Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Never liked the appointment from day one

Was a Hinkley protege

Wanted at the time Mark Stone or Matty Scarlett

Would still take Stone , Scarlett hasn’t progressed

Whatever happened to the highly rated Leigh Tudor?

First choice is Buckley
Followed by Cox and Stone
Stone is back in WA as head of footy of a private school. Wonder if he just wanted less travel or what? Did well at Glenelg and then got poached for a head of strategy job at the Lions.

Well it aint that reliable given that there are clubs that have achieved this random stat of 3 top 4 finishes across 4 years who have either never won a flag (Freo) or have less flags than the Crows.

Clubs that have done so have made the grand final at least once in all but three instances

Brisbane 1999 to 2004 - three flags, four grand finals
Brisbane 2019-ongoing - one grand final
Carlton 1993 to 1995 - one flag, two grand finals
Collingwood 2009 to 2012 - one flag, two grand finals
Essendon 1999 to 2001 - one flag, two grand finals
Fremantle 2013 to 2015 - one grand final
Geelong 1989 to 1997 - four grand finals
Geelong 2007 to 2023 - four flags, six grand finals
Hawthorn 1982 to 1991 - one flag since 1991 that was part of a large run, five total
Melbourne 2021-ongoing - one flag, one grand final
North Melbourne 1996 to 2000 - two flags, three grand finals
Port Adelaide 2020-ongoing - nothing
Port Adelaide 2001 to 2004 - one flag, one grand final
Richmond 2017 to 2020 - three flags, three grand finals
St Kilda 2008 to 2010 - two grand finals
Sydney 2003 to 2006 - one flag, two grand finals
Sydney 2012 to 2016 - one flag, three grand finals
West Coast 1991 to 1994 - two flags, three grand finals
West Coast 2005 to 2007 - one flag, two grand finals
Western Bulldogs 1997 to 1999 - nothing
Western Bulldogs 2008 to 2010 - nothing

So there's been 21 occasions it's happened since 1991. 14 times it has led to a flag. 18 times it has led to a grand final appearance. 14 times it's led to multiple grand final appearances. And two of the instances of making GFs without a flag are part of ongoing streaks.

26 of 32 flags (one yet to be decided) won through this method

Last edited:
The fact that he spent the entire off season changing the focus from fast attack that we had last year to slow chip that would supposedly improve defence tells me all i need to know. Completely unable to read the game, and unable to recognise mistakes. Team was set up to fail this year with appalling planning, with a smaller dose of just expecting to win and not making sure we put in the work to make it happen
I heard a rumour that we spent very little time actually working on offensive aspects of the gameplan over summer. It was pretty much 100% focused on defensive work.

Certainly shows if that was the case.

Does anyone think Nicks is escaping media criticism because we have been in all of our games at some stage in the last quarter? Basically, we have been competitive enough in all games and haven’t had any against last years bottom 4 yet. I can’t imagine they’re delving too deep into his overall coaching record or how we are using Curtin or how some of our senior players continue to be selected despite poor form.

Going back a bit here but I recall someone claiming Nicks more or less said Dowling probably won’t debut this season. Anybody got footage of that because that’s putrid if true

I heard a rumour that we spent very little time actually working on offensive aspects of the gameplan over summer. It was pretty much 100% focused on defensive work.

Nicks thought we had the offense covered because of last year, ummm yea nicks actually thats not how it works.
I cant even listen to 1 more second of him anymore, needs to GTFO asap.

The best Adelaide have ever achieved is two consecutive years of top 4 (without a longer streak) so let's take a look at that

Adelaide 05-06 - nothing
Collingwood 02-03 - two grand finals
Collingwood 18-19 - one grand final
GWS 16-17 - nothing
St Kilda 04-05 - nothing

No sustained top 4 appearances, no flags

What about 2 in four years, without finishing top four three times as part of a streak?

Adelaide 05-06 - nothing
Collingwood 02-03 - two grand finals
Essendon 93-96 - one flag, one grand final
GWS 16-17 - nothing
Melbourne 98-01 - one grand final
St Kilda 04-05 - nothing
Sydney 96-99 - one grand final
West Coast 15-18 - one flag, two grand finals

Even from this just two flags from eight instances, and while you can get to the grand final, the conversion rate into a flag is poor

Finishing top 2 only twice as part of a "window" simply isn't enough

Does anyone think Nicks is escaping media criticism because we have been in all of our games at some stage in the last quarter? Basically, we have been competitive enough in all games and haven’t had any against last years bottom 4 yet. I can’t imagine they’re delving too deep into his overall coaching record or how we are using Curtin or how some of our senior players continue to be selected despite poor form.
It’s the Ken Hinkley school of coming across as a good bloke who sells spin, essentially people like him and therefore don’t want to criticise him publicly and fall for his bullshit, so he escapes personal scrutiny.

Instead he’s turned the focus on the players who are accepting the blame:

IMG_7889.png

There’s only so many times you can go to the well (“Sack the coach!”) before you realize the club’s problems go far, far beyond the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if you hadn’t heard the rumour you’d know this just from watching
If someone told me we practised fumbling all preseason I'd believe them

If true, Nicks et al --- maybe even the players as well --- assumed they'd be playing Finals.

Looks like that assumption + the appalingly slow, defensive game they produced to go 0-4 has almost guaranteed Finals are out of the question.

Poor old Tex now trotting out the company line

It’s the Ken Hinkley school of coming across as a good bloke who sells spin, essentially people like him and therefore don’t want to criticise him publicly and fall for his bullshit, so he escapes personal scrutiny.

Instead he’s turned the focus on the players who are accepting the blame:

View attachment 1967990

Fixed it :

1713838492742.png

Poor old Tex now trotting out the company line

It's not learning if you don't actually learn from it.

AFC coaches: recycle Sholl, McHenry, Butts

Back