Midfielders drafted in the top 10 in 2021, 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Of the 20 top 10 picks across the past 2 seasons 15 are midfielders, a lot of them already look elite with plenty of them showing great signs.

Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas, Humphrey, Mackenzie, Clarke, Ginbey, Phillipou , JHF, Callaghan, Daicos, Rachele, Ward and Erasmus

The other 5 kids drafted were, Cadman, Andrew, Darcy, Gibcus, Amiss and most of these guys have shown a bit as well.

Try ranking these mids from best to least best based on what you've seen so far, It's almost impossible, it's hard to pick number 1 let alone ranking the whole lot. Will be curious to bump this thread in 6 years to see how many great calls are made now.

I'm not going to rank the lot but I'll pick 5 who I think will be the kings of this group;

Humphrey - I think he could be the best of the lot
Daicos
Ashcroft
JHF
Rachele

Of the 20 top 10 picks across the past 2 seasons 15 are midfielders, a lot of them already look elite with plenty of them showing great signs.

Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas, Humphrey, Mackenzie, Clarke, Ginbey, Phillipou , JHF, Callaghan, Daicos, Rachele, Ward and Erasmus

The other 5 kids drafted were, Cadman, Andrew, Darcy, Gibcus, Amiss and most of these guys have shown a bit as well.

Try ranking these mids from best to least best based on what you've seen so far, It's almost impossible, it's hard to pick number 1 let alone ranking the whole lot. Will be curious to bump this thread in 6 years to see how many great calls are made now.

I'm not going to rank the lot but I'll pick 5 who I think will be the kings of this group;

Daicos
Ashcroft
JHF
Rachele

Wardlaw is the most physically gifted of that group, by far.

Sleep on him all you like, he can barely run out 2 quarters but is still topping North for pressure acts, clearances and tackles despite blowing out his ass. He's walking through tacklers and taking it up to the likes of Luke Parker physically.

Without delving to far into the stats I think he even tops that entire group already in Clearances and Tackles per game and is only slightly behind JHF for CP per game, despite playing about 63% TOG.

Sheezel is going to be an amazing forward-mid, but Wardlaw is something else because of his speed, power and bloodlust for the contest.

Sleep on him all you like, he can barely run out 2 quarters but is still topping North for pressure acts, clearances and tackles despite blowing out his ass. He's walking through tacklers and taking it up to the likes of Luke Parker physically.

Sheezel is going to be an amazing forward-mid, but Wardlaw is something else because of his speed, power and bloodlust for the contest.

Who is sleeping on Wardlaw? Just because I didn't list him in my 5 doesn't mean I think he's average. That list of 15 has massive upside everywhere including Wardlaw and Sheezel.

Who is sleeping on Wardlaw? Just because I didn't list him in my 5 doesn't mean I think he's average. That list of 15 has massive upside everywhere including Wardlaw and Sheezel.

Fair enough.

Daicos
Wardlaw
Humphrey
Sheezel
Ashcroft

Is mine.

The 2022 draft will be considered the heir to 2001 in as little as 18 months, even well ahead of the 2018 draft imo.

Last edited:

Without delving to far into the stats I think he even tops that entire group already in Clearances and Tackles per game and is only slightly behind JHF for CP per game, despite playing about 63% TOG.

Interesting that North have been competitive in every game since he came in.

Daicos
Ashcroft
JHF
Rachele
Neither Rach and DAC are midfielders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos
Ashcroft
JHF
Rachele
I dont really classify daicos as a mid. He runs up through there but the others have been a lot more mid.
Rachele is a small fwd, philipou a HF.
Sheezel a bit of everything.

On output to date;
Ashcroft - stepped into a top 4 side midfield and has held his spot all year.

Callaghan - stringing an excellent season together. Body looks right and he's showing a lot of class. Really wish we'd nabbed that pies f1 in 2020

Humphrey - has only been a handful of games but he's been busting those games apart. He and rowell are like wrecking balls.

JHF - probably suffers a little having the comps best mid, his partner in crime, and a brownlow medalist alongside him, but i see a lot of early danger in him. Reckon he's got comps best player in him.

Ginbey for now. Has come into afl and is playing stronger than you'd expect a debutant too.
Wardlaw will shoot up this list though. Kid reminds me of judd.

Id have rated sheezel in the overall group just behind daicos at #1 and ashcroft. But he's not proving it as a mid for me.
Still filthy he was drafted before we had a chance. :p love this kid.

Ashcroft easily number 1 averaging 28 possessions a game plays for a top 4 team getting harshly judged here it seems
I think Ashcroft is really good. But I would rather Wardlaw, Humphries and Philipou. Next I'd have a toss-up between Ashcroft and Sheezal.

To say Ashcroft 'easily' you mustn't be watching much footy.

Can’t wait for Hewett to get a decent crack at it. He’s got the game to be right up there sooner or later. Really looking forward to seeing Tsastas out there too soon I hope.

I think Ashcroft is really good. But I would rather Wardlaw, Humphries and Philipou. Next I'd have a toss-up between Ashcroft and Sheezal.

To say Ashcroft 'easily' you mustn't be watching much footy.
I watch every single game of Football every week Ashcroft finds the space not many can find for an inside midfielder there’s massive hype around the others I think Ashcroft gets judged harder because he’s playing for a great team but that said he’s still showing great talent and impact on games

1. Nick Daicos - yet to play massive minutes but it's just a given he'll end up there and continue to become a superstar
2. Bailey Humphrey - some serious Bont about this guy. Seems a real full package.
3. Jason Horne-Francis - the Dangerfield comparisons are obvious. Gun.
4. Reuben Ginbey - going to be a monster if he can learn to accumulate. Two way running, contested ball winning brute. Oliver and Rowell like.
5. Will Ashcroft - ticking every box so far. Has seemlessly fit in a strong Lions midfield and will continue to grow.
6. Finn Callaghan - like Ashcroft he just ticks most boxes. Can't pick out a glaring weakness.

I watch every single game of Football every week Ashcroft finds the space not many can find for an inside midfielder there’s massive hype around the others I think Ashcroft gets judged harder because he’s playing for a great team but that said he’s still showing great talent and impact on games
Daicos plays for the best team and he's the best of the lot. Not sure what your point is

Daicos plays for the best team and he's the best of the lot. Not sure what your point is
Daicos isn’t a midfielder and Collingwood lost to the Lions in a game where Ashcroft stared but yes everything has to be about the Magpies heaven forbid my point is Ashcroft is showing a lot but gets judged harshly if he was at North would be their best midfielder

Daicos isn’t a midfielder and Collingwood lost to the Lions in a game where Ashcroft stared but yes everything has to be about the Magpies heaven forbid my point is Ashcroft is showing a lot but gets judged harshly if he was at North would be their best midfielder
No he wouldn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back