Toast Matty Taberner

Remove this Banner Ad

He played a lot like Saint Nick running up and down the ground taking marks. Let's home he's turns out as good as him.

I think he was also assisted by the presence of Walters and Crozier. With those two in the team we have an actual working half forward line able to lead up outside 50 and deliver with precision. Mayne is freed up to play this role too. That's where we've been falling down recently, meaning that long bombs to tall fwds were out modus opperandi, allowing opponents to play a third tall and just cut everything off.

Now with a number of mobile small/medium fwds we can play a shorter game and enter with more precision, allowing Tabs and Pav both to get on the end of better quality possession.
Yeah, I'd like to see Pav playing deep from now on. Ballantyne and Walters can rotate who goes further up the ground and who crumbs in the deep forward.

The only thing that worries me about Tabs is when he is pressured, he just stops moving and clears the ball blindly. We saw it a few times yesterday, and it resulted in a Hawthorn goal a week ago. Did this in his first few WAFL games but seems to have improved this year, hopefully once he adjusts to AFL intensity he will eradicate this.

Ripper tackler for a KPF I must say.

Well done Mr. Tabener, a well earned feather for your cap - assuming the rising star committee can reach that high of course - might need to take your cap off first to make their job a bit easier.

Also, for all those folks saying Tabs needs a bit more agro, watch the replay - one of those off-the-ball scuffles has Tabs really giving his opponent what for. There was nothing nasty, OTT or untoward in it, but Tabs didn't take a backwards step, and his opponent was the one who was flat on his back getting a shirt-front from Tabs. Matt stood up for himself, and backed it up with a great game - well done! :thumbsu:

Great for him to get the rising star!
There was an article in The Worst today (basically a Mundy interview) and he said that the penny finally dropped for Tabs and he knows what he needs to do to play at AFL level now.

Great for him to get the rising star!
There was an article in The Worst today (basically a Mundy interview) and he said that the penny finally dropped for Tabs and he knows what he needs to do to play at AFL level now.

If the last two weeks are anything to go by that means needing to contribute when not in possession, tackles/smothers etc. Not really that hard to figure out is it? A certain C Sylvia could benefit from Tab's words. Actually that's too obvious, let's say Colin S.

Rising star for R22. This kid looks the goods and could be a future STAR destroying teams as he's hard to beat as he runs you down with pace.:) i hope you like this :)

Rising star for R22. This kid looks the goods and could be a future STAR destroying teams as he's hard to beat as he runs you down with pace.:) i hope you like this :)
Really like the look of this kid! Maybe a Jack Darling type for us?

Oh how a couple good games of footy changes perspectives... the trials and tribulations of AFL football I suppose.

Taberner is in amongst the bests nearly every week for Peel. He's got really good skills and sticky hands and it's also exciting that he's a left footer. He's got a massive future with us. Great find by Fremantle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-08-26/running-man-tabs

Good interview.

When Freo selected Matt Taberner in the 2012 Rookie Draft, it did so with the knowledge that he was a very good runner.

On Sunday in Brisbane, Taberner translated his excellent endurance abilities into a superb AFL game with what Ross Lyon described as an “outstanding” display.

“He ran them to death,” said the Freo senior coach told reporters after the game.

Taberner had 22 disposals and kicked a goal, and he ran his opponent to all corners of the Gabba to haul in 10 marks and was recongised with the round 22 NAB Rising Star nomination.

The 21-year-old was a strong middle distance runner at high school, although he said he developed a better running capacity in his late teens.

He knew entering the AFL that he had to turn his tank into an asset.

“It’s a big aspect of my game and something I have to try and exploit teams with,” Taberner said.

The key forward alluded to his forte in an interview with fremantlefc.com.au just days after he’d been drafted in December 2012. “I have always been a pretty natural runner but I have been trying to work on it over the last few years,” Taberner said.

While he’s had two years in the system, Taberner’s endurance has remained where it was when he was drafted.

Piling on eight kilos of muscle to build an AFL body was the reason.

“I’ve put on a few kilos so that makes it a bit harder,” he said.

“(My running capacity) has probably stayed at the same level.”

needs a big game this week, even with Pav in.
2 goals would be handy, but needs a few marks, and around ~15 possies to have played a good game imo. Basically needs to keep the defenders guarding him, put on defensive pressure, and use his running capabilities to be an option coming out of the backline.

needs a big game this week, even with Pav in.
2 goals would be handy, but needs a few marks, and around ~15 possies to have played a good game imo. Basically needs to keep the defenders guarding him, put on defensive pressure, and use his running capabilities to be an option coming out of the backline.
15 possessions and 2 goals is a ridiculous expectation.
10 possessions and 1 goal would be great, really he just needs to provide a target and bring the ball to ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back