Media alert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's a fairly large exaggeration. He played better, for sure, but there were still plenty of times when he was exposed by his opponent.
I think there have been a number of unrealistic assessments of Taylor, Gardiner, Cutler,McStay and that group generally. I expect they will continue to improve and excite; I'm really looking forward to watching them. In addition, they have shown a commitment to the club unappreciated by some.Hope they don't waste their time on this stuff.

So I've noticed a couple of guys mentioning J.Clayton as looking fit and ready. I know nothing about him, whats his role?

*Ballroom Blicavs
Nah, old man.

Hey ho, let's go
Hey ho, let's go
Their form is in a de-cline
He's the tallest they could find
The rovers are losing their minds
The Blicavs Bop
MI0001401185.jpg

So I've noticed a couple of guys mentioning J.Clayton as looking fit and ready. I know nothing about him, whats his role?
He was played in several positions in his 1st year in the reserves. He is mobile and reasonably tall but tbh I'm not convinced he will make it at AFL, but just my opinion and others may disagree. Not enough strings to his bow for mine.

Having said that, he has only played one year in a poor reserves team deprived of senior players due to senior list injuries so may show something in year 2

Nah, old man.

Hey ho, let's go
Hey ho, let's go
Their form is in a de-cline
He's the tallest they could find
The rovers are losing their minds
The Blicavs Bop
MI0001401185.jpg
You could write for TISM

Thought it was naive in some points. Was stating that we are in position where we can be competitive, consistently. If anything, we are younger this season than last.

We are, but we've lost a lot of older players who have missed a lot of time through injury (Staker, McGuane, Leuey, Goose), for younger guys who have a bit of experience and better evidence of durability (Bastinac, Bell, Walker).

We're younger as a squad, but I think the age difference is a lot less meaningful after about 24/25 anyway, and I don't think that the team we get out on the park each week will look all that much younger than it did this year. In fact, I don't see how it could be unless you assume that three or more of our first year players will be getting significant game time (compared to Andrews and Dawson from last year).

Thought it was naive in some points. Was stating that we are in position where we can be competitive, consistently. If anything, we are younger this season than last.
As a list, we are younger. As a best 22/25? That probably depends on whether you had the likes of Staker, Maguire, McGuane etc in our best 22 at the beginning of last season.

We went into last year with a mature midfield/ruck division but with an over-reliance on youth at either end of the ground. This year won't be too much different except that the youth we're relying on are all a year older, with more games under their belts. It might not mean a massive turnaround but I think it is reasonable to expect improvement which will likely come from the ongoing maturation and development of the young blokes already on the list.

We are, but we've lost a lot of older players who have missed a lot of time through injury (Staker, McGuane, Leuey, Goose), for younger guys who have a bit of experience and better evidence of durability (Bastinac, Bell, Walker).

We're younger as a squad, but I think the age difference is a lot less meaningful after about 24/25 anyway, and I don't think that the team we get out on the park each week will look all that much younger than it did this year. In fact, I don't see how it could be unless you assume that three or more of our first year players will be getting significant game time (compared to Andrews and Dawson from last year).
I would think that Schache gets a fair bit of time in the 1sts. Maybe 8+ games.
And Keayes l think will get some time in the 1sts.
Hipwood might get 4/5 games.

Am assuming we obviously get injuries to allow for these guys to come in or loss of form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think that Schache gets a fair bit of time in the 1sts. Maybe 8+ games.
And Keayes l think will get some time in the 1sts.
Hipwood might get 4/5 games.

Am assuming we obviously get injuries to allow for these guys to come in or loss of form.

Fair enough.

My totally speculative guess would be something like 4 to 8 games for Keays, 4 or so for Hipwood (agree with your guess). Schache I'm less sure about, but I'd say he'll get a few.

Compare that to last year where Andrews got 20 games, Dawson got 10, McGrath got 3, Beasley got 6, and Billy Evans got 5. That was a year where even first year kids off the rookie list were getting games because of a lead topping injury list. Even with a slightly reduced level of injuries next year, I struggle to see our first year kids getting that many games.

On that basis, it seems likely to me that we have fewer first year player-games this year compared to last. Everyone else on the list is a year older, except for our new recruits compared to the outgoing players. I'd bet reasonable money that Bell, Bastinac and Walker combined will play more senior games than Staker, McGuane and Goose did last year. To do so, they'll most likely be pushing younger players out.

All of these things being the case, I'd expect that our 22 would be older this year.

As a list, we are younger. As a best 22/25? That probably depends on whether you had the likes of Staker, Maguire, McGuane etc in our best 22 at the beginning of last season.

We went into last year with a mature midfield/ruck division but with an over-reliance on youth at either end of the ground. This year won't be too much different except that the youth we're relying on are all a year older, with more games under their belts. It might not mean a massive turnaround but I think it is reasonable to expect improvement which will likely come from the ongoing maturation and development of the young blokes already on the list.
+ hopefully less injuries and further refinement of Leppas game plans and ideas. Game plans is what wins games these days IMO just look at the Dogs and WCE both who were rubbish in 2014 yet came on well under a new coach and style.

Fair enough.

My totally speculative guess would be something like 4 to 8 games for Keays, 4 or so for Hipwood (agree with your guess). Schache I'm less sure about, but I'd say he'll get a few.

Compare that to last year where Andrews got 20 games, Dawson got 10, McGrath got 3, Beasley got 6, and Billy Evans got 5. That was a year where even first year kids off the rookie list were getting games because of a lead topping injury list. Even with a slightly reduced level of injuries next year, I struggle to see our first year kids getting that many games.

On that basis, it seems likely to me that we have fewer first year player-games this year compared to last. Everyone else on the list is a year older, except for our new recruits compared to the outgoing players. I'd bet reasonable money that Bell, Bastinac and Walker combined will play more senior games than Staker, McGuane and Goose did last year. To do so, they'll most likely be pushing younger players out.

All of these things being the case, I'd expect that our 22 would be older this year.

Keays, for mine; plays 20+ and wins the rising star :cool:

I don't see why we wouldn't play Schache for at least 10 + games. It's not like we have any better options lol.

You mean like an injury free season?
Or, much like Martin, played consistently in his best position (not filling in in the ruck).

Gotta admit, i laughed pretty hard there. Close will need a stefan martin like improvement if he ever hopes to get a spot in 2015.
Wow, injury kept him off the training track for a third of his first year (not that many talls do much in their first season), and was out all of this year.
When are you going to stop trolling this board?

Wow, injury kept him off the training track for a third of his first year (not that many talls do much in their first season), and was out all of this year.
When are you going to stop trolling this board?

Injury may have kept him out this year, but that didn't stop him from showing absolutely nothing when he was on our squad. Also, opinion doesn't equal trolling mate. Especially seeing as i only bagged Close and not Freeman or Mcstay.

Last edited:
Although I agree Close will need to improve a lot to get a game this year, there has to be a better way HYD to get your point across.

Walker, Freeman and McStay have shown a bit more than Close and with Schache and Hipwood coming in it's hard to see where Close fits into our long term plans in the forward line. As some have mentioned in the past, would love to see him play in the backline this year and eventually take over from Merrett when he retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back