Midfielders drafted in the top 10 in 2021, 22

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no doubt Nick Daicos could be a very good midfielder whenever he wanted, but I just think he'll always have a more slight build than some of his contemporaries and be a skilled running player. That's how to maximise his talent.

When he goes on ball currently it's often later in games when they've opened up and generally he has 2 excellent mature bodied on ballers next to him in some combination of De Goey, Mitchell, Pendles, Adams etc.

If he had the pure power and wider frame of other guys he'd be the absolute lock but there's others who can potentially do things he won't as much.

JHF and Humphrey stand out for their power and contested aerial game as well as having quality skills. Humphrey's skills improvement from juniors to AFL level has been incredible. As is the way he's running out games for a kid who wasn't always seen as the elite of the elite.

I'd find those 3 hard to split.

Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Rachele, Callaghan, Phillipou and perhaps McKenzie and Ginbey I'd all have just a little tier below.

Ashcroft, no flaws but maybe less brilliant, might max out as a guy who's never really seen as the best of the best but gets the job done every week.
Wardlaw is very special at what he does, but I've been less a fan of his decision making and skills and he's on the smaller side these days. Still a jet though.
Sheezel just a question of athleticism and power, again, a lock for 200+ high quality games and will be great value as a utility.
Rachele - excellent skills and tricks, a little small.
Callaghan - excellent skills, perhaps a bit one paced, but he's a big Rolls Royce just warming up
Phillipou - one of those could be the best players of the comp guys.
McKenzie - watch and see with this kid, looks a little unassuming to be in this conversation but he's got some bulk and kicks it very well
Ginbey - could be elite defensively and very good at everything else which is undervalued and rare in star mids.

Has to be Daicos right now. The rest are all jostling on potential and Daicos will finish minimum Top 3 in the Brownlow this year, at TWENTY YEARS OLD.

As for the rest, Wardlaw and Sheezel are DEFINITELY the next best, but only because I watch them every week, and I doubt everyone has seen all these players enough to know who the best are. I certainly haven't.

All I know is it's Daicos out ahead.

JHF, Rachele and Humphrey have already become gamebreakers.

The rest are going beautifully. A number of them look incredibly exciting.

Wardlaw is the most physically gifted of that group, by far.

Sleep on him all you like, he can barely run out 2 quarters but is still topping North for pressure acts, clearances and tackles despite blowing out his ass. He's walking through tacklers and taking it up to the likes of Luke Parker physically.

Without delving to far into the stats I think he even tops that entire group already in Clearances and Tackles per game and is only slightly behind JHF for CP per game, despite playing about 63% TOG.

Sheezel is going to be an amazing forward-mid, but Wardlaw is something else because of his speed, power and bloodlust for the contest.
physically gifted yet can't run out 2 quarters? That's a bit of a contradiction. He's a good young player with promise but his skills are deplorable at this early stage. As a neutral, I'd take Sheezel over Wardlaw and it's not close.

Daicos. The others are all second to him at the moment, but time shifts things and some players need time to excel

physically gifted yet can't run out 2 quarters? That's a bit of a contradiction. He's a good young player with promise but his skills are deplorable at this early stage. As a neutral, I'd take Sheezel over Wardlaw and it's not close.

It's not really a contradiction.

No preseason will do that to you.

In terms of physical gifts (vertical, speed, acceleration, power, strength), he's a Dangerfield level athlete.

He has the same vertical as Nic Nat (104cm), The same 20m time as Dangerfield (2.91) and he was #1 at North for all the power lifting tests on day 1 of his first day at the club.

Unsure how you have come to the determination his skills are "deplorable" tbh.

Last edited:
Daicos. The others are all second to him at the moment, but time shifts things and some players need time to excel
Yep,
Very early in the piece. How many times have we seen a kid dominate and then struggle when more work gets put into them or they get a significant injury. Going from support player to midfield leader is also a challenge for some.

The bolded is just an absurdly bad take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

daicos is obviously a star so cant go past him, sheezel as well has had a massive impact as a first year player

have loved watching JHF play, just hard at it. wardlaw too in his short time playing has shown some real class in the clinches

ginbey has been a beast for an undermanned eagles, unreal tackle numbers. will be better with sheed/yeo back in

humphrey is ridiculously exciting although havent seen as much of him

ill chuck in Johnson as well though, not a top 10 but hes got ridiculous composure mixed with a fyfe body

Wardlaw is the most physically gifted of that group, by far.

Sleep on him all you like, he can barely run out 2 quarters but is still topping North for pressure acts, clearances and tackles despite blowing out his ass. He's walking through tacklers and taking it up to the likes of Luke Parker physically.

Without delving to far into the stats I think he even tops that entire group already in Clearances and Tackles per game and is only slightly behind JHF for CP per game, despite playing about 63% TOG.

Sheezel is going to be an amazing forward-mid, but Wardlaw is something else because of his speed, power and bloodlust for the contest.
Ginbey far more physically gifted than that midget.

What? What a shocking take lol. He has hit some absolute bullets so far mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back