round, Hawthorn got 8000 at Princes Park. About 4 years earlier we played Stkilda at Moorabbin in similar weather, but I don't think it was quite as freezing.

and what about the replay in 1990? After the drawn game. WTF is it about us and drawn games in finals lol.

Ghastly day at the football for a 7 year old. Couldn’t even see anything from memory.
5 games were played that afternoon in Melbourne and 483 points were scored across them (average score of 48.3 per side).

Just one of the worst days at the footy I can remember, at least we won though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back