Michael Clarke vs the World

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel Roy has been vindicated there. The list of blokes to run one through Bingle is long, and not particularly distinguished.

To put it bluntly.

Roy was enjoying a night with Bingle in Sydney. He had a teammate enjoying the show and tagging in.

Roy invited Clarke to join the party, and there were 3 guys essentially going through her at once. (apologies for being so crude, I'm nearly 60 this sort of thing wasn't common in my day!)

Then a few weeks later, Clarke is suddenly dating her. Roy thought this a bit odd, but said nothing.

Then they got engaged, Roy rang him (while in the presence of the full QLD Bulls squad) and asked him what on earth he was thinking marrying a girl he met under 'those circumstances'.

Roy's career was over within 6 months, and his off-field behaviour hadn't changed one bit...

I feel Roy has been vindicated there. The list of blokes to run one through Bingle is long, and not particularly distinguished.

To put it bluntly.

Roy was enjoying a night with Bingle in Sydney. He had a teammate enjoying the show and tagging in.

Roy invited Clarke to join the party, and there were 3 guys essentially going through her at once. (apologies for being so crude, I'm nearly 60 this sort of thing wasn't common in my day!)

Then a few weeks later, Clarke is suddenly dating her. Roy thought this a bit odd, but said nothing.

Then they got engaged, Roy rang him (while in the presence of the full QLD Bulls squad) and asked him what on earth he was thinking marrying a girl he met under 'those circumstances'.

Roy's career was over within 6 months, and his off-field behaviour hadn't changed one bit...

i knew there was something fishy about her (bingle)

To put it bluntly.

It takes a special kind of ******* to want to marry a bird like that. Add to that David Warner and his missus where pretty much every pro sportsman in Australia has been up her.

To put it bluntly.

It takes a special kind of ******* to want to marry a bird like that. Add to that David Warner and his missus where pretty much every pro sportsman in Australia has been up her.
Yes, how could Clarke and Warner fall in love with a woman with previous sexual partners :0 ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I think that Clarke is a better captain than Smith at the moment, and one of our best 6 batsmen at the moment I do agree with western royboy that he may not be the best thing for the team.
There has been lots of talk about the big incidents with Symonds, Katich etc, but it's also the little things. Below is an example of what I'm talking about from the 2nd test over in the UAE. I don't have a complaint with the message Clarke gave to Smith, but the way it was delivered speaks volumes of his leadership skills/character. In my book if you want to get the best out of a cricketer, don't tell them off in front of their opposition and fans.

i think posters should lay off western royboy

he has provided his opinion like everyone else, and a valuable insight into the rumblings of the machine men. whether you think it is or isnt true or not is upto you the reader.
I'm not saying it's not true.

I'm questioning if it's damning enough to support the conclusion that Clarke should be thrown overboard.

WesternRoyBoy is not suggesting Clarke will be axed, or that the ACB don't want him in the team.

He is suggesting that Clarke returns, the ACB (and perhaps a majority of the players) would prefer it if it were as a batsman only, and Smith would remain captain.

The conclusion is that Clarke would find that situation unacceptable, and fall on his sword rather than play under Smith.
Same outcome, no?

This is entirely different to the ECB and KP, where he was removed completely despite maintain obvious grounds for selection as a batsman. KP lasted about 6 months as Captain, and moving him on from the role was one of the few smart things the ECB did in that era.
No one is suggesting that it's exactly the same as what went down between England and KP. Of course the details – and hopefully the eventual result – are different.

However, there is a broad similarity when you look at the situation – a senior player falling out with management – and the leaks and spin and wishy-washy reasons that followed.

I don't personally rate Clarke as an individual, I also don't like Watson as an individual. I had a lot to do with them as teenagers, as a coach and administrator - and while many talented juniors can be egotistical, these 2 in particular were just terrible human beings.
Why?

Terrible human beings? What did they do?

Ordinarily, in every day life, if you heard someone refer to another person like that, you'd expect them to offer something pretty telling by way of illustration, wouldn't you?

To put it bluntly.

On one hand, Symonds and Clarke fell out. And then bang, his career was over. So the first must have driven the second. Right?

But you minimise Symonds' role in his own demise. This includes:

– missing a team meeting to go fishing
– an 'incident' in a Brisbane pub with another patron
– a bizarre interview with Roy & HG in which he sounded drunk and referred to Brendon McCullum as "a lump of s**t"
– breaching the terms of a modified contract that included tighter restrictions on his drinking
– getting sent home from the T20 World Cup after drinking

He basically had a meltdown and didn't want to play any more. To say it was wholly and solely because of the Clarke-Bingle situation requires you to omit those other factors.

Last edited:
While I think that Clarke is a better captain than Smith at the moment, and one of our best 6 batsmen at the moment I do agree with western royboy that he may not be the best thing for the team.
There has been lots of talk about the big incidents with Symonds, Katich etc, but it's also the little things. Below is an example of what I'm talking about from the 2nd test over in the UAE. I don't have a complaint with the message Clarke gave to Smith, but the way it was delivered speaks volumes of his leadership skills/character. In my book if you want to get the best out of a cricketer, don't tell them off in front of their opposition and fans.

Yet another example of clarke the grandstanding tosser

In my book if you want to get the best out of a cricketer, don't tell them off in front of their opposition and fans.
Yet another example of clarke the grandstanding tosser

So by your book this guy is a grandstanding tosser as well?

The Clarke hatred is laughable.

Like when Ponting chucked a sad at Smith when they both went for the high catch against Canada?

They are different scenarios IMO
Ponting was annoyed that Smith didn't listen to Pontings call
Border was establishing who was in charge after McDermott demanded to change ends

I don't hate Clarke, but I'm not sure if he's the best option long term for our team. I think team harmony/unity is a vital ingredient to establishing successful teams and I don't think Clarke helps this. I can well understand why people think otherwise though

If Clarke did that to Johnson I think the world would just spontaneously combust.

I don't know why people who have never met Clarke hate him. If you've had a bit to do with him like some on here have, then fair enough, but otherwise I just don't see it. Must of the people who say they hate him probably loved him 24 months ago.

That was a tour match and McDermott was being a smart arse, there's every chance Border didn't even know the camera was on him. Plus no one else (other players, opponents, umpire) were anywhere around, big difference.
Splitting hairs. What is good for the goose should be good for the gander.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back