Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree i think the AFLPA would not back the move, HOWEVER the AFL i believe will be very concerned about the unintended consequences of the FA. In that case the AFL have been pretty consistent in its desire to allow the even distribution of success amongst AFL clubs, and anything that compromises this would be seen as a priority to fix. Likewise most clubs would not be enjoying the new found power of the players, therefore the clubs as a general entity would be in favor of changes as well. Over-riding everything in any case is the best interests of the game and its betterment. The game must come first and always has. FA is a needed change, but it needs to be tamed. It would be very unreasonable for the AFLPA to not countenance any changes as it was introduced without massive thought and discussion. Now it is time for discussion and change.

The NFL model is the one that will be most closely looked at. To balance up the power of the player, the NFL brought in a rule that teams could trade any player IN contract to any team they liked...

The problem was fixed...!

Coach Mick Maulthouse has the challenge of regenerating this list while remaining competitive enough to get results. Every media scribe wants to tell you his coaching career in on a knife's edge. Seven wins last year read poorly but it could have been so much better given the fact the blues lost five of seven game decided by 10 points or fewer and winless interstate. They have recruited Liam Jones, Jason Tutt, Kristian Jaksch and Mark Wiley who all fall into the age demographic the blues lack. Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs are stars, but Carlton desperately needs Chris Yarran to step up and lift last year's 16 pos a game average into the mid 20's. When Yarran has the football something good happens. The Blues were looking forward to regaining the service of Mathew Kreuzer who was to spend more time forward but injuriy has cruelled his pre-season. This shifts the focus to Jones who needs to be able to play the role of a target forward for Carlton to have any chance of success. In Dale Thomas' nine years he has never booted more than 23 goals a season, but I expect a possible 30 plus haul given his return to full fitness and a probable new role closer to goal. Chris Judd also should expect more time forward, given his pre-season has been considered a tremendous success. The spine - Michael Jamison, Levi Casbolt and Lachie Henderson is solid on paper but the loss of Waite, Betts and Garlett over the past 2 seasons highlight just how our game has evolved. Those 3 were in the top 5 goal-scorers at the club in the past 5 years. Troy Menzel is fast tracking into the elite bracket. He is all class. Menzel has been a multiple goal kicker 14 times in his first 26 afl games and don't be surprised if he has more than one goal of the year nomination in 2015. The conversation surrounding Carlton will be about Maulthouse's future. Most have already decided he's failed to deliver and his days are numbered. Que sera sera, but this season might just be Maulthoue's crowing glory, premiership aside, if he can get this group into the finals. Fans should go to the footy just to enjoy Judd as often as possible. One last time. (David King)

They're not re-jigging, or renovating. They are rebuilding and with is comes a rebooted Mick Maulthouse. We'll see how that plays out. On field, Menzel, Cripps, Buckley, Clem Smith and Jaksch are the future. Menzel especially has expectation, as does Thomas. Lost games by narrow margins last year, so the blues are competitive. (Mark Robinson)

Still thought the disposal efficiency was a bit off

That's too be expected in a NAB cup game... Can start to see a team taking shape. Just wait till these guys all start jelling together.
Can already see KJ getting heaps of praise and encouragement from backline leaders Simmo and Jammo.
Looks like he fits in great with our defensive unit.

That's too be expected in a NAB cup game... Can start to see a team taking shape. Just wait till these guys all start jelling together.
Can already see KJ getting heaps of praise and encouragement from backline leaders Simmo and Jammo.

Agreed. At the moment KJ, Cripps, Boekhorst and probably Smith look likely to start in round one for mine. Exciting times ahead.

Also I've been giving Carrazzo a lot of stick before the pre-season but credit where it's due, he looked legit yesterday.

Agreed. At the moment KJ, Cripps, Boekhorst and probably Smith look likely to start in round one for mine. Exciting times ahead.

Also I've been giving Carrazzo a lot of stick before the pre-season but credit where it's due, he looked legit yesterday.

I think a lot of us had forgot just how good Carrazzo is. It was hard to see how he would get back to his best.
Being 30+ and having injury after injury.
But he looked great last night. His kicking has even improved. He was consistently nailing drop punts that spun beautifully.

KJ has all the tools you would expect from a high draft pick. I think with KJ clearly his good enough.
It's going to be up to Mick and the MC as to how they mangage young KJ.

Cripps will be in the team R1. He looked great and is yet to play with all our guns in the midfield.
I'd say our inside mids will be Judd Gibbs Carrazzo and Cripps.

Boekhorst looks like he could be a winner for us. He hit White on the chest with a beautiful left foot pass :).
Had never seen him use His left before. Was also happy with some of his defensive work.
His willing to get in there and win his own footy.
This is the bonus in taking a mature ager if his good enough he could come and play every game.

Clem doesn't look out place out there. I like his pace and some of his work by hand is pretty sharp.
Not sure he will be there in R1 but happy to be proven wrong.

Had to deliver his post in person to ODN's place.

622084623_195.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You absolute sheer utter ..................... ah forget it. :p
Sorry Aph, I just saw Donnie Brasco yesterday. Do you mean:

"Forget about it" like when you agree with someone and its a no brainer, you know, like "Judd's one of the greatest players. Forget about it!" Or is it when you disagree with someone, like "Hird is innocent or Collingwood will be premiers in 2015. Forget about it!" or do you just mean "forget about it." :)

Sorry Aph, I just saw Donnie Brasco yesterday. Do you mean:

"Forget about it" like when you agree with someone and its a no brainer, you know, like "Judd's one of the greatest players. Forget about it!" Or is it when you disagree with someone, like "Hird is innocent or Collingwood will be premiers in 2015. Forget about it!" or do you just mean "forget about it." :)

Brilliant movie GB :thumbsu:

No I was trying to avoid the swear filter ................... yeah forget about it. :p

You know what I find annoying ? It seems to me, that the round 1 result will go a long way to determining Mick's future at the club, in the eyes of my fans (and some sections of the media)

An unexpected win would lead to calls of re-sign MM now, whereas a loss will probably see Mick's papers stamped, in the eyes of many pundits.

It shouldn't be like that, and i think we need to wait till at least round 10 or 11 to make a proper evaluation of Mick's future, but as I say, I fear many people will place all their eggs on one basket depending on the round 1 result ..

Aside from Hird and Essendon*, I don't think there is any coach under more pressure then Mick going into season 2015 (which is unfair, I believe Chris Scott , Alan Richardson and Adam Simpson be under the pump as well)

You know what I find annoying ? It seems to me, that the round 1 result will go a long way to determining Mick's future at the club, in the eyes of my fans (and some sections of the media)

An unexpected win would lead to calls of re-sign MM now, whereas a loss will probably see Mick's papers stamped, in the eyes of many pundits.

It shouldn't be like that, and i think we need to wait till at least round 10 or 11 to make a proper evaluation of Mick's future, but as I say, I fear many people will place all their eggs on one basket depending on the round 1 result ..

Aside from Hird and Essendon*, I don't think there is any coach under more pressure then Mick going into season 2015 (which is unfair, I believe Chris Scott , Alan Richardson and Adam Simpson be under the pump as well)

Don't think Alan Richardson or C. Scott will be under any pressure from their clubs. They're in whatever phase that they're in and executive will back them in beyond this year.
Simpson is the interesting one and depending on the output of WCE this year may find himself back in VIC if things really bottom out (injuries may save him but they've drafted well by the looks of it so youth progression will be looked at too).

Still thought the disposal efficiency was a bit off

Disposal efficiency will go down as the team seeks to execute quicker handballs and kicks to moving targets. So expect it in the season proper. The key thing to remember is that if you do not execute quickly in the modern game you are unlikely to score. On one memorable occasion Judd, who played a great game, handballed straight to a Collingwood player. He more than made up for that miss with his gets.

If our disposal efficiency does improve in the season proper, interestingly this may well be a sign that we are playing too conservatively.

Yeah, KJ went alright. Not only was he able to mark, more importantly he seems able to punch the ball away. The first requirement of a KPD.

Waiting for Windy's post game wrap up.
Waite, no Moore. It was a preseaon game. Another one this week.

Last edited:
Interesting article on MM's fate: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-20/blues-wont-rush-mick-talks

My take out:-

1. MM reckons the players will be distracted by debate over his and ass-coaches future.
2. Trigg disagrees and reckons when they put their head over the ball they won't be thinking of Mick's contract.

Let's all hope Trigg is right and MM wrong. I would hate it if our season was ruined by coaching speculation.:)

3. Trigg says "But I want to underline to Carlton people that he's doing a wonderful job preparing a relatively young and inexperienced team."

I would expect Trigg to say the first part - and am pleased he did so, but where does Trigg get this lame "relatively young and inexperienced team" excuse from? St Kilda, Melbourne, WBullies and GWS might be so described but I doubt if we are other than average for age and hardly way unders for experience.

Interesting article on MM's fate: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-20/blues-wont-rush-mick-talks

My take out:-

1. MM reckons the players will be distracted by debate over his and ass-coaches future.
2. Trigg disagrees and reckons when they put their head over the ball they won't be thinking of Mick's contract.

Let's all hope Trigg is right and MM wrong. I would hate it if our season was ruined by coaching speculation.:)

3. Trigg says "But I want to underline to Carlton people that he's doing a wonderful job preparing a relatively young and inexperienced team."

I would expect Trigg to say the first part - and am pleased he did so, but where does Trigg get this lame "relatively young and inexperienced team" excuse from? St Kilda, Melbourne, WBullies and GWS might be so described but I doubt if we are other than average for age and hardly way unders for experience.
Question is Windy... will your season be ruined by coaching speculation?

Had to deliver his post in person to ODN's place.

622084623_195.jpg

Err Windy ... don't suppose you have another copy. I thought it was a photocopier ... honest.

shredder.jpg

Mick's referencing his final year at Collingwood as having had an impact, but in fairness that situation was completely bizarre and ridiculous, not to mentioned involved a bloke called Eddie, that it was like three circuses rolled into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back