List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing Owens and Pou in the middle on the weekend makes me feel slightly more comfortable with the midfield going forward. It might not need a complete lobotomy but obviously anything we can do to improve it we should.

Also for all the concern with North's draft concessions, it's the Gold Coast that are going to come quickly. Brown on On The Couch last night said they have 6 academy kids in the u16 all Australian team. They'll just keep getting fed elite talent until they're competing.

Like everything there is a bit more nuance. Their cast offs are going to be better than a lot of players available after the second round and if you can buy semi developed talent on the cheap you are aead. Brodie, Wright and Scrimshaw cost FA and all would be pretty handy in a finals side.

GC are much less hard to deal with than GWS who always get overs for cast offs. GC seem to waste talent like no other club. They paid Geelong to take one of their developing players with high FRDP. They are like a drunk at the pub whose just won a trifecta.
Gringo we’re like the guy who takes his pay to crown, the house always wins. Where are the A grade mids we need going to come from? the key defender and so on. The only good news on the horizon for us is that when collingwood, richmond, Geelong etc find themselves falling behind the afl‘s rigged game will need to end.

Personally I can’t wait for the day and despite collingwoods ladder position and recent luck with father sons it’s closer than some think. I‘m not happy making up the numbers which is different Imo to having a fair chance and just not being good enough, a level playing field is a must.

Now I’m reading how Hardwick may be getting a million of afl cash and GC have up to six potential academy picks who starred at the u/16’s carnival, this simply can’t be allowed to continue. Just imagine this crap with Tassie added into the equation, it’s a nightmare. Never before has a 12 win season seemed so pointless and frankly I can’t see how we make any progress playing by the current rules. We’re getting gapped talent wise by clubs receiving freebies and we have north who’ve just received a handout backing up for another with the begging bowl out, seriously what a way to run a competition.

Reading between the lines, and adding 1 + 1 to make 3, I think Tom Morris latest batch of information has come from someone at the Gold Coast.

So when he says that the word is the Saints have been telling other clubs we want to hit the draft, what he really means is that is what we have said to the Gold Coast.

And when he points out that there are a plethora of well paid St Kilda players that are uncontracted (Gresham, Clark, Jones, McKenzie) and a couple that are gettable (Billings, Membrey) he has also learned this from his Gold Coast contact.

Now in my big brain that all translates in to we are wheeling and dealing on the GC and are ready to clear out some salary cap space to land a big fish.

Hopefully we are going hard at Flanders, or Bing, or both, and more interested in trading players than picks.

271b11e09d62c84d223a08b1b2fcd7d7.jpg

Last edited:

According to his manager a while ago he’s playing his ideal role of forward-mid so not sure he’d be going for more opportunity. My concern if he goes is Ross rarely plays anyone under 27 years old in the midfield and without Gresh’s minutes in there as a point of difference it’s more of the boring players.
He's been playing Owens, Pou and Windy in there at different times this year.

Gresham cannot kick, having him in the team is a minus.

I watched for him - really liked his hands in traffic/general play and can stay involved in chains longer because he can move. Kicking was fine. He’s best 22 for us immediately if he comes IMO and I hope he does.
Blues would offer him two years at best with no guarantees of playing in the middle each week.
Saints would offer 3-4 years with almost walk up start to the midfield and probably 50-100k more than blues.

What would u take..?

Blues would offer him two years at best with no guarantees of playing in the middle each week.
Saints would offer 3-4 years with almost walk up start to the midfield and probably 50-100k more than blues.

What would u take..?
I hope we aren't offering Dow 4 years.

His past few weeks have been very good but he wasn't making Carlton's best 22 before that because his kicking is atrocious. He would improve our midfield depth and be a good chance for a starting spot but that doesn't mean we need to be handing out reckless contracts to any depth midfielder who has a few good weeks. 2 years is more than enough for a player like Dow. 4 years would irresponsible.

Gringo we’re like the guy who takes his pay to crown, the house always wins. Where are the A grade mids we need going to come from? the key defender and so on. The only good news on the horizon for us is that when collingwood, richmond, Geelong etc find themselves falling behind the afl‘s rigged game will need to end.

Personally I can’t wait for the day and despite collingwoods ladder position and recent luck with father sons it’s closer than some think. I‘m not happy making up the numbers which is different Imo to having a fair chance and just not being good enough, a level playing field is a must.

Now I’m reading how Hardwick may be getting a million of afl cash and GC have up to six potential academy picks who starred at the u/16’s carnival, this simply can’t be allowed to continue. Just imagine this crap with Tassie added into the equation, it’s a nightmare. Never before has a 12 win season seemed so pointless and frankly I can’t see how we make any progress playing by the current rules. We’re getting gapped talent wise by clubs receiving freebies and we have north who’ve just received a handout backing up for another with the begging bowl out, seriously what a way to run a competition.
They have to fix the academy system. You should have to match first round bids with first round picks. I think the afl will end up fixing it if this crap continues because no one will be able to compete

He's been playing Owens, Pou and Windy in there at different times this year.

Gresham cannot kick, having him in the team is a minus.
He can’t kick but he can win the ball and clear it with a bit of toe unlike most of our mainstays in there. Steele and Crouch have rarely hit targets this year either but they’re not OOC like Gresh is.

The inequities are laughable - whilst not actually being very funny the way it affects us.
So much for equalisation.

This is just an absurd situation the afl is an absolute joke. We get to pick over the players GC don’t want and pay overs to provide them with even more draft capital to use as they choose. While they keep the cream of the crop and usher in an ever increasing haul of academy players we get to decide how we‘ll use our solitary first round pick.

Anyone who thinks we’re heading for a flag challenge with GC cast offs is delusional Imo. We need a new strategy and playing nice isn’t going to work, if we need to shake up the afl so be it. Imo our board needs a dose of reality, despite making the right noises all they have really done is rolled over and consigned us to a permanent role just making up the numbers.

If this offseason goes the way I think it will we’ll struggle to match what we’ve achieved this year and then what ? Another lower mid first round pick. I’m sure that will really move the needle compared to GC etc and their conga line of academy freebies, maybe we can give them two firsts for Ben king if they decide he’s surplus to requirements.

Unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat and find some backbone individually or collectively with other clubs I think maybe one more season will see me turning off the afl altogether and just watching local footy.
What makes you think we’d be paying overs for him?

Seeing Owens and Pou in the middle on the weekend makes me feel slightly more comfortable with the midfield going forward. It might not need a complete lobotomy but obviously anything we can do to improve it we should.

Also for all the concern with North's draft concessions, it's the Gold Coast that are going to come quickly. Brown on On The Couch last night said they have 6 academy kids in the u16 all Australian team. They'll just keep getting fed elite talent until they're competing.
The planets will finally align for GC next season.
Top line academy kids plus Hardwick as coach.
They’re seconds are killing it, so depth is already there!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given we're looking to be aggressive this trade period, it wouldn't surprise me if we look to pry an established player out of Richmond. They're in serious need of draft capital for their rebuild. Surely you'd ask the question of a few of their players.

Jack Graham is OOC

He was off his tucker on Sunday but is a tough goal kicking mid.

Big finals experience & has performed well during them.

Well worth a shot IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have to fix the academy system. You should have to match first round bids with first round picks. I think the afl will end up fixing it if this crap continues because no one will be able to compete
It goes beyond that imo there should be zero concessions. Not to mention you’re saying to kids in NSW and QLD well if the club wants you then you can stay home. How’s that sit with Harley Reid who from reports isn’t happy with the idea of moving to WA.

I’m sorry but everywhere you look in the afl there are special deals and policy on the fly. Free agent compensation, rules around taking first round picks, salary cap dumps, paying part of a players salary at another club, academy rules, afl handouts, ambassador payments and on and on it goes. We don’t even have a draw, we have a fixture where some clubs are gifted massive drawing games and others dead zone money pits.

Anyway I’m over it and I’m done talking about it, I’m sure it brings people down so I’ll mark this down as rant day and move on.

Given we're looking to be aggressive this trade period, it wouldn't surprise me if we look to pry an established player out of Richmond. They're in serious need of draft capital for their rebuild. Surely you'd ask the question of a few of their players.

I kind of thought that we were in serious need of some draft capital for our .....call it a rebuild, i call it just list integrity.

But nah lets keep topping up for another decade.

I noticed that this guy got a game with the Zebra's against Collingwood.

He only had 8 touches and i'm not sure where he played, maybe forward he kicked a behind.
Might have to watch the game again with a focus on him.

Sandringham Dragons​

Harvey Johnston
Midfielder
184cm, 76kg

Maybe the kid with the best step in the league, Harvey Johnston’s ability to zig-zag through traffic is eye-catching. His speed, cleanliness, and agility make him a catalyst in transition and dangerous in space.

Not only does Johnston have arguably the best-left foot at the Dragons, but he’s also more than handy on his right shoe. Johnston thrives off rhythm and once he starts going, he becomes a difficult target to chase down.

The other likeable aspect of Johnston is his versatility. A half-forward who hits the scoreboard, his ability to find space makes him a handy inside midfielder and he also has traits to play on the wing.

Also noteworthy is his leadership as a gluey character who would slot seamlessly into any team. His growth would be at times taking the easier option when it presents, for he can be guilty of occasionally doing too much, which can bring him undone, but all the ingredients are there.

After limited Talent League exposure last year, he’s settled well in 2023, averaging 18 touches from six games.------

I hope we aren't offering Dow 4 years.

His past few weeks have been very good but he wasn't making Carlton's best 22 before that because his kicking is atrocious. He would improve our midfield depth and be a good chance for a starting spot but that doesn't mean we need to be handing out reckless contracts to any depth midfielder who has a few good weeks. 2 years is more than enough for a player like Dow. 4 years would irresponsible.

23’ Dow is ‘21 Dunstan

Paaaaaassssss

Gresham’s short comings aside, he’s a selfish player!

I think King and Higgins both suffer the same weakness. But, somebody has to kick them right?

Gresham’s first and second goals were perfectly suited to him. His first using his acceleration to stream in to goal and poke it through, and the second a 40m right foot snap across his body.

The second in particular is one he has done often enough that we should acknowledge it’s a genuine weapon and more class than ass.

Gresham is undoubtedly out of sync playing under the Lyon game plan. But if Ross can find a role for him that works he is an enormous asset.

I actually really liked his role on the weekend. Starting forward and rolling straight up in to the midfield. Laid a few tackles, won a couple of his own balls and pushed hard forward on transition. Just needs to be better with his passing by foot or at the very least recognise his limitations in that regard.

I kind of thought that we were in serious need of some draft capital for our .....call it a rebuild, i call it just list integrity.

But nah let’s keep topping up for another decade.
If we are going to “top up” we need to do so with Dempsters, Schneiders or Membreys and not with Hanneberys, Freemans or Gambles.

Jack Graham is OOC

He was off his tucker on Sunday but is a tough goal kicking mid.

Big finals experience & has performed well during them.

Well worth a shot IMO.

Actually if I’m poaching anyone 25+ from Richmond its Jayden Short

Those kicking skills beside Nas & Sincs…

giphy.gif

I think King and Higgins both suffer the same weakness. But, somebody has to kick them right?

Gresham’s first and second goals were perfectly suited to him. His first using his acceleration to stream in to goal and poke it through, and the second a 40m right foot snap across his body.

The second in particular is one he has done often enough that we should acknowledge it’s a genuine weapon and more class than ass.

Gresham is undoubtedly out of sync playing under the Lyon game plan. But if Ross can find a role for him that works he is an enormous asset.

I actually really liked his role on the weekend. Starting forward and rolling straight up in to the midfield. Laid a few tackles, won a couple of his own balls and pushed hard forward on transition. Just needs to be better with his passing by foot or at the very least recognise his limitations in that regard.

Great post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back