Strategy Marketing, Sales, Communication & Media Structure & Strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

Difference is we have 70 + year old supporters who have followed the club their whole life, supported their club.

The crows have 70+ year old supporters who decided to ditch the theatre 20 years ago and follow the latest thingamajig
True but the real difference is, our supporters have tea with a Legend, they get Fagan

Not sure how I feel about this TBH. If it was the Crows we'd be hanging s**t on them.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...oin-russell-ebert-for-morning-tea-at-alberton

Love this initiative. If a sporting club has given you so much enjoyment for over 7 decades and counting in your life, it's a little way to give something back after you pass to ensure it gives a few more generations the same kind of memories.

Not entirely sure and I may be pulling this out of my hat, but a minimum pledge in your will to Port is $10,000 to be a member (once again I could be wrong on that) - Pretty substantial donation nevertheless. Then the club pools the money into an investment fund where only the dividends are touched annually. If the club had a large enough pool investment capital, it could provide substantial and steady income for the club over and above the fluctuations in membership and sponsors.

Yeah, nah. This is a little tasteless.

"Hi, I'm quadruple Magery medalist, Russell Ebert. Are you over 70? Do you feel ill, off colour or better still, have you been given limited time to live? Then why not join me for a cup of tea where we can discuss changing your will so those good for nothing hangers on you call family get cut out and your footy team gets cut in? What's in it for you? Plenty! They didn't call Brett SOG for nothing. I can arrange accomodation of your choice in the next life- or as I prefer to call it- the fifth quarter. We can even arrange the timing of your bequest with our new corporate partner, Nitschke Removals. It's a win win for all concerned (except your family and the RSPCA) and they probably would've spent it on drugs anyway. So leave your medication at home, bring your will and join me for an afternoon tea you will never forget (unless you have advanced dementia in which case you'll get a glass of water from triple Brownlow medalist, Nathan Lonie)."

I put my fathers name on the PAFC honour roll, and i'm sure if the bequest was around at the time of his death, he would have been signed up to it.
I like to do these things because there are no doubts in my mind that he would appreciate it, some people have the club as such a significant part of their life that it just makes sense for them to give.

Don't have a problem with this at all, especially when trying to help the elderly sign up to the bequest knowing exactly what they are getting in to, seeing if it's the right decision for them etc. It may be morbid, but it's also a celebration of the effect our club has had on their lives. Ebert isn't there to be a greasy salesman, he is there to make sure these people are appreciated as they should be.

#weareportadelaide

"Hi, I'm quadruple Magery medalist, Russell Ebert. Are you over 70? Do you feel ill, off colour or better still, have you been given limited time to live? Then why not join me for a cup of tea where we can discuss changing your will so those good for nothing hangers on you call family get cut out and your footy team gets cut in? What's in it for you? Plenty! They didn't call Brett SOG for nothing. I can arrange accomodation of your choice in the next life- or as I prefer to call it- the fifth quarter. We can even arrange the timing of your bequest with our new corporate partner, Nitschke Removals. It's a win win for all concerned (except your family and the RSPCA) and they probably would've spent it on drugs anyway. So leave your medication at home, bring your will and join me for an afternoon tea you will never forget (unless you have advanced dementia in which case you'll get a glass of water from triple Brownlow medalist, Nathan Lonie)."

If there is any tastelessness going around, it's you, cobbler.

No you're wrong, it's way more than a little tasteless.

Seriously I can't believe that anyone could find fault with Port reaching out to older - possibly quite lonely late in life - supporters and sharing some of the glory with them.

I'm getting on but still well off the group being invited here, but I've enjoyed talking to older players like Russell Ebert, Steve Traynor and Bob Philp and hearing their stories of life at Port. They really make you feel part of it all and well done to the club for recognising its supporter demographic doesn't stop at 20yo.

Ford Fairlane is one who has commented in the 'Media "Shakes Head"' thread on Rucci's latest media attempt.
I've read it a couple of times now, reading between the lines as much as along them, as I tend to do, thinking: "What's the real angle here?"

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...chelangelo-rucci/story-fnia3nqh-1227231837801

Power president David Koch put on his act last week — with much of the sting in explaining how Port Adelaide’s $2.5 million loss could have been softened by a better return at Adelaide Oval dulled by the leak to The Advertiser of the new stadium deal. This will deliver $3 million more to the Power and Crows next year and $4 million in each of 2016 and 2017 before another review.

This is, Rucci readily admits, a rehash.
Reference to 'the leak to The Advertiser of the new stadium deal' sounds like a desperate cry of "Don't bypass me, I'm relevant!"
It comes after Kochie mentioned said leak in front of Rucci on radio last Saturday morning, did so in a tone of voice that suggested the leak had been authorised by the Club as a tactic leading up to the AGM and had nothing to do with any love, respect or favour towards the leakee.

Logic indicates that the press conference which last Wednesday the SANFL CEO told us would take place on Thursday and didn't, will happen in time for the Crows' AGM next week. Quid pro quo. Nothing wrong with that.

Koch took charge at Alberton in October 2012 (and) declared he wanted to make Port Adelaide a “national brand”. His era has delivered international sponsors, French carmaker Renault, the world’s largest dairy conglomerate Parmalat and in the next week the Power is primed to announce another significant corporate deal.

Nothing new here either, and zero evidence of any investigative effort. The Club's second Joint Major Sponsor, EnergyAustralia, is also a member of an international corporate group, but rates no mention.
And we've known for at least a week re the imminent revelation of another Club partner with the same status as OAK (Parmalat).
Rucci doesn't know who it is, nor does he know anything newsworthy that the Club doesn't want him to know.
Rucci, therefore, has to file with his employer his weekly quota of words compiled using his unique non-news-gathering skill: rhetorical questions there is no answer to, a minimum of quotes as no-one gives him any, fleshed out with rehash rehash rehash.

There is a solution to this: sit down with someone 'newsworthy' for an hour - as Caro did with Rory Sloane this week - and write something fresh and in reasonable depth in correct, professional prose.
But for this to happen, the journalist firstly has to have the ability and contacts to set up such an interview, and secondly has to be working for an editor and publisher who have the required respect for the readers who pay their salary to put something fresh, educational and entertaining in front of them.

In the absence of these qualities locally, the only alternative is to invite a respected journalist in to town from across the border, from a market that - heaven forbid - has media corporations that compete with each other and force each other to raise their game.
This is starting to happen ... and I suspect the Ruccis, their editors and publisher (singular) do not like it one little bit.

REH likes to speak of Paradigm Shifts. Is there one being forced upon the South Australian football media ? Shape up or be bypassed ?
I know, that sounds like a Rucci-like rhetorical question ... but one he knows the answer to. Or very soon will.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...chelangelo-rucci/story-fnia3nqh-1227231837801

There is a solution to this: sit down with someone 'newsworthy' for an hour - as Caro did with Rory Sloane this week - and write something fresh and in reasonable depth in correct, professional prose.
But for this to happen, the journalist firstly has to have the ability and contacts to set up such an interview, and secondly has to be working for an editor and publisher who have the required respect for the readers who pay their salary to put something fresh, educational and entertaining in front of them.
In the absence of these qualities locally, the only alternative is to invite a respected journalist in to town from across the border, from a market that - heaven forbid - has media corporations that compete with each other and force each other to raise their game.
This is starting to happen ... and I suspect the Ruccis, their editors and publisher (singular) do not like it one little bit.

You know times are tough when the era of Alan Shiell and Ashley Porter at The News circa 1980s looks like some sort of erstwhile golden age of journalism.

At least they would set up meetings with players and write reasonably coherent and at time informative interview pieces.

Ford Fairlane is one who has commented in the 'Media "Shakes Head"' thread on Rucci's latest media attempt.
I've read it a couple of times now, reading between the lines as much as along them, as I tend to do, thinking: "What's the real angle here?"

Power president David Koch put on his act last week — with much of the sting in explaining how Port Adelaide’s $2.5 million loss could have been softened by a better return at Adelaide Oval dulled by the leak to The Advertiser of the new stadium deal. This will deliver $3 million more to the Power and Crows next year and $4 million in each of 2016 and 2017 before another review.

This is, Rucci readily admits, a rehash.
Reference to 'the leak to The Advertiser of the new stadium deal' sounds like a desperate cry of "Don't bypass me, I'm relevant!"
It comes after Kochie mentioned said leak in front of Rucci on radio last Saturday morning, did so in a tone of voice that suggested the leak had been authorised by the Club as a tactic leading up to the AGM and had nothing to do with any love, respect or favour towards the leakee.

Logic indicates that the press conference which last Wednesday the SANFL CEO told us would take place on Thursday and didn't, will happen in time for the Crows' AGM next week. Quid pro quo. Nothing wrong with that.

Koch took charge at Alberton in October 2012 (and) declared he wanted to make Port Adelaide a “national brand”. His era has delivered international sponsors, French carmaker Renault, the world’s largest dairy conglomerate Parmalat and in the next week the Power is primed to announce another significant corporate deal.

Nothing new here either, and zero evidence of any investigative effort. The Club's second Joint Major Sponsor, EnergyAustralia, is also a member of an international corporate group, but rates no mention.
And we've known for at least a week re the imminent revelation of another Club partner with the same status as OAK (Parmalat).
Rucci doesn't know who it is, nor does he know anything newsworthy that the Club doesn't want him to know.
Rucci, therefore, has to file with his employer his weekly quota of words compiled using his unique non-news-gathering skill: rhetorical questions there is no answer to, a minimum of quotes as no-one gives him any, fleshed out with rehash rehash rehash.

REH likes to speak of Paradigm Shifts. Is there one being forced upon the South Australian football media ? Shape up or be bypassed ?
I know, that sounds like a Rucci-like rhetorical question ... but one he knows the answer to. Or very soon will.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/president-david-kochs-push-for-powers-first-profit-in-eight-years-tests-clubs-link-to-traditional-fans-writes-michelangelo-rucci/story-fnia3nqh-1227231837801

Superbly put LR.

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contrary to my earlier indication - for which I apologise - it seems Rucci is back in favour (he was at the Club just after lunchtime) and Caro seems to have been placed into temporary storage :

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...at-adelaide-oval/story-fni5f9de-1227257424283

...the challenge of keeping the fan base “engaged” at Adelaide Oval is to be taken to a new level after Power executives gained new insight on game-day experience at the Sports Business Summit in New York City last week.

Chief executive Keith Thomas and general manager (marketing) Matthew Richardson were the only AFL identities at the two-day international conference ensuring the Power will keep advancing its game-day program while other AFL clubs try to catch the ground the Port Adelaide made at the Oval last season.

They gained insight on connecting with fans - and building connections in new international markets such as China - from leading sports teams such as English Premier League clubs Liverpool and Arsenal and NBA basketball sides Brooklyn Nets and the Boston Celtics.

“We have a world-class stadium at Adelaide Oval - and we went to learn from the best in the world on how to deliver a world-class experience at our games,” Richardson said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...at-adelaide-oval/story-fni5f9de-1227257424283

The Brooklyn Nets made quite an impression. They have, for one thing, the right basic colors:

Brooklyn Nets.jpg

Lockhart Road it looks like Brooklyn have already learned something from Port Adelaide with their ad campaign launched late last year.

brooklyn-nets-01-2014.jpg

Interestingly (coincidentally?) Brooklyn started their pre-season campaign with games in Shanghai and Beijing. ;)

Contrary to my earlier indication - for which I apologise - it seems Rucci is back in favour (he was at the Club just after lunchtime) and Caro seems to have been placed into temporary storage :

...the challenge of keeping the fan base “engaged” at Adelaide Oval is to be taken to a new level after Power executives gained new insight on game-day experience at the Sports Business Summit in New York City last week.

Chief executive Keith Thomas and general manager (marketing) Matthew Richardson were the only AFL identities at the two-day international conference ensuring the Power will keep advancing its game-day program while other AFL clubs try to catch the ground the Port Adelaide made at the Oval last season.

They gained insight on connecting with fans - and building connections in new international markets such as China - from leading sports teams such as English Premier League clubs Liverpool and Arsenal and NBA basketball sides Brooklyn Nets and the Boston Celtics.

“We have a world-class stadium at Adelaide Oval - and we went to learn from the best in the world on how to deliver a world-class experience at our games,” Richardson said.

The Brooklyn Nets made quite an impression. They have, for one thing, the right basic colors:

View attachment 115055
They also have a great new stadium in the Barclays Center (US spel) which has been at the centre of the rejuvination of downtown Brooklyn with the Nets being the first professional sports team to be based in Brooklyn in 55 years. Their Stadium open in September
2012.. There were 2 great Bloomberg TV stories about their stadium first when it opened and another after 6 months later. I sent links of both stories to KT and Richo. I dont know how much of the stories they took in but they were a window into what was possible and what has happened at Adelaide Oval. I posted the links on Bigfooty.

Great to hear the club is spending the $$$ to stay at the cutting edge.

Took the family to see the Blinc riverbank display.
Laser images on Festival Centre roof and ParliamenHouse facade.
Parts wer good, others meh, but the principle remains as i emailed the Club last year regarding using the AO roof to project B,W&T images on it at night - a blank canvas as you will, waiting for someone to harness it

Saw the tram yesterday with "Bring The Noise" emblazoned all over it. Does that mean we're gonna get some PE at home games this year? If so, no Anthrax...

View attachment 115055

Found the conference that KT and Richo attended 10 days ago in New York. It was the Leaders series - the group that has hosted events our staff have previously attended in NY and London. This was The Sports Business Summit and link to info and speakers is at

http://www.leadersinsport.com/attend/the-sport-business-summit-new-york/

2 of the the speakers were from Brooklyn Nets, one the GM Billy King and the other CEO of the Brooklyn Nets and The Barclays Center Brett Yormark. The Nets own 45% of the Barclays Center and the rest is owned by property and real estate developer manager company headed up by Bruce Ratner.

Brett Yormark takes Sportfolio host Rick Horrow thru the Barclays Center in the video below in November 2012, a few weeks after it opened. Watch between the 9.00 and 15.00 minute mark and you can see why KT and Richo would have been impressed with him and the Nets, but more importantly what the Nets do at the Barclays Center and what ideas they are probably going to bring back and try at AO. See

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/b/7d9b33d6-8945-4781-abbb-71a6fce04d89

And this video gives you an idea of the technical marvels at the stadium with a couple of techie geeks.

and another techie features video starting with the stadiums main external feature the Oculus, once again like the other 2 videos you see some of the likely future features of AO in the video.

Last edited:
Kudos to Eddie Dingle and REH for spotting this in the Australian Financial Review and posting on the 'Media Nods Head' thread.
Worthy of being archived here as well.
Same goes for anything of similar quality published in the white-colour national press. Nothing wrong with blue-collar national press either.

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/p...fl-revenuesharing-tax-by-2016-20150322-1m3k8b

Port Adelaide to pay AFL revenue-sharing tax by 2016
  • 1426821711356.jpg
by John Stensholt

AFL club Port Adelaide will cap a four-year financial turnaround by becoming a contributor to the league's revenue-sharing regime by 2016.

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/p...fl-revenuesharing-tax-by-2016-20150322-1m3k8b

Kudos to Eddie Dingle and REH for spotting this in the Australian Financial Review and posting on the 'Media Nods Head' thread.
Worthy of being archived here as well.
Same goes for anything of similar quality published in the white-colour national press. Nothing wrong with blue-collar national press either.

Port Adelaide to pay AFL revenue-sharing tax by 2016
  • 1426821711356.jpg
by John Stensholt

AFL club Port Adelaide will cap a four-year financial turnaround by becoming a contributor to the league's revenue-sharing regime by 2016.

I was reading the Fin in the Qantas business lounge at around 6am at Sydney airport this morning.

Yes I really was.

I was reading the Fin in the Qantas business lounge at around 6am at Sydney airport this morning.

Yes I really was.
But were they serving beers and other alcoholic beverages that early??

But were they serving beers and other alcoholic beverages that early??

Airports are one of the few places where you can pretty much drink any time of the day without judgmental looks. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back