Memories of Sweet 16

Remove this Banner Ad

For me , it was a nervy week from the moment the siren of the prelim went until half an hour after the match. So much so my partner said she was going to stay clear of me all week and did so!

I went with my father and friend to the both finals, and I spent the whole week listening to every radio show I could in anticipation. Couldn't think of anything else, and couldn't concentrate at all. I replayed every possible way we could win and lose and gameplan and tactic in my mind.

I went to see the boys train on the Thursday, and the highlight is a great photo holding the 1990 premiership cup. I didnt realise it was a replica at the time so it was every bit as good as the real thing for me.

I couldnt sleep properly the night before the GF, as I was too excited. GF day was marked by (unsuccessfully) trying to get restricted MCC tickets from 8am - midday, which was a nightmare due to ticketek stuffing up. By that time my adrenalin was all used up so I could just settle into the day.

After a lunch at a cafe went to AIA to watch the game with Father and Partner, but decided it was too hot and opted to go undercover instead at a nearby pub on Swan st. Went with my father and partner. I was just so relieved to sit down finally and for the moment to have arrived that I was ready for all scenarios.

As I lined up to get a beer Kiss started playing and dressed in their black and white, they felt like some ancient footballing guides coming from the heavens to bestow their proclamation of our fate upon us all. We would then wait to see what that was.

The whole match was on tenterhooks, I never thought we had them, until finally we did. Even then I couldnt believe it. I thought maybe we had let too many chances slide (ala melbourne) and it would come back to bite us. I had shuddders of 2018 and 2002. But after sidey goaled I knew we could hang on.

After the match I went to a friends BBQ in the grounds of the MCG and had some champagnes. I then met a mate at the Cricketers Arms on Punt Rd and watched the whole replay again along with hundred other rowdy fans. Even then, watching it a second time, I couldnt really be sure that we would again be triumphant. (It was only on third viewing the next day that I could really sit back and enjoy watching the victory in full comfort). The guys at the pub had many great chants while we watched the replay (Mihocek Mihocek Brody Mihocek to the tune of Give it Up; Oh Jordan De Goey to the tune of 7 nation army).

Went home throughly satisfied, totally spent after nervous days, and many beers. Had a souva at Vic Park before to pay my respect to the footballing gods, before calling it a night with a big smile on my face. Fell asleep with my computer open as I was trying to read about the game and watch more highlights.

Number 16 was just as sweet as it could have been. Go Pies!

First grand final Eve I did the MCG tour after watching the captains run. Went in our rooms, sat on the bench, saw our race all set up and imagined what Darcy’s smile would look like walking up the next day!

Grand final day I did March to the G with the cheer squad and Lica. Love doing that but this one was epic on a much longer route.

Took my amazing seat in the AFL members at ground level and thankfully in the shade!

Then watched my beloved pies bring home sweet 16! Extra sweet to see a win against Brisbane after sitting through 2002 and 2003 (and 2010 draw, 2011, 2018).

Love this current group. My fave Collingwood list to date.

Anyone else feel this one was more special than 2010? I felt this one was more special because this Collingwood is now more special.

No luck getting tickets, so settled up at Cricketers' Arms with my brother, dad, mate and his missus all with the intention to be as close to the G incase of a boil over.

Watching most of the game was as eventful as a normal match until the last Q when Cameron kicked the one to get them ahead. I just said nothing and headed to the toilets for a "nervous break", which upon entering the stall I hear a loud, echoed "well you wouldn't f*n read about it!". Nothing truer could have been said in the moment, until returning to the pub area where I watch right as De Goey arches his back for the equaliser, straight back to going ballistic.

Had two Bombers guys sitting ahead of us watching, sympathetic to our cause somewhat as they had such a distain for Daniher's leaving + 2001. Enjoyed every minute of Brissy's downfall as the time ticked down, with one of them claiming "you've done it!" just as Daniher snaps the late one (bastards!).

I think my mind only realised we'd won it once we'd gone for the long kick up the wing with ~10 seconds to go, just going crazy as the siren went before realising we had to get to the ground. Running like a headless chook out of Cricketers' and disturbing any neutral patron, we travelled at warp speed to the G only to find security wouldn't let anyone in. Simply kept walking around until I found a side door unattended, picked up speed and ran past the security blockade (for legal reasons, this is what I wish I'd done but totally didn't get to do).

Got to watch the whole thing, an absolute dream come true as I was a young lad back in 2010 and can barely remember a thing. The air felt electric, the scene was amazing. I had a few film photos getting developed that I can hopefully share on here as soon as they are. Never sung the song louder - and lost my voice so quickly.

Met up with mates outside and just talked the game for what felt like an hour before heading to Swan St to capture and take part in the antics. Had a brilliant meal at Farro Pizzeria where at some point Cox's dad and brother came running past, giving me a high-five on the way. Shortly after realised that the club was the only place left to go so headed over to AIA and the rest of the night is a bit of a blur :)

And of course can't forget the part this board and all you posters have played in my memory of this sweet 16, so many laughs, too many p*sstakes, and plenty of disagreements. It feels as though the journey itself, going to games by myself some weeks, replacement buses home + long nights, the close ones, the (few) losses, were more cumulatively elative than winning the whole thing in the end. Someone make sense of that for me haha.

Floreat Pica. Onto 17.

Ended up watching in motel room Glen Innes country NSW. Was like a ghost town unfortunately (rugby league country) 4 people at the pub with a decent screen. Decided I’d rather get onto BigFooty with fellow barrackers and check in with my 86 year old magpie mum via FaceTime each quarter than go to the pub.
Sat in a Park prior to the game getting progressively more and more nervous when at about 1:55pm four magpies surrounded me, literally just a couple of feet away, and just started warbling. They just kept singing for about 5 minutes and I just had a massive smile on my face before I thought I’d better check in to my room and get ready for the game. Was there at the G for 2018 heartbreak and couldn’t make it this year. My uncle (did the last review of the Collingwood board under Eddie) was sending me pics from the ground. Loved every minute of the day and everyone here contributed immensely to the enjoyment. 😀

I probably had one of the most busiest weeks and weekends of my life. Wanted to savour this entire grand final week.

I had popped down to the Pies Shop on Monday to get some merch

Went to open training on Thursday which was chockers and it just felt for a lack of a better word, exciting? It was a beautiful day the city was bustling, it felt good.

Attended the parade on Friday and was lucky enough to get up close to the players and get a good view on them.

But I watched the game from home on Saturday and I think I went through hell and back in terms of emotions for the whole time. The amount of tension throughout the game I think legitimately had an effect on my body, I legit felt like crying from that tension come three quarter time as I had this thought on the back of my mind that we were gonna somehow choke it.

But those final 5-6 minutes were torture, the despair when Cameron kicked that goal, I thought that was the moment it was gone. But when Jordy kicked that phenomenal goal, I did the slow raise from the couch and then I was jumping around my living room knowing that we were still in it, then when Sidey kicked that pearler I gained some sort of confidence that we could ice it.

Then Daniher kicked that goal with 90 seconds to go, I thought “not again”, we can’t lose another grand final in the last minute, I would have been inconsolable had the Lions pinched it. I can remember vividly still when Sheed kicked that goal, I couldn’t go through that again.

But then the advantage call and Titch copping one high, I finally started to realise we finally won and when WHE the clutch artist got the ball, I started shouting in my living room “They got it, they won! They won!”

Then the siren went and I raised both my arms in the air and let out the most loudest almighty roar I will probably ever do “YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”, it was the biggest release of tension ever for me. I was exhausted, emotional, drenched in sweat. I was shaking and buzzing when I texted my Dad in celebration. I couldn’t believe they did it!

Then seeing the presentations, Bobby getting the Normie and everyone getting their medals, Darcy and Fly’s speech and the moment when Peter handed Darcy the cup which will become an iconic image and the raise and the celebration is a moment every fan will remember.

Then for the rest of the night and into Sunday, I felt like I was floating on air, really happy and I had a smile on my face for the whole tome. It’s a rare and fantastic feeling seeing your team win the premiership and sharing the experience with everyone.

I think this tops 2010 for me. I was too young to truly understand and enjoy it fully, this one feels so much more special as we’ve all gone through this great journey since Fly came in and the past two years have been the most fun I’ve ever had in my time as a fan of this great club.

And this board became a really special place in this week, as a place to celebrate and share these moments.

Many have said this is one of the best days of their lives, this is definitely up there, not just for seeing them win a flag, but sharing the experience with other fans and the excitement that comes with it.

Let’s hope it’s one of many many more. Can’t wait to frame and hang my premiership poster so everytime I look at it I can be reminded of what a great day it was and the memories that happened.

Let’s do it again next year! Make It Seventeen.

I went and watched it with my brother, sister, and niece. First time we'd all managed to watch together since the 2010 GF, funnily enough. Omen, perhaps?

We didn't have tickets, so our plan was to go to one of the live sites. Meet in the city at the Cricketer's Bar for some beers, before making our way down to Grand Slam Oval. We arranged it all the day before. We'd all realised that depending on how the game panned out, we would be either the best or worst company you could have on Sat, so we thought we'd surround ourselves with other Collingwood people.

The crowd there was overwhelmingly Collingwood (I thing it may have been arranged by the club, but there were some Lions fans), and the family atmosphere was good. I was glad we didn't have the opportunity to keep drinking, and that the prices of bottles of water weren't too exorbitant - sitting in the 30-degree sun after a couple of beers for several hours, could've ended up being a bad time. When we won, I'd never hugged and high-fived so many strangers before. The atmosphere was amazing!

Afterwards we made our way through the crowd exiting the 'G, to get to Jolimont Station, so we could then go on to the Retreat in Abbotsford, just down the road from Victoria Park, where we met up with some of my bro's mates who I hadn't seen since I was little.
The place was going off, every conversation interrupted multiple times by passers-by and cars beeping horns and passengers screaming "Go Pies!" every two seconds. Fantastic stuff.

No luck getting tickets, so settled up at Cricketers' Arms with my brother, dad, mate and his missus all with the intention to be as close to the G incase of a boil over.

Watching most of the game was as eventful as a normal match until the last Q when Cameron kicked the one to get them ahead. I just said nothing and headed to the toilets for a "nervous break", which upon entering the stall I hear a loud, echoed "well you wouldn't f*n read about it!". Nothing truer could have been said in the moment, until returning to the pub area where I watch right as De Goey arches his back for the equaliser, straight back to going ballistic.

Had two Bombers guys sitting ahead of us watching, sympathetic to our cause somewhat as they had such a distain for Daniher's leaving + 2001. Enjoyed every minute of Brissy's downfall as the time ticked down, with one of them claiming "you've done it!" just as Daniher snaps the late one (bastards!).

I think my mind only realised we'd won it once we'd gone for the long kick up the wing with ~10 seconds to go, just going crazy as the siren went before realising we had to get to the ground. Running like a headless chook out of Cricketers' and disturbing any neutral patron, we travelled at warp speed to the G only to find security wouldn't let anyone in. Simply kept walking around until I found a side door unattended, picked up speed and ran past the security blockade (for legal reasons, this is what I wish I'd done but totally didn't get to do).

Got to watch the whole thing, an absolute dream come true as I was a young lad back in 2010 and can barely remember a thing. The air felt electric, the scene was amazing. I had a few film photos getting developed that I can hopefully share on here as soon as they are. Never sung the song louder - and lost my voice so quickly.

Met up with mates outside and just talked the game for what felt like an hour before heading to Swan St to capture and take part in the antics. Had a brilliant meal at Farro Pizzeria where at some point Cox's dad and brother came running past, giving me a high-five on the way. Shortly after realised that the club was the only place left to go so headed over to AIA and the rest of the night is a bit of a blur :)

And of course can't forget the part this board and all you posters have played in my memory of this sweet 16, so many laughs, too many p*sstakes, and plenty of disagreements. It feels as though the journey itself, going to games by myself some weeks, replacement buses home + long nights, the close ones, the (few) losses, were more cumulatively elative than winning the whole thing in the end. Someone make sense of that for me haha.

Floreat Pica. Onto 17.
As the 'brother' in this story, can confirm its authenticity. The feverdream feeling still hasn't worn off yet.

Here's a few of those aforementioned film pictures of us after we (allegedly) jumped the turnstiles into the 'G. Sure I took plenty of pictures/videos on my phone but I feel like these shots do a much better job at capturing the pure emotion and spirit of the moment.

My story is pretty much the same as my brother's before but yeah if you were at the Cricketers Arms and heard that young bloke screaming his guts out all day, that was myself. Floreat Pica.
C000994-R1-22-27A.JPG C000994-R1-20-25A.JPG C000994-R1-15-20A.JPG C000994-R1-13-18A.JPG
View attachment 1820792

Last edited:
On Grand final eve I ate a lovely seafood pasta.
On grand final morning I was up at about 5am absolutely painting the porcelain.
It went on till about 8.30am. Wifey was the same. I was in the bathroom. She was in the ensuite and we made about 20 trips back and forth from bed to the toilets. It would've been funny if it wasnt so unpleasant.

Fair to say the day only got better after that. I was exhausted and a bit queazy all through the game which made me less agitated than normal. I didn't have the energy to get too involved and just passively lay there watching it all unfold.

I will always cherish the memory of Peter Moore handing the cup to his son and also Daics hugging his sons after the game. I was already crying but that just brought on a flood. It was the most beautiful and poignant moment for me.

Sidebottoms long bomb goal was the best memory from the game itself. It was so unexpected and was the moment that won it for us.

Here's a few of those aforementioned film pictures of us after we (allegedly) jumped the turnstiles into the 'G. Sure I took plenty of pictures/videos on my phone but I feel like these shots do a much better job at capturing the pure emotion and spirit of the moment.

My story is pretty much the same as my brother's before but yeah if you were at the Cricketers Arms and heard that young bloke screaming his guts out all day, that was myself. Floreat Pica.
View attachment 1820758 View attachment 1820759View attachment 1820760 View attachment 1820761
View attachment 1820792
Great Pics!

A picture tells a thousand words. Been to every GF we’ve made since and including 1990. Nothing came close to this for me. Sharing it with my boy and thinking about how different it was for me at his age crying through all those losses. What a great time to be a Collingwood supporter.

View attachment 1820402
Now that's a snap to cherish!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a brand new accessory for my car today. Even my Bomber-supporting wife (photographer) reckons the Magpie premiership emblem on the bonnet looks pretty good!
Maybe block out your rego mate?

On Grand final eve I ate a lovely seafood pasta.
On grand final morning I was up at about 5am absolutely painting the porcelain.

Sorry you went through that mate but "painting the porcelain" is fn hilarious. First time I've heard the phrase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back