Expansion Matt Rowell re-signs with Gold Coast, Noah Anderson expected to follow suit, Jack Bowes trade vindictated ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough. So we can agree that offloading Bowes gave the Suns no advantage for 2023, and impacted their draft capital.

Yep, if they bring in that ‘difference maker’ in the 23 trade period, that will be interesting.

But saying that offloading Bowes is the result of this is just plain wrong. At the end of 23 he will would have had just one year at $800k to wipe off his contract. Hardly stopping a nigh ‘difference maker’ coming across on a big multi year contract. Trading pick 7 this year for one in next years draft would also give them ample collateral to bring someone across.

Instead they burnt the pick, and they will waste more next year in their attempt.

But I’d think your hypothesis is very unlikely.
History tells us that GC struggle to attract elite talent, and are more likely to lose it, or pay more to retain it. It’s the latter situation I believe we are likely to see next year. Which begs the question, what talent is out of contract at the Suns at the end of next year that interstate clubs will be looking at?
Historically, I would agree, the club was run into the ground in the first decade, thanks to inept initial selections in leadership positions the AFL put up which set us right back. I am a lot happier with the people in the positions of power now to make the correct decisions (maybe outside of list decisions).

The only player left to be re-signed of significance from 2023 is Noah Anderson. However, with his best mate re-signing and all the right sounds being made I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed up before the season starts.

This year, with the club starting to find its feet and being much more competitive on field, I would say the mass exodus of the past may be finally behind the club.

Historically, I would agree, the club was run into the ground in the first decade, thanks to inept initial selections in leadership positions the AFL put up which set us right back. I am a lot happier with the people in the positions of power now to make the correct decisions (maybe outside of list decisions).

The only player left to be re-signed of significance from 2023 is Noah Anderson. However, with his best mate re-signing and all the right sounds being made I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed up before the season starts.

This year, with the club starting to find its feet and being much more competitive on field, I would say the mass exodus of the past may be finally behind the club.
Would be nice but GWS recent success didn't stop the issues with retention

Players will accept less money to play for bigger clubs with large crowds and marque games, so it really is an uneven playing field

Would be nice but GWS recent success didn't stop the issues with retention

Players will accept less money to play for bigger clubs with large crowds and marque games, so it really is an uneven playing field
We will see for sure. I honest to god, I think there is potential for solid crowds on the GC if the footy is good. Early days especially around 2013/2014 when there was hope, we were pulling crowds of 20k through the door, hope we can see that again, next year will be the big test.

If we could manage to get to a GF like GWS did I would be over the moon.

GWS issues (at least this year) I think were more to do with the salary cap exploding out their ears, outside of Bruhn, I don't think any of the likes of Taranto and Hopper were demanding to leave.

I think (at least I hope) the club has learned its lesson and won't be overpaying some players going forward, while he did end up leaving, I am happy we stood firm on Rankine I didn't pay him above what we offered. However, when Anderson's contract comes up this year, I would be happy for the club to put a bit of a sweetener on top to keep him if required, different approaches for different players.

Yeah the AFL is an uneven competition unfortunately, but you just have to accept it, and work within the system, just fingers crossed we are on the right track now.

We will see for sure. I honest to god, I think there is potential for solid crowds on the GC if the footy is good. Early days especially around 2013/2014 when there was hope, we were pulling crowds of 20k through the door, hope we can see that again, next year will be the big test.

If we could manage to get to a GF like GWS did I would be over the moon.

GWS issues (at least this year) I think were more to do with the salary cap exploding out their ears, outside of Bruhn, I don't think any of the likes of Taranto and Hopper were demanding to leave.

I think (at least I hope) the club has learned its lesson and won't be overpaying some players going forward, while he did end up leaving, I am happy we stood firm on Rankine I didn't pay him above what we offered. However, when Anderson's contract comes up this year, I would be happy for the club to put a bit of a sweetener on top to keep him if required, different approaches for different players.

Yeah the AFL is an uneven competition unfortunately, but you just have to accept it, and work within the system, just fingers crossed we are on the right track now.

Anderson's the one you want to retain above all others, for sure.
The Suns will put the Godfather deal to him; if they can get him to sign on for 7 years then roll the dice.

Re: the OP, the relief from cutting their losses on the Bowes contract may well prove prudent; he wasn't getting a game and they need to balance the book - what's #7 in this year's draft going to give them that Noah Anderson or Matt Rowell can't ?

The club has obviously decided to prioritise re-signing buddies Rowell and Anderson along with Ben King and securing the core of the playing list (along with Witts and Miller) and the approach is not without merit.

Keep in mind that we've also seen a big population surge on the Gold Coast in the last decade (the last five years in particular) since the period you're referring to, many of which come from footy inclined states. So the potential for 20k+ crowds is much greater now than it was back then but obviously the biggest factor right now is having a team that's exciting and contending for/playing in finals. We started to see that happen in 2014 when we were genuinely contending for a finals position before Gary Ablett Jr's shoulder injury and we saw 6 of our 11 home games pull 17k+ crowds, including three 20k+ home games. It's not a coincidence that the crowds fell away once we were out of the running for finals that year.

Anderson's the one you want to retain above all others, for sure.
The Suns will put the Godfather deal to him; if they can get him to sign on for 7 years then roll the dice.

Re: the OP, the relief from cutting their losses on the Bowes contract may well prove prudent; he wasn't getting a game and they need to balance the book - what's #7 in this year's draft going to give them that Noah Anderson or Matt Rowell can't ?

The club has obviously decided to prioritise re-signing buddies Rowell and Anderson along with Ben King and securing the core of the playing list (along with Witts and Miller) and the approach is not without merit.
Anderson seems like a pretty safe bet to hitch your wagon on (at least based on the evidence we have right now). He's played 58 of a possible 61 AFL games to date, polled 8 Brownlow votes in his second season and then 14 Brownlow votes in his third season while regularly competing against a genuine Brownlow contender in Touk Miller. He's gone from averaging 16 disposals in his first season, to 22 disposals in his second season and 26 disposals in his third season. The upward trajectory looks very clear and it's probably not unreasonable to suggest he'll average around 30 disposals and poll 20ish Brownlow votes in 2023, which would be bordering on the kind of output people expect of a star player. Anderson in the 2022/23 off season is the exact type of player at the exact stage in his career that every club should be willing to hand a Godfather deal in the hopes of witnessing something VERY special over the next 5-7 seasons. Clearly moving on Rankine and Bowes is going to drastically improve our ability to offer the Godfather deal to Anderson and I think if we get his signature then you can confidently say the club is vindicated for its decision to trade Bowes.

giphy.gif

Fantastic news for the Fledgling Suns and their footy club.

I think it's very very unlikely the player Geelong picked up with the pick they got from the Suns in the Jack Bowes trade will be close to the player Rowell and or Noah Anderson are/will be, and I am not convinced at all that Bowes is ever going to be an elite player at AFL level anyway.

Suns ultimately have been vindicated by re-signing (or about to) two of their most valuable long term prospects and assets.

Hopefully Ben King does the same too and re-commits long term to the Suns..

Great news for footy, and all those doom merchants who criticised and condemned the Suns for the Bowes trade have some egg on their faces. Giving up that early pick and Bowes in order to re-sign probably their next captain and his running mate is worth it for the Suns, from a pragmatic perspective
Got some really good kids coming through next draft as well via their Academy

Dare i say its Sunnie Side Up for Gold Coast and I am happy for them. Tony Cochrane is a pain in the ass admittedly, bur he probably is the type of strong personality their footy club needs as chairman.
We all love the Coch at the Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good signing and promising it’s a long term contract. Kings signature is next. Sign him up long term and they begin building with a core stable group of talented players.

I see a lot of the Suns and this is a very exciting era dawning for the club.

Both the club and the AFL made a LOT of mistakes along the way and paid a heavy price for doing so, and rightly so. The Bowes deal may look awful on paper but could turn out to be one of their smartest moves yet - and freeing up space to sign a player like Noah Anderson to a deal like this should be vindication of that. If they keep a player like Bowes, who has a future in the right club with the right role, it makes it awfully hard to sign players like N.A who will be part of their first finals team.

Wouldn't worry one jot about Rowell either, he is progressing very well overall and fills an ideal role for them. Bullocking inside mid who also creates turnovers through pressure. A fit and firing Rowell is music to Touk Miller's ears as MR takes focus for opposition also. One look at that attack should also worry opposition. A fit King, Casboult, Chol - and don't forget Sexton kicking a bag in the last game of the season also after hardly playing AFL in 2022. There is a lot to like about Gold Coast in 2023 and while some things may not have made sense on initial look in past years, it is starting to bear fruit now.

we didn't, we failed miserably at the negotiation.

Once your club publicly admitted to making/giving Rankine that rather sizeable deal, pick 5 was always going to be the main component of the trade.

You for Jordan Dawson for considerable unders the season before, so it's a bit of swings and roundabouts, but it's good for your club it's finally (seemingly) picked itself up from the canvas and recruiting quality players to the AFC again after than fall out from that infamous camp.

Once your club publicly admitted to making/giving Rankine that rather sizeable deal, pick 5 was always going to be the main component of the trade.

You for Jordan Dawson for considerable unders the season before, so it's a bit of swings and roundabouts, but it's good for your club it's finally (seemingly) picked itself up from the canvas and recruiting quality players to the AFC again after than fall out from that infamous camp.

The complete 180 degree change in strategy was very interesting. The previous year, whilst negotiating for Dawson, we separately offered up all 3 first rounders that we had to try and get pick 1 from Roos. Pick 5 is guaranteed to get Rankine in the national draft, our preference should have been to give it the AFL, not a salary cap stuffed club that is sending 7 with a player purely as a salary dump. If Rankine wasn't prepared to wait it out with the national draft threat on the table, then we shouldn't have bothered. We need high quality mids as it is and whilst we hope he makes it as a mid, pick 5 should buy you a guaranteed A grader.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back