[Meta] Match Length and the Gameday Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

I've told the match posters generally I want them started around six but with a finish no later than 8pm and what they do in between is their choice.

So in short Marlowe, you may get your wish every now and again.
Cool, no point checking the scores until 8pm then. That way I'll deny the pants down match posting brigade the cheap thrill of keeping everybody in suspenders.

I prefer a short, compact posting of the game results from both a time perspective and an archive perspective.

Timewise, I think it's too much to expect people to wait around for a long period of time for match results if they are keen enough to do so. A smaller window is reasonable for those waiting for the results, I think.

From an archive perspective, and for those that delve in to the statistical side of things, having to wade through a few pages each week to get the information you need can be a bit of a chore. It was a lot easier when the start of the match and the results were on one page or, at worst, at least one page click away. I know it's not much for one game, but over the course of a season it gets annoying.

From a Newbie perspective, I quite enjoyed the drama of a close game being drawn-out a little and giving the posters following a chance to react.

However if its a blow out getting it over and done with might be best (and if it's like the Wonder's game last week its over at quarter time anyway).

We had a game at 4.20pm last week, I call shenanigans.

Which is why I said generally.

I'm not fussed when the games start (obviously it's got to be Sunday). The non-negotiable is the 8pm finish.

I am not sure when the trend developed. I think it began with Logger and it presumably had something to do with his notoriously slow Internet speed and his flair for the dramatic. But we have all been there. We all know the agony of waiting a half 'n' hour for the simmer/or whoever to post the final few lines of commentary in a close game. RU_ has more recently taken delaying posting of the game to new, painfully dizzying height, almost transforming the banal act into an art style.

But how horrible is this experience, really? I personally think the longer the games are drawn out, the more engaging and entertaining the threads have the potential to become as people have the chance to react to new information as it comes across live instead of being robots trained to search for scores. The games themselves are the only tangible result in this league, yet their treated almost like an after-thought. The gameday experience could be improves, it could be something that we savour, instead of having scores spat out so dispassionately over a twenty-minute period late on a random Sunday.

I think games should be, at least, two hours long. That's how long they should take to be posted. Pump some excitement back into the day. But that's me. I enjoy longer games. What about you?

The short and sweet of it all;
Should games have a mandatory, set length? Or should they be at the discretion of the player responsible for posting them?
How long should posting of the game take from the introduction of the line-ups to the final match-up stats none of us originally understood as rookies? Longer games or not?

One question, perhaps more meta...

How long should Royal Rumbles go for?

I prefer a short, compact posting of the game results from both a time perspective and an archive perspective.

Timewise, I think it's too much to expect people to wait around for a long period of time for match results if they are keen enough to do so. A smaller window is reasonable for those waiting for the results, I think.

From an archive perspective, and for those that delve in to the statistical side of things, having to wade through a few pages each week to get the information you need can be a bit of a chore. It was a lot easier when the start of the match and the results were on one page or, at worst, at least one page click away. I know it's not much for one game, but over the course of a season it gets annoying.
Are you doing your team of the week/season again? I deliberately increased my output to cover your basic requirements.

One question, perhaps more meta...

How long should Royal Rumbles go for?

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drag it out a little, but not too much... it's not about giving the simmer attention

I'd prefer to not even post the game. Just post the stats and the result. :thumbsu:
I think that's fair. We could announce the scores and winners in a quick 3 minute grab at the end of a weekly 90 minute podcast.

I think that's fair. We could announce the scores and winners in a quick 3 minute grab at the end of a weekly 90 minute podcast.

A 90 minute weekly podcast with one debutant from each club each week.

Love it :thumbsu:

It could be daily with readings from match threads.
For posters who are always on the go, an hourly podcast would be greatly appreciated to keep us up to date with the goings-on in this league. Cheers

For posters who are always on the go, an hourly podcast would be greatly appreciated to keep us up to date with the goings-on in this league. Cheers

I'm thinking of wiring my brain up to Twitter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back