Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawthorn have had Hodge/Mitchell/Lewis/Roughhead/Sewell for starters - demanding that every player in Hawthorn colours plays a certain way and gets paid a certain way. Geelong have had their day and Hawthorn will be gonski in a year or two as all these champs retire.

Carlton has been ordinary at best and embarrassing too often at the draft table - Lucas? Bootsma? Mitchell etc etc etc I mean really? really?

Carlton needs to be 'Institutionalised' and best practice based on standard performance criteria has to be implemented throughout the Club. The Club is lucky to have a bloke like Malthouse coaching and looking over all aspects of the way the list and team are put together.

The new President is slowly going through every Department and implementing (no doubt) in consultation with people worthy of respect now at the Club, a better more professional way to do business.

As for the BS about who is in charge of list management and drafting and trading - if it isn't a team game - we are going to cop BS like Bootsma, McLean, Warnock and Lucas over and over again.

Malthouse's only 'questionable' high cost decision so far has been Thomas - and if he is over his ankle problems - he will provide a massive X factor not seen yet. If not - well Mick is probably on a short leash as far as high cost buying goes anyway.

Trigg and SOS appointments aren't 'accidents' - there is thought behind both.

Purely hypothetical question, but I feel a good one none the less.

Should MM pull the pin quickly due to family reasons, does our club have a contingency plan in place? Do we already have an idea of who that next coach might be? Do we think our next senior coach (not the caretaker) comes from within our ranks or externally? If so, who do you feel at this stage would be your pick to be our next coach?

I dont know whether hes up for it, but I have always had a massive soft spot for Dean Laidley and I would dearly love for him to be our next coach. He will already have been within the club for a few years so transition in terms of player relationships and tactics/strategy would be minimal, has previous senior coaching experience and he has been responsible for getting that extra bit out of Gibbs that shows he knows how to get players to that next level. He brings a toughness of body and mind to his football (as a player and now as a coach) and is an area we have been deficient in for many years.

I believe he may have said somewhere after his NM coaching stint that he didnt want to be a senior coach again, however things change (if that is in fact true) and he would be my preferred option for senior coach when MM leaves us (whether that be sooner or later).

Like what MM had to say about KJ playing at both ends. Could give us a good match up forward.

Love his rebound from defence too. Would think his close to R1 vs Tigers.

What is really confusing is Mick has also talked up White. The team that runs out R1 will be intriguing.

This is Carlton's problem. They won't get anywhere as a club until they stop running the club like it's 1978. They need to let go of all this buy this, throw money at that, poach this guy to "spite the enemy". That's just not how it's done anymore.
That hackneyed notion is so tired it will sleep longer than Rip Van Winkle. Put it to bed FFS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This coach-presser-thing is a load of contrived shite.

Let's put two emotional and competitive blokes into a room together just minutes after squaring off and get the winner to tell the loser what he did wrong...

I'm just glad the media has the game's best interests at heart and isn't doing this in order to generate headlines where there otherwise wouldn't be any.

Last edited:
The whole post game interview is a load of crap, it's not interesting, coaches give nothing away. You either get boring drone dribble (Ross Lyon for example), coaches trying to be comedians (Thompson) and saying a bunch of silly nonsense or fired up grumpy coaches who clearly don't want to be there (Mick).

It would be better if they ran a highlights package of the game and discussed the match with an expert commentators, if they want to add to the end of the games otherwise hold the press conferences with the coaches until the next day and save them for a footy related show after the round, spice that up a bit.

This is taking a bid idea from bad to worse.

For what its' worth Malthouse and many of the other coaches give terrific interviews a day or so after, it's worth listening to, just not right after the game.

Last edited:
Like cricket , football is all about making money

If putting coaches up post game makes more money then so be it, not that I agree with it but that is how it is

It is a business

Everyone is trying to make a buck

The hackneyed notion....
Well, its one of those opinions that gets repeated so often it becomes a cliche and today has no basis in fact. Carlton are not living in 1978. Its taken almost 20 miserable flagless years but it has finally twigged that to win a premiership you have to build a premiership list and you have to start from the ground up. And the things you can buy _ a great coaching and recruiting team, club facilities _ are just part of that process rather than a quick fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back