Expansion Matt Rowell re-signs with Gold Coast, Noah Anderson expected to follow suit, Jack Bowes trade vindictated ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Fantastic news for the Fledgling Suns and their footy club.

I think it's very very unlikely the player Geelong picked up with the pick they got from the Suns in the Jack Bowes trade will be close to the player Rowell and or Noah Anderson are/will be, and I am not convinced at all that Bowes is ever going to be an elite player at AFL level anyway.

Suns ultimately have been vindicated by re-signing (or about to) two of their most valuable long term prospects and assets.

Hopefully Ben King does the same too and re-commits long term to the Suns..

Great news for footy, and all those doom merchants who criticised and condemned the Suns for the Bowes trade have some egg on their faces. Giving up that early pick and Bowes in order to re-sign probably their next captain and his running mate is worth it for the Suns, from a pragmatic perspective
Got some really good kids coming through next draft as well via their Academy

Dare i say its Sunnie Side Up for Gold Coast and I am happy for them. Tony Cochrane is a pain in the ass admittedly, bur he probably is the type of strong personality their footy club needs as chairman.

Hopefully Rowell gets his mojo back he went from best young player in the league to very average after injuries
I’m not sure about average, has become one of the best pressure midfielders in the league. Give him another preseason and a fully uninterrupted regular season and I genuinely think he can go back to that next level we saw in early 2020

I think it's very very unlikely the player Geelong picked up with the pick they got from the Suns in the Jack Bowes trade will be close to the player Rowell and or Noah Anderson are/will be, and I am not convinced at all that Bowes is ever going to be an elite player at AFL level anyway.

Suns ultimately have been vindicated by re-signing (or about to) two of their most valuable long term prospects and assets.

Great news for footy, and all those doom merchants who criticised and condemned the Suns for the Bowes trade have some egg on their faces. Giving up that early pick and Bowes in order to re-sign probably their next captain and his running mate is worth it for the Suns, from a pragmatic perspective

Dare i say its Sunnie Side Up for Gold Coast and I am happy for them. Tony Cochrane is a pain in the ass admittedly, bur he probably is the type of strong personality their footy club needs as chairman.
Nobody gives a stuff about Bowes- it was the pick 7 that made a mockery of the integrity of the competition (and you didn’t even mention in your justification).
Yes the Suns could make finals next year which would be huge and I’d be happy for them. But don’t pretend like they didn’t make a top 5 terrible trade due to salary cap incompetence.

Nah the trade isn’t vindicated.
They ponied up pick 7 and a player to try to keep the rest of their young list together.
Even if they keep them, it’s disastrous list management.

Giving away Rankine and Bowes, their trades for these guys going out of their squad netted them….

A two pick upgrade from 7 to 5.
A couple of junk third rounders.

Signing Rowell for a couple of years doesn’t vindicate this.

Nah the trade isn’t vindicated.
They ponied up pick 7 and a player to try to keep the rest of their young list together.
Even if they keep them, it’s disastrous list management.

Giving away Rankine and Bowes, their trades for these guys going out of their squad netted them….

A two pick upgrade from 7 to 5.
A couple of junk third rounders.

Signing Rowell for a couple of years doesn’t vindicate this.
And a s**t tonne of cap space which is the most important thing for gold coast and gws

Didn’t have to give up pick 7 (8) to give away a player a few clubs were interested in. Even if Bowes doesn’t come good and Jhye Clark gets delisted in a couple years time then on paper it was still a stupid trade. Just think how poor Gold Coast has been in comparison to say Geelong and Richmond. Why did they have salary problems in the first place? Rather embarrassing actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely they could have done better than torching pick 7 though.

Surely they could have done better than torching pick 7 though.
Even giving away pick 7 to any of the other 16 clubs for free would’ve been a slight improvement for them, instead of handing the reigning premier their highest draft pick in 16 years.

Nope, not vindication really, great to see Rowelly re-signed though.

Vindication comes in 12 months time when we sign a supposed 'big fish' the club has said this cap space is put aside for, as well as seeing Noah re-signed as well.

Didn’t have to give up pick 7 (8) to give away a player a few clubs were interested in. Even if Bowes doesn’t come good and Jhye Clark gets delisted in a couple years time then on paper it was still a stupid trade. Just think how poor Gold Coast has been in comparison to say Geelong and Richmond. Why did they have salary problems in the first place? Rather embarrassing actually.
You obviously don't understand the retention issues that gws and gc face compared to everyone else. It's the equivalent to small market teams in the NBA for example. In order to have a team take ALL of th salary off the books they had to throw in something. They aren't in the position of a Hawthorn or Collingwood where they can afford to pay a part of a players wages while they are at another team. The draft pick wasn't that valuable to them as they have had so many top tens in the last few years. It's a trade that looks ugly on paper but I think the right move ultimately with all their good players coming off contract in the next few years

You obviously don't understand the retention issues that gws and gc face compared to everyone else. It's the equivalent to small market teams in the NBA for example. In order to have a team take ALL of th salary off the books they had to throw in something. They aren't in the position of a Hawthorn or Collingwood where they can afford to pay a part of a players wages while they are at another team. The draft pick wasn't that valuable to them as they have had so many top tens in the last few years. It's a trade that looks ugly on paper but I think the right move ultimately with all their good players coming off contract in the next few years
It’s not that I don’t understand. It’s that I simply don’t care.

Just kidding. Anyone who’s seen my posting history knows I’d love a Darwin team and I’d have it worse supporting them.

The Gold Coast are doing really well considering the hand they've been dealt. I'll be interested to see what Tassie learn from them.
Not totally convinced Matt Rowell will ever become the Michael Voss clone I saw in the first year of his career though because of his body.

Just a small Suns supporter rant :)

Most people ignore that Suns got unbelievable picks concessions (way too many IMO) including free pre-listing and as a result valued picks differently than other teams. Second, you can only bring limited number of top talent as you basically develop them, and they leave as the team can't pay them all or play them all. GWS is prime example rinse and repeat of this (check out who left GWS the last 3 years). Top picks require 400K in 3rd year thus putting more pressure on cap.

Suns still brought Humphrey this year. Did they need to bring another top talent with pick 7? Apparently not, Sun believe they got enough talent on the list to take them to finals. Pick 7 allowed Suns to create cap space to target player(s) in future, re-sign key players.

Why back ended contracts? Suns did back end 5-6 players to cope with 1.5M cap cut due to covid. Again, this is completely ignored by most opposition fans. It was even more complicated by the fact that Suns had all players re-signed in that time.

Call Suns idiots but look at their list and cap now. Still a lot of top talent which is maturing and is complemented by good mature players and some role players and cheap depth. Yes, Suns wanted to keep Rankine but not on 800K+.

Now Suns most probably have to front-end some contracts to fulfil 95% cap in 2023 as they shed off in the excess of 2.5M in the off-season. Apparently, there is interest from top player(s) going to Suns. This will open up the opportunity to re-sign 1-2 of them in next several years.

Suns are still loaded with picks next year; some first-round academy talent is coming in next 3 years.

I assume Suns have now cap in order, 2 remaining back-ended players, Fiorini and Sexton agreed to spread their contracts, Thompson retired.

Sun got now cheap mature depth (Anderson, Blakely,...) rather than paying back ended crazy money to not best 22 (Bowes).

Sun did improve in 2022, were more consistent. After bye they got hit by injuries, finished season with missing 8 best 22. Unbelievably, Sun had again 3 ACLs (on top of 3 ACLs in 2021), add broken/dislocated ankle, multiple MCL, meniscus injures.

Sun midfield was still very young in 2022. It was the first year for Anderson and Rowell there. Rowell had OP interrupted pre-season. With extra pre-season midfield should improve again. Players like Davies, Hollands, Flanders should contribute there more.

IMO, next 2 years Suns have the best opportunity to make finals in their history, but they need a bit of luck like every team with injuries. Also, most teams improve, no guarantees.

If Suns make finals, everything will become easier for Suns. Look at Lions at the moment - able to attract players, players more willing to re-sign on less. Suns could become very attractive destination. It's a great place to live, great facilities, crowd will come (20K+) when team is winning.

Suns will never be able to compete with Victoria teams in off-field 3rd party deals, but they are in much better position than GWS where even playing regularly finals crowds and support in Western Sydney is underwhelming.

If Sun flop in 2023, I expect Dew to be gone. Next coach should still inherit a primed list with most players under contract. Not all doom and gloom.

Cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Adelaide needed to pony up #5 for Rankine if they ended up giving away #7 for salary relief

How did they expect to re-sign Rankine?
As I understand it, it seemed like we had the 650k set aside for Rankine regardless.

The Bowes stuff was about moving on a player on a ridiculous salary who was on the fringes of the best 22 and was not willing to renegotiate his contract (and well within his right to not), and using that money better elsewhere. We had similar issues with Sexton and Fiorini as well, but it seems like we have smoothed out their contracts over a couple of years and they are staying.

The money saved will probably be used to try and lure a quality player to push us up the ladder as well as re-signing the likes of Anderson. It will be a wait and see on this happening.

Hopefully lessons have been learnt about not overpaying players in dollars and years going forward, and not find ourselves in a similar situation again.

To be fair, the outcry mainly revolved around how the * the reigning premiers had the salary cap space to be able to use in the trade.
or more how a team was able to hand over a pick in the 3rd for a top 10 pick + player when the salary dump was spread out.

imagine the AFL close that for next year.
love the idea. needed some better guardrails.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back