Discussion Saints part ways with recruiting manager after restructure

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember McPhee being pretty good at Sandringham and I was disappointed when he was rotated away from the Zebs. Batch seems the best of the, erm, batch since then by a long way. It's clear that we have taken way too long to recognise the importance of developing our VFL team in terms of benefits for the senior AFL team but it seems that we finally get it now.

I remember McPhee being pretty good at Sandringham and I was disappointed when he was rotated away from the Zebs. Batch seems the best of the, erm, batch since then by a long way. It's clear that we have taken way too long to recognise the importance of developing our VFL team in terms of benefits for the senior AFL team but it seems that we finally get it now.
Mcphee did well at Sandi I felt

The likes of Eli, Minchington, Curren, Milera.

I really couldn't see them doing much more than they did.

Eli ended up a star VFL player. Reckon he got cut early. Of course it’s a bit of both but you need to get the most out of the good ones you do get hold of.

Billings and Dunstan were just not that good.
Ended up burning pick 3 in hindsight. Pick 19 on Dunstan was hit or miss, he turned out to be a miss.
Acres and DMAC both proved to be AFL players but we never saw the best of either.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Neither were stars but we got very little back for guys who started well and ended up having to pay them to go. Same as Acres.

again though as a club we were totally on the nose to others we had burnt bridges with Lyon and the industry saw us as a basket case for letting that happen ... we then had Harves take over as an intrim and burnt him by bringing in Watters for the main gig so rightly so he left disgruntled to Collingwood again the industry look at St Kild wondering what the hell was going on .. we then sacked Pelchen we then sacked Nettlefold we changed President the place was a shambles we were not getting a higly credited assistant coach (heck we couldnt attract a highly credited head coach) so when it came to looking for a development coach we had a fairly shallow pool to look at ... i maintain that while yes it was a feel good appointment to be the first club to employ a full time female coaching staff member and yes there was certainly some virtue signalling with that appointment i dont believe we turned down any better candidates for the role at the time ...

and yeah she had ambititions (who can blame a person for that ) but i dont think she did a worse job then anyone else we would have overlooked for her .. We were in a phase of scrimp and save at all costs so we patched up roles by having people do duel roles and we pushed people into roles they were not up to cause again we were rebuilding so winning games wasnt the main priority (especially under Richo).. but it was the dark days we needed to have to get through the other side ... we were in the scrimp and save mode in the GT era as well and it prob cost us a flag at that time .. this time we were already bottom so it was possibley the best time to do it to right the ship

I agree with most of that but we could have easily chased a known assistant coach. If you’re flying you can get creative. We started painting over the asbestos cladding instead of hiring an architect.

Eli ended up a star VFL player. Reckon he got cut early. Of course it’s a bit of both but you need to get the most out of the good ones you do get hold of.

We had a lot like Eli who were on the cusp. But we didn't get many of those who made the grade.

We had a lot like Eli who were on the cusp. But we didn't get many of those who made the grade.

Exactly. Which with good development programs might have. We didn’t invest in staff and wasted years.

I was interested to hear when you heard, and how you felt, about getting Dalrymple (given that there's nothing on the club website) and then I read forwards from there. I'm impressed by the standard of contributions in this thread! Is this thread typical of your board? There don't appear to be many funny or quirky posters but lots of reasoned, well-informed analysis. Hats off. Also glad to hear that you feel like the club has its house in order and that your future is bright. You had a brilliant season last year way outperforming everybody's expectations from beginning to end. I hope you can consolidate and repeat the feat of playing finals (preferably at the expense of someone like Collingwood or Carlton).

Dalrymple is a good recruiter and I reckon you've done well to poach him (possibly ahead of other rivals). I'm sorry we lost him and I don't know why he left us. Possibly he's a bit mercenary. Possibly he got sick of dealing with Kinnear Beatson. Maybe he likes a change of scenery and some fresh challenges every so often. Maybe he wanted to expand his role beyond drafting. I don't think it was because he wanted to return to Melbourne because I understand he never had to leave and was based in Melbourne the whole time. Let me know if you find out.

Cheer, cheer.

I was interested to hear when you heard, and how you felt, about getting Dalrymple (given that there's nothing on the club website) and then I read forwards from there. I'm impressed by the standard of contributions in this thread! Is this thread typical of your board? There don't appear to be many funny or quirky posters but lots of reasoned, well-informed analysis. Hats off. Also glad to hear that you feel like the club has its house in order and that your future is bright. You had a brilliant season last year way outperforming everybody's expectations from beginning to end. I hope you can consolidate and repeat the feat of playing finals (preferably at the expense of someone like Collingwood or Carlton).

Dalrymple is a good recruiter and I reckon you've done well to poach him (possibly ahead of other rivals). I'm sorry we lost him and I don't know why he left us. Possibly he's a bit mercenary. Possibly he got sick of dealing with Kinnear Beatson. Maybe he likes a change of scenery and some fresh challenges every so often. Maybe he wanted to expand his role beyond drafting. I don't think it was because he wanted to return to Melbourne because I understand he never had to leave and was based in Melbourne the whole time. Let me know if you find out.

Cheer, cheer.
Completely typical.
This board is full to the brim with the most level-headed, intelligent, introspective and downright handsome men and women you will ever find.

Appreciate your insights and I tend to agree xoxo

Cheer, cheer.
They take after their master (me) 😎😎

Cheer, cheer.
That’s two delusional responses from the first two responses to your post.
I think that says something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three's a party, senile3193 😎
Artificial Intelligence Cinema GIF by BuzzFeed

Cheer, cheer.

what the * do you mean this board lacks humor and personality? typical amazing moderation on this board as always... just letting in these oppo supporters to slander our entire board. i'd take a pies supporter but a sydney supporter. fmd. are we going to get mauled by a gold coast fan next?

what the * do you mean this board lacks humor and personality? typical amazing moderation on this board as always... just letting in these oppo supporters to slander our entire board. i'd take a pies supporter but a sydney supporter. fmd. are we going to get mauled by a gold coast fan next?
He didn't say that, he said it wasn't funny and quirky. I agree. I think funny and quirky is a bridge too far and that "challenged and odd" is much more in our wheelhouse.....

He didn't say that, he said it wasn't funny and quirky. I agree. I think funny and quirky is a bridge too far and that "challenged and odd" is much more in our wheelhouse.....

What about weird ass sons of bitches?

Cheer, cheer.
I think you’ll find his role will be more expansive at St. Kilda…he will be involved in both trade and draft period’s.

Thanks - I didn't realise you were the arbiter of all that is right.......might get you to run your eye over some income tax rulings before my next return goes in......

hahaha sorry cant keep it going was being sarcastic. more taking the piss given how nice the sydney bloke was

Cheer, cheer.
Make sure you pop back in to the match thread when we play Essendon next year. It's a completely different experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back