Meeting with Matt Finnis

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask him about the top bloke he met at the Auckland Airport Virgin Lounge. ;)

In case you were wondering toxic there weren't any around.

Given we are St Kilda I've always thought there is a huge opportunity with the backpackers. Game day package, bus from Fitzroy street, game, pie, beer, maybe a player on the bus and a 'saint for life' card and a special email newsletter from thence on. Would be great as they spread the word o/s.

In my childhood I have a recollection with the previous incarnation of the NBL.

South East Melbourne Magic was a thing, as a club, and as my location and google will tell you, I am situated North West Melbourne Normal. Basketball as a sport bores me, similar to tennis and golf, I am s**t at it, I can recognise that there is skill involved but visually I can't take it in. Yet there me and my old man were, buying apparel, getting on a branded bus, buying seats and sitting on a bus with like minded people who some were probably members (old man hates the things). All it took to get our money and the money of 60 odd people on a weekly basis was a 60 seater bus and petrol.

I have found it strange that in the AFL, there is no such thing, you want the club, it's up to you to get to them and there and wherever they may be, because otherwise, they don't care, their engagement is loud noises and flashy marketing to distract that they care about you as a member.

Club can't even cancel an invoice I have with them, the #$%^ would I make an effort to spend an hour and a half to get to Seaford to go to such events and matches and places with them?

I care about my sister, spent 7 hours in a car, I care about my best friend, 3 planes and 23 hours later she and I rocked England together.
I don't give a rats about my membership, I don't need it to tell me that I love the club, support the club, or want them to succeed, it's not a badge, it doesn't elevate me to any great station where I feel chuffed and important, it simply allows me to get a seat at a game if I can be bothered.

Right now, I can't be bothered. Public transport is a pain. Parking is a pain, where before I could walk the waterfront afterwards, now it's basically encased in a cold environment of steel and concrete, and I consider myself country, it's s**t, it's claustrophobic and there's nothing that makes me want to go through the bother to get there. But;

Club has a 4am bus $25 a head at the local depot, I'm there and spending the day in Melb.

We take the easier option because everyone else takes the easy option and then we simply don't sacrifice anymore.

So my question if I wasn't a timid antisocial bastard would be why is there a peristent view that 50km north of Melbourne the AFL, clubs included are of the opinion we don't exist.

All the school visits etc are the things that sign up kids that are undecided. We are Melbourne City fans because my son had the players come to his school. Three guys off the rookie list or something and the school has about 10 kids who went for City after that and a whole lot of families now signed up- that's around 40 new game attendances and that's one visit to a small school. Sippos was a Saints fan because Jason Cripps came to visit his school when he was a kid.
My 2 young cousins went for others teams (cant recall possibly carlton).
Next time i seen them they said they go for the saints now.
This was in 2003 i think.
I said why?
Nick reiwoldt came to their school.
"He was awesome."

I know he keeps low key these days but I would like plugger to come back to the club in some way . I know he made a brief appearance for r Harvey's retirement .
He's the biggest full forward of all time and most people would believe he kicked most goals with the swans which is very sad for our club .
The swans kinda took full ownership of him .
Mid eighties thru to 90s was all about plugger at the saints and fair enough too.
It would be great to have a bronze statue of him outside the new Moorabbin but I just feel he needs to give a bit back to the saints first.

I know he keeps low key these days but I would like plugger to come back to the club in some way . I know he made a brief appearance for r Harvey's retirement .
He's the biggest full forward of all time and most people would believe he kicked most goals with the swans which is very sad for our club .
The swans kinda took full ownership of him .
Mid eighties thru to 90s was all about plugger at the saints and fair enough too.
It would be great to have a bronze statue of him outside the new Moorabbin but I just feel he needs to give a bit back to the saints first.
Need to get into Spuds ear as theyre still pretty good friends I believe.

Montagna?
Tom Lee or bust I reckon. Calling "Tommy Lee's Motley Crew" for the win.

It would be good to do something similar to Rayo Vallecano in the Spanish football league who donate a percentage of their tops promoting some good causes to charity. We could do the same with our pride jumper. Show Finnis this story from the Guardian and maybe they can contact the club and get some ideas from them as they are pretty much the most progressive football club in Europe and it seems that he would like the Saints to be the same.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/01/rayo-vallecano-rainbow-kit-supports-lgbt-rights

Need to get into Spuds ear as theyre still pretty good friends I believe.

Tom Lee or bust I reckon. Calling "Tommy Lee's Motley Crew" for the win.

Tom Lee is a perfect replacement, he's a very up beat funny guy. He is a practical joker like Schnieder.

Thanks for all the replies guys, obviously cant reply to them all but really great suggestions in here. I'm going to note them all down and put them into a word document possibly this weekend. As the ideas keep coming I'll just add to it. Cheers

some great feedback here, particularly around the fan engagement and cheer squad element on game day.

We all know the Premier League is the best regarding crowd chants, songs etc. I think it would be really good if we could get a Tottenham Hotspur esq' long version of "Oh When The Saints... Go Marching In" with a really slow, long drawn out clap.

youtube example below:

30 thousand singing in that example... Imagine a packed ETIHAD?

1 gabillion times better than the "Saint kilda" clap clap clap...

If u could get similar chants going the atmosphere would make the game win lose or draw!

I acknowledge this is incredibly tough as afl fans are some of the most limp wristed, wet fish, fair weather crowds in sport full stop.

Last edited:
1 gabillion times better than the "Saint kilda" clap clap clap...

If u could get similar chants going the atmosphere would make the game win loose or draw!

I acknowledge this is incredibly tough as afl fans are some of the most limp wristed, wet fish, fair weather crowds in sport full stop.

The thing is the club could get this happening with an appropriate e-mail to members and scoreboard accompaniment.. it wouldn't take long to catch on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how about at every home game introduce some of our greats. There are lots of the '66 team available. I once had the pleasure of watching Darrel Baldock do a circuit with Graeme 'Gypsy' Lee (early 60s teams) at Launceston and then sat near him. We went on to beat Port by a few points. It was a memorable experience. A circuit and a highlights reel on the big screen would remind us of our great history and players.

How about getting some of the players who are not best 22 and/or emergency to do giveaways or sign autographs around the boundary BEFORE the game when scheduling allows it.

Also tell Finnis if he engraved my name into a brick to be put into the Moorabin redevelopment I would be willing to give him $1,000. And just remind him that five million dollars is only 5,000 x $1,000.

I'd also like to see more black in our use of the LED signage at home matches. In equal amounts of Red, White and Black would be good. In vertical or horizontal bands. I thought the mainly white with geometric 'confetti' was very wishy-washy this year.

Can you just remind him that we need a Flag. We desperately need a Flag. As in, channel all energies resources ideas departments into the pursuit of this one goal. Cheers Q.

Last edited:
Also tell Finnis if he engraved my name into a brick to be put into the Moorabin redevelopment I would be willing to give him $1,000. And just remind him that five million dollars is only 5,000 x $1,000.
I really like this. Essendon did this at their ground and their social club and it looks really good.

I really like this. Essendon did this at their ground and their social club and it looks really good.
i think we would have a chance of 50000x $100 "buy a brick"- certainly have a "buy a boulder" option at $1000 for corporates.

Also i believe there is an opportunity for club to partner with VIC gov to perhaps include a free membership to recent migrants.
i arrived here in 2011 and within days was asked why i had not selected a club! Would be great to see saints proactively marketing to the recent arrivals.

Also i believe there is an opportunity for club to partner with VIC gov to perhaps include a free membership to recent migrants.
i arrived here in 2011 and within days was asked why i had not selected a club! Would be great to see saints proactively marketing to the recent arrivals.
Whilst a fine idea, I'm not sure that would get past the Victorian Government's Advisor on All Things Important or Otherwise, one Edward McGuire :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back