Midfielders drafted in the top 10 in 2021, 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Daicos isn’t a midfielder and Collingwood lost to the Lions in a game where Ashcroft stared but yes everything has to be about the Magpies heaven forbid my point is Ashcroft is showing a lot but gets judged harshly if he was at North would be their best midfielder
No he wouldn't lol, what a nuffy comment just like you saying ashcroft averages 28 when he doesn't. Thats Sheezel mate.

TBH Sheezel is in front of Ashcroft for the rising star - he is the one being downplayed.

I watch every single game of Football every week Ashcroft finds the space not many can find for an inside midfielder there’s massive hype around the others I think Ashcroft gets judged harder because he’s playing for a great team but that said he’s still showing great talent and impact on games
I think he looks like he rushes his kicks and seems to kick a bit over his shoulder rather than run and kick directly moving forward. I think he is a great player, but I just see some really dynamic kids out there. Ashcroft wont be the best from that draft IMO. But, we'll see over the next 3 or 4 years I suppose.

Daicos isn’t a midfielder and Collingwood lost to the Lions in a game where Ashcroft stared but yes everything has to be about the Magpies heaven forbid my point is Ashcroft is showing a lot but gets judged harshly if he was at North would be their best midfielder
Yet Nick Daicos got 7 coaches' votes that game and Ashcroft got a big fat duck egg. So even your coach acknowledged Daicos' game.
But you keep spinning your stories.

Daicos plays predominantly half back but each time he’s stood into the midfield he’s been a clear point of difference. He’s demonstrated a strong clearance winning ability and efficient use out of stoppages. He single handedly won us the game on ANZAC Day after Pendlebury went off, and will probably earn 2 and 3 Brownlow votes the last two weeks playing increased minutes in midfield. We don’t need to play him as a permanent inside mid because we have 5 very good options in our 22 already.

Daicos, JHF, Wardlaw, Humphrey, Ashcroft, Ginbey, Mackenzie, Rachele, Sheezel, Phillipou, Ward, Tsatas, Callaghan, Erasmus, Clarke.

My back of the envelope workings for best in 6 years time.

Humphrey looks like a really exciting prospect. So glad for the Suns that they have managed to tie him up to a long contract and I think it speaks to his character as well. Daicos for mine hasn't really proved it in the midfield yet, he seems to have played more half back. No doubt when he gets more minutes in there he'll excel though, kid is a natural.
JHF, im biased but wouldn't trade him for anyone. For a second year player he has been enormous for us.
Haven't seen Wardlaw play yet but from all reports looks like a sure thing. Sheezel I'm not sold on just yet. Reckon he might be a serviceable Bryce Gibbs type, just can't see him breaking out to that next level to superstar territory. It is his first year of AFL footy though and he's doing exceptionally, so this is all just guess work.

I'd take JHF first for obvious reasons, but I think it's too early to call any of them being better than the rest at the moment. I suspect they'll all have great careers but if I had a gun held to my head and had to choose my top 5 prospects I'd go
1. JHF
2. Daicos
3. Humphrey
4. Wardlaw (note I haven't even seen him play so this selection is purely based on hearsay and underage highlights)
5. Ashcroft

Wardlaw is the most physically gifted of that group, by far.

Sleep on him all you like, he can barely run out 2 quarters but is still topping North for pressure acts, clearances and tackles despite blowing out his ass. He's walking through tacklers and taking it up to the likes of Luke Parker physically.

Without delving to far into the stats I think he even tops that entire group already in Clearances and Tackles per game and is only slightly behind JHF for CP per game, despite playing about 63% TOG.

Sheezel is going to be an amazing forward-mid, but Wardlaw is something else because of his speed, power and bloodlust for the contest.

Selwood 2.0

Very good list and nobody can say anyone is easily above the rest. Yes I'm a Pies supporter but Daicos is number 1 for me. He may only go into the midfield every now and then but what he can do on a footy field blows my mind.
He's the best kid I've ever seen watching in 40 years Collingwood (not AFL just Pies).

Watch his running goal from Saturday, sublime.

Humphrey, JHF, Sheezel, Daicos and a few others …terrific new talents but f*** me Wardlaw against us …I said it on another thread but haven’t seen a teenager as ferocious at ball and man as this guy.

Daicos is a clear number 1 and there is no argument otherwise. He’s a phenom. Yes he’s played halfback, but he’s also dominated midfield when he’s gone in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Humphrey, JHF, Sheezel, Daicos and a few others …terrific new talents but f*** me Wardlaw against us …I said it on another thread but haven’t seen a teenager as ferocious at ball and man as this guy.
He is relentless.

The way he dragged himself from contest to contest against you guys when he was obviously stuffed was pretty amazing. I don't remember another player that hard at it either. At least not this century.

He’s got some moves in heavy traffic as well. Great to watch. We are very lucky to have him.

Very hard to pick a top five, as we are spoilt for choice.
At this early stage

Daicos - Generational talent
Wardlaw- Just fell in love with this guy
Ashcroft - Love the way he goes about it, will be a star for many years.
Humphrey - Looking forward to watching him over the next couple of years, as he could be anything.

Throw a blanket over another five for the fifth spot.

Most teams (except Carlton ;)) have some super talented young kids who are going to light up the AFL for many years to come.

Daicos right now no question, but in 5 years time? Could be very different, could still be Daicos clear.

The players would have to be seriously elite to knock off Daicos given he is arguably a top 5-10 player in the comp already.

Daicos right now no question, but in 5 years time? Could be very different, could still be Daicos clear.
Hard to say in 5 years time, there was a time where if you suggested Walsh wasn’t the best player in his draft you would had been laughed at, now as others get older and start being consistent I doubt Walsh is even in the top 5 of his draft.

Daicos does look like a generational talent though, far superior to Walsh in 2021 at his peak.

The players would have to be seriously elite to knock off Daicos given he is arguably a top 5-10 player in the comp already.

They are seriously elite, He has them covered now because his start has been freakish but these guys will develop and then supported better than they are now. Not every player gets to play next to Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Moore and Crisp from day 1.

Smart money probably says Daicos remains the king of this lot but he'll have some competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back