List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think he was ever going to be an absolute gun but you don't need 22 of those. He was a dynamic fast combative player and a point of difference in a slow midfield. If they think they can get him right he's worth keeping because he adds to our depth and changes up a stodgy list. Not worried about retaining a couple of these guys, just need to make sure it doesn't tip too far into injury list cloggers.
Keeping 5 on at a one year contract will still be less than we paid Hanners 🤣

Nothing beats the old chens all you can eat buffet back into the day!!

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
A succulent Chinese meal?
I agree with your overall argument but at this stage we’ve delisted four players and you’d have to think Allison and Highmore are on thin ice. That’s six players potentially gone before we even consider the five you’ve mentioned.
I can’t see DMac getting a contract but with the others it could come down to a choice between them or pick 100 in the draft. The club might think it’s worth giving them a year as opposed to a kid who isn’t going to make it.
What's the lowest draft pick to play 100 games I wonder?
Would be interesting to see some stats for the last 20 years how draft position maps to games played/Brownlow votes/b&f finishes etc

I reckon Clark and Coffield would get us a third rounder each at the moment. You could argue that they would be worth around what Carlton got for Stocker.
No way. Stocker never proved himself at Carlton. Coffield was in the U22 best 22 team a few years ago so has proven that he has heaps of talent when fit, while Clark hasn't won any awards but has played 60 games for the club and has almost never been omitted. They are both at least 2nd round picks. Stocker was delisted so was free

Dow probably a little bit if he can step up. I think Henry plays the Byrnes high half forward role and to me he's probably a similar type with maybe a 10% up grade and less likely to go missing.

Seb Ross is really starting to struggle to put together games so you lose him and all of a sudden Dow probably break even.

Both are young enough to still have potential growth though. Both improve depth which means we ae less likely to have our season start to wobble when another mid goes down.
To me, it all boils down whether we can build a good enough midfield who can at least break even with the top sides.. break even means winning equal amount of contested ball and can deliver it well to our forwards. That alone will make most of our player better by taking pressure off elsewhere we tried to compensate..

Midfield:
#1. Crouch - can win contested ball and is a tackling machine
#2. Steele - more of a tackler than first ball winner
#3. Ross - not an inside mid. Has a bit of speed once fit.

Add
  • Dow - Good clearance player, Put him in the centre square with Crouch
  • Henry - plays wing or half forward, so doesn’t play directly in the midfield
  • Shiel - Good clearance player
Others to consider to fit in the rotation:
  • Stocker (can rotate with Jones at HB?)
  • Jones (can rotate with Stocker at HB?)
  • Brynes (can rotate inside Mid/Wing)

Without Shiel or another experienced mid, we’re very short.. Owens, Windhager, Philipou can pinch hit at times, but will not be consistent at this stage of their career. And Sinclair is elite at half back.

Last edited:
Doubt he's had regular 2 or 3 goals kicked on him in this year. He's pretty solid. After watching Cordy run around like headless chook I'm not as keen to see the back of Doogs. Dougal is frustrating but Cordy was proper out of his depth.
I didn’t say he had 2-3 kicked on him thought did I?

You’re better than that gringo

Doubt he's had regular 2 or 3 goals kicked on him in this year. He's pretty solid. After watching Cordy run around like headless chook I'm not as keen to see the back of Doogs. Dougal is frustrating but Cordy was proper out of his depth.
Agree here. If it is a sellers market and we could get overs for Howard, how do we cover him? We don't have a KPB and as you said Cordy was destroyed in the final, one out he didn't even contest, where Howard would have brought it to ground.
One place we were best in the league, defence, we will weaken significantly.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% but he's going to walk into our best 5 mids in a canter. You aren't putting minutes into a kid when he's going to be in our best mids but it's a band-aid fix that will work for about 12 to 24 months and then be back where we started....and that's if his body doesn't break down.

Playing kids is an investment, you aren't getting an immediate pay off.
You are borrowing trouble.
Only starting training after Xmas, will need to get fit.
Chances are he doesn’t even start beginning of the season. That means others have a chance to make the spot their own, and he will only get in if he’s good enough, in which case he’ll deserve it.

There are always injuries - see Steele this year, and you’re always stating we have no depth. Well now we will have - ready made depth who can come in and step up straightaway.

Ive no doubt RTB will continue to drip feed Windy, Pou and Owens into the midfield as he did this season, and probably more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good from you x

george-costanza-seinfeld.gif

A succulent Chinese meal?

What's the lowest draft pick to play 100 games I wonder?
Would be interesting to see some stats for the last 20 years how draft position maps to games played/Brownlow votes/b&f finishes etc
Sinclair, Wilkie and Marshall have done pretty well as rookies, but I don’t it would go down well if the list management team take 15 picks because they think there‘s some gems in the seventh round.

Would be interesting to see the name of everyone’s local Chinese restaurant.
We have two, Red Lantern and Chopsticks Palace.
Hope Coff stays.
Good news re Jones.
Fat Cat

I highly doubt Essendon will pay enough for gresh if they don’t receive pick 13 in return, IMO I don’t see a world where we end up with it

Let’s just take a second rounder instead of essentially getting Shiel (no s**t)

Their fans insist on it being worth it for us though 🤣

If we do keep and I think we should Jones Billings McKenzie Shiel Clark and Coffield.....if they do not perform through injury next year there are your delistings.....to refresh with new draft picks in 2024. Then there is Paton, Highmore and Alison as well so no need to worry about ditching players end of next year.

The Shiel deal makes sense he was on a large long term contract because he can football, getting a suitable pick in exchange for transfer of his contract for him is a win win for both clubs.

Jones Billings et al can also football and would prefer them on our list as they are out the door next year if they do not perform over a bloke called Jim who has no exposed form at AFL level but he may be durable as all hell but playing all year at SANDY as he is not good enough...like Alison and Adams.

If all the above guys are 50% available for all games, and add to it Dow and Henry there will be a long line up for selections 21,22,23 in the seniors.

Poor spec pick 47 Jimmy will be last in the queue....poor Jimmy. He will get his chance in 2025 if ever.

Visualize Jimmy as a player I loved Cam Shenton and you will get my drift.
We love the underdog at the Saints but not many make it through the soec pick stage.

For every Sincs Roma Fisher, success story there are at least another 40 players we hoped would make it who don't sadly.

Play the odds in 2024 and take Stock at the end of the year and cut hard if necessary.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back