List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

He seemed to start the year looking lost and was front running when he should have been minding and minding when he should get off the chain. He seemed to get back some of his mojo late in the year.

It will either be a genius move to cut his big contract free for a broken down player that never reaches his potential or a bite on the arse when he finally gets his body right probably. At the end of the day I doubt anyone cares if we are playing finals and look like we have a bright future ourselves. The despair used to kick in when we'd go sell the cow for some beans and then lose the beans on the train on the way home every year.

Losing a few overpaid players isn't a bad thing and resets some expectations. Agree his potential hadn't met his pay packet for long enough periods.
reckon he lost a yard of pace with his archilles which made a massive difference to his effectiveness

Sos has proven to be canny at the trade table and at drafting.
Stocker and Caminiti
Dow for cheap
Henry for a future second

In the draft Lyon wanted pace (got it with Henry and Dow in trades)

Wilson speed, endurance, great skills, runs like Hill, @ pick 18 and a free future second, ( Henry therefore free)

Collard. Speed X factor, high risk, high reward
Hastie, good size, runs like the wind, good intercept
Garcia, good inside mid, designated kick out for his team, means a good kick and decision making. will need some time, but a mid what we needed
Schoenmaker a free hit, Sheahan reckons could be steal of the draft. Only one not quick but has other huge weapons

Bonner, another with run who is a very good backup

So everyone bar Schoenmaker is very quick ( obviously with other skills), just what Lyon wanted. He loves run and one of the reasons he took on this list.

So for me SOS has really passed his first test.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Couldn't agree more, it's great to be able to have some faith in the recruiting department again. Over to the development department now.

Couldn't agree more, it's great to be able to have some faith in the recruiting department again. Over to the development department now.
b89cf9719ff4e08021c9e695be9eecfa

It will either be a genius move to cut his big contract free for a broken down player that never reaches his potential or a bite on the arse when he finally gets his body right probably. At the end of the day I doubt anyone cares if we are playing finals and look like we have a bright future ourselves. The despair used to kick in when we'd go sell the cow for some beans and then lose the beans on the train on the way home every year.
We could be top 4 and there would still be melts in the General Discussion thread each week if Gresham plays a good game.

Man that image still breaks my heart all these years later. I thought that was the moment.
I dared to dream when Goddard took that mark….but then I remembered my luck.

Still staggers me that such a star studded team never won it, I’m convinced that it’s because they wore red white and black. No other possible explanation.

We could be top 4 and there would still be melts in the General Discussion thread each week if Gresham plays a good game.

Maybe but when you're lying in your own filth scrounging for discarded cigarette butts, you don't have capacity to feel excited for a lottery winner.

"I miss seeing the eyebrows light it up, kick up divets and allow Butler to hide after corralling for a tiny nap period".

reckon he lost a yard of pace with his archilles which made a massive difference to his effectiveness
That and lost his kicking power. My biggest moments of frustration this year was when he didn't play the team percentage because he was still in denial that the gifts of his youth had gone. Over 40m out and took the shot that we all knew he could no longer make.

Seems a very similar career path to Daisy Thomas. He went ok at Carlton. Solid player but never back to his early years at Collingwood. I expect similar from Gresh if he can adopt a team outcome first attitude. A change of club may help that.

That and lost his kicking power. My biggest moments of frustration this year was when he didn't play the team percentage because he was still in denial that the gifts of his youth had gone. Over 40m out and took the shot that we all knew he could no longer make.

Seems a very similar career path to Daisy Thomas. He went ok at Carlton. Solid player but never back to his early years at Collingwood. I expect similar from Gresh if he can adopt a team outcome first attitude. A change of club may help that.
+1.

It was sad to watch his deterioration tbh. That zippy evasive Gresh was long gone unfortunately.

Wish him all the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will do better at Essendon. I'd imagine they will play him closer to goal.
I for one wont begrudge him or Coff doing well at a new home. Gresh was immensely frustrating because we saw his very top end in glimpses and he could have been anything.

As much as i cant stand Essendon him having individual success whilst they continue the finals drought would be perfect.

I for one wont begrudge him or Coff doing well at a new home. Gresh was immensely frustrating because we saw his very top end in glimpses and he could have been anything.

As much as i cant stand Essendon him having individual success whilst they continue the finals drought would be perfect.
I wish Coff and Billings well but not Gresham!

+1.

It was sad to watch his deterioration tbh. That zippy evasive Gresh was long gone, unfortunately.

Wish him all the best.
I was just doing some research into the long-term effects of injury on NFL players.

One injury that has been researched thoroughly is Achilles tendon tears. As AFL is a similarly explosive contact sport, I thought the comparison was fair.

The news for Gresh and the dopers is not encouraging. 68% of players studied had significant reductions both in physical performance and confidence in the affected area.

It would appear to be the case with Gresh. He is nowhere near the player he was in his first 4 years at the club. Like most, I thought he was going to be an absolute star.

However, the triple whammy of the Achilles tear, stress fractures in his back, and the PCL injuy, have reduced him to a GOP.

I'm just glad we salvaged something from the situation by effectively getting Lance Collard as compensation. I've got a strong feeling that if we can keep Collard at the club, we'll be ahead of the dopers in this one. 🤞🤞🤞

Last edited:
I was just doing some research into the long-term effects of injury on NFL players.

One injury that has been researched thoroughly is Achilles tendon tears. As AFL is a similarly explosive contact sport, I thought the comparison was fair.

The news for Gresh and the dopers is not encouraging. 68% of players studied had significant reductions both in physical performance and confidence in the affected area.

It would appear to be the case with Gresh. He is nowhere near the player he was in his first 4 years at the club. Like most, I thought he was going to be an absolute star.

However, the triple whammy of the Achilles tear, stress factors in his back, and the PCL injury, have reduced him to a GOP.

I'm just glad we salvaged something from the situation by effectively getting Lance Collard as compensation. I've got a strong feeling that if we can keep Collard at the club, we'll be ahead of the dopers in this one. 🤞🤞🤞
Way ahead.
$500kpa off the books and a young player with real potential.
We won't even notice Gresh is gone till the day we play against him.

After all the talk regarding Howard I watched the replay of the round 6 Carlton game last night. Howard had a reasonable game, he was easily beaten by McKay in one on one contests and had a few dummy spits when getting beaten on the lead. But when our midfield could slow their entries down into the F50 he was good. He took a couple of good marks although none were strongly contested.

Given how well the umpires look after the Carlton forwards all in all Howard had a decent game. If he could just get himself stronger so he can hold his own in one on ones and keep his feet he would improve significantly. He then might have the confidence to become a more attacking key defender. He is one player if I was RTB I would reduce his running requirements and send him into the gym to bulk up 5-10 kgs above anything else.

After all the talk regarding Howard I watched the replay of the round 6 Carlton game last night. Howard had a reasonable game, he was easily beaten by McKay in one on one contests and had a few dummy spits when getting beaten on the lead. But when our midfield could slow their entries down into the F50 he was good. He took a couple of good marks although none were strongly contested.

Given how well the umpires look after the Carlton forwards all in all Howard had a decent game. If he could just get himself stronger so he can hold his own in one on ones and keep his feet he would improve significantly. He then might have the confidence to become a more attacking key defender. He is one player if I was RTB I would reduce his running requirements and send him into the gym to bulk up 5-10 kgs above anything else.
He’s had 7 seasons to get stronger…body shape has barely changed in that time

Uninteresting weekend draft factoid.
Our picks aside from Wilson were thereabouts where they would have with an uncompromised draft.
Excluding 33 for Hastie was bought.
Originally:
12, 30, 48, 64
Actually:
17, 28, 50, 62

Demonstrates you don't need 4thRDP in a heavily compromised draft like 2024s.
Like we did this draft, sell your 2nd and 3rd rounders coz they're not worth much as live picks.

Uninteresting weekend draft factoid.
Our picks aside from Wilson were thereabouts where they would have with an uncompromised draft.
Excluding 33 for Hastie was bought.
Originally:
12, 30, 48, 64
Actually:
17, 28, 50, 62

Demonstrates you don't need 4thRDP in a heavily compromised draft like 2024s.
Like we did this draft, sell your 2nd and 3rd rounders coz they're not worth much as live picks.
Reckon we’ll regret not taking Cooper Simpson at 33 when we had the chance, smooth moving mid against a very skinny HBF!

Reckon we’ll regret not taking Cooper Simpson at 33 when we had the chance, smooth moving mid against a very skinny HBF!
May have been spooked by Geelong if they were always going to take Mannagh at that pick. Surely higher projection for Hastie given the lack of body maturity. I think it's the way the game is headed too (intercepts over dominant midfields)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back