Certified Legendary Thread 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 48 The Final India v Australia 19/11 1900hrs @ Narendra Modi Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

It was 5 overthrows. They ran one AFTER the ball was thrown which should never have counted. They didn't even make it to a super-over without the umpires cheating.

They ran 1 completed run off the bat, and when in the process of completing the second run, the throw at the stumps hit Stokes bat and then ricocheted to the fence. The issue was, Stokes and Rashid had yet to cross for the second run when the throw was released.

The rule:

19.8 Overthrow or wilful act of fielder

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be

any runs for penalties awarded to either side

and the allowance for the boundary

and the runs completed by the batters, together with the run in progress if they had

already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.

The issue was that when Gutpills throw was released, while Stokes and Rashid had started on the second run, they had yet to cross each other, so the 'run in progress' should not have counted.

Boundaries Law | MCC

Again their bowling attacks haven’t been. It’s really not very difficult.

Unless you count Srinath you who was gone by the end of the decade, Their three best bowlers from 1995-2010 were Harbhajan, Zaheer and Kumble. Kumble was a champion. Harbhajan was a champion when absolutely everything was in his favour but nothing more, and Zaheer was nothing more than a good honest left armer.

The fact is that in the last decade they have addressed that and started to produce attacks that whether you would consider them to be filled with champions or not, they play and function as good attacks should and it’s allowed them to start competing and winning in countries they didn’t previously.

They’re unbeaten in their last four series in Australia and England and blew it in SA when Rabada and Jansen f***ed them.
Zaheer's last 3-4 years were the equal of an awful lot of quality bowlers to be called a good honest left armer. A fair bit sharper too than most lefties.

Is anyone aware of where you might find a replay of the game? Thanks
If you've got an AFL club membership, some clubs (dunno if Hawthorn's one of them) provide free Kayo to go with your membership. There's full match replays on there.

If you're outside Australia, might need a VPN to get it to work.

Zaheer's last 3-4 years were the equal of an awful lot of quality bowlers to be called a good honest left armer. A fair bit sharper too than most lefties.

His best was very good, totally agree - he developed really good control and swung it both ways and conventional and reverse as well. And he got a good few years out of it. As a career appraisal though I couldn’t rate him better than ‘decent’

Yeah a real rags to riches underdog story with plucky Australia winning another World Cup, a country that had already won five of them.

Even though I enjoyed seeing Australia lose their first 2 games against India and South Africa I never wrote them off, only a fool would.

Australia have started badly in World Cups before like 1999 but they usually they get their act together and feature at the pointy end.

The 1992 World Cup was one exception where they started badly and didn't even make the semi finals, they usually make a semi at least.

It's not that dumb, I was referring to Gill and Rohit throwing their wickets away to not great balls, that was more dumb batting from them.

Cummins bowled a couple of great balls to dismiss Shreyas Iyer and Kohli which also helped to take the heat off the rest of your bowlers.

I don't think the rest of your bowlers bowled that well tbh, they benefitted from India throwing away two wickets and Cummins two wickets.

India lost too many wickets to take on your lesser bowlers like Maxwell, Head, Marsh and Starc and give them the treatment they deserved.

Mate please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Indian batsmen score just 5 boundaries after the 10th over of the innings? If that's true, then I reckon the Aussie bowlers deserve a bit more credit than you're prepared to give them. And Cummins' tactic to give the bowlers 1 over spells was a masterstroke. It gave the batsmen no chance to get used to the bowling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised that Rohit didn't come out and say the the final should have been been best out of of 3 games :):)

To be fair rohit handled loss about as well as he could have, he praised his team for their overall efforts in wc expressed his disappointment in the final and gave credit to opposition he handled whole thing very well considering pressure he is under.

His best was very good, totally agree - he developed really good control and swung it both ways and conventional and reverse as well. And he got a good few years out of it. As a career appraisal though I couldn’t rate him better than ‘decent’
Could be coloured by the fact that I liked the bloke. Anyone who worked out a way to take wickets on the s**t he had to bowl on as a pacer for as long as he did is alright in my book.

They ran 1 completed run off the bat, and when in the process of completing the second run, the throw at the stumps hit Stokes bat and then ricocheted to the fence. The issue was, Stokes and Rashid had yet to cross for the second run when the throw was released.

The rule:

The issue was that when Gutpills throw was released, while Stokes and Rashid had started on the second run, they had yet to cross each other, so the 'run in progress' should not have counted.

Boundaries Law | MCC
Exactly
That wasn't a judgement call like a poor LBW decision it was a blatant disregard for the rule.

It's the same as hitting a four and trying to complete a run before the ball reaches the boundary. That run doesn't count either.

Edit: the only good thing to come out of that debacle of a match is that it would have upset a certain St Kilda supporter on here.

Do they not allow fans around airports or do you guys just not care lol

What? Of course we care, but we just won a world cup, that's just a bit meh in Australia, we do it all the time.

I just love how the Indians are complaining they were beaten by a pitch that they doctored :) Carrying on that bowling first gave Australia the advantage when Rohit Sharma said he'd have batted first anyway. After putting up with England's crap, and now from India, I'm almost over international cricket.

TBH I think Sharma saying he would bat first was a bit of bravado. Chasing in Ahmededab under lights seems a slightly easier task.

That being said, we executed far better than India, who for the most part seemed to freeze quite a lot under the pressure.

We'll never know but based on the execution under pressure that we did witness, I think we win either way, regardless of who won the toss and what they decided to do. India waltzed their way through this tournament and that's not always a great thing. The moment something didn't go their way on Sunday, India played like a team that suddenly had the weight of the world on their shoulders, whereas Australia had a plan, stuck to it and seemed like they were free to take on the game and never seemed bothered in those couple of spots when we were in trouble (at the start of each innings).

After opening the bowling all tournament (and in every single ODI he has played since rejoining the team in 2022), the decision to move Siraj down the bowling order where he is much less effective was the perfect encapsulation of India's clouded thinking and inability to cope with the pressure. That's nothing to do with coin tosses or batting/bowling first - that's clouded thinking getting in the way of executing your game plan.

From the moment Sharma got out, India played like a team trying not to lose and Australia played the whole game like a team thinking "* it, let's just see what happens".

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back