Past Mitch Clark #1 (2006-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mitch Clark

Brisbane Lions in talks to secure Mitch Clark to new deal
  • Andrew Hamilton and Greg Davis
  • July 25, 2011 12:00AM
Clark's manager Colin Young will arrive in Brisbane to ramp up talks that will be held against the backdrop that rival suitors feel Clark's asking price of $600,000 a year is too high.

Fremantle have made a concrete offer, while Richmond and Sydney are interested but not at the price Clark is believed to be seeking. Expansion side GWS are also frequently mentioned as a potential home but it is still not clear if their interest is genuine.

Clark is already well paid. He capitalised on his best season in league footy in 2009 to cut a new deal earning him about $450,000 a year. He has not reached that level of play since.

clark76.jpg

If those figures are true then Clark is sounding more and more like Brennan.

I've said many times that I've heard he won't be a Lion next year, but if he was to remain, figures of $600K per year are outrageous for a player that is as inconsistent as Clark and rarely produce what I would consider match winning games.

It sets a really dangerous precedent if we go back down the path of paying players of Clark's ilk such substantial salaries.:thumbsdown:

I'd be happy to pay him $600K/year. He's about to hit his prime. I respect the club for not bending over backwards for him but I'm afraid of him leaving and then starting to play really well.

$450k is too much for him. $600k is a joke.

If he could string two good games together he may be worth $450k but he can not and will not at the Lions. He displays Fev like sulking and is too hot and cold in game situations.

It would be just our luck that he goes and puts 20 good games together for some one else next year.

IMO he needs to go to a team where he is the number 1 forward. Where his ego can be stroked and everyone can praise him. That wont happen at the Lions because he is clearly not number 1. Maybe not even number 2.

I for one would rather see Karnie be given the accolade and Acorn, Retzlaff get a red hot go.

Not bothered at all if he goes. His ego is too big for the Lions.

I'd be happy to pay him $600K/year.

Not me. Not when Rich and Leuey have just signed for 450k.

Players and the club need to show commitment to each other at this stage. Mitch dragging out the process and shopping himself out to every club is certainly not painting an impression of a guy willing to meet the club half way.

I love that the club has a "no more paying overs" policy now. I also understand that that rule may need to be broken in some circumstances, but not this one. Not for Mitch. 450k should be the offer. Take it or leave it. Let's see how much commitment he has to the club relative to his bank balance.

I'm just amazed its effectively gone from 'he's already signed with GWS' to it being 'unclear if their interest is genuine'. :confused:

By the sounds, GWS will be the only ones able to meet his pay demands anyway.

I'd love to keep him, but not at that price.

Interesting times ahead.

He is not worth that money though, he was very ordinary at the weekend.
If he could perform at a consistent level each week he is worth $450.000, but he doesnt..
Still like to keep him ,but not for more than he is worth.

I'm just amazed its effectively gone from 'he's already signed with GWS' to it being 'unclear if their interest is genuine'. :confused:

My mail is that he signed with GWS in the window last year. The rest is just bs.

Yep, ..The old media charades... 1st round courtesy call ( tea & buiscuits ).. compare offers...then play the toing & froing till seasons end ...

It is almost like certain articles on his manager's website have obfuscated the issue... :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be happy to pay him $600K/year. He's about to hit his prime. I respect the club for not bending over backwards for him but I'm afraid of him leaving and then starting to play really well.

600K/year would roughly put him into the top 25 highest paid player list. That to me say's it all - not on a month of Sunday's !

If those figures are true then Clark is sounding more and more like Brennan.

Yep, agree.....another inconsistent player that our team is simply not good enough to carry 3 weeks out of 4.

Thanks Mitch for the 2009 season and have fun in the West of Sydney. Try not to get stabbed on the way to training :eek:

The Lions should grab the 1st round pick with both hands and be thankful for the salary cap relief too.

Maybe I overrate him but the Lions aren't going to be able to get a better key forward * for that price. It's also less than what Kurt Tippett (who was shopped around similar to what is currently happening with Clark and is at a club in a similar stage to the Lions) is on and I rate Clark more than Tippett. The plan would be after two years the Lions would be starting to push into the eight and he'd be more willing to accept less for success and because he's more settled into Brisbane. But without GWS being in the equation $$$ won't be as big an issue.

*Better Key Forwards at other clubs IMO
Riewoldt x 2
Kennedy
Podsiadly
Travis Cloke
Petrie
Franklin

Then the list gets a bit more hazy with younger blokes like Hurley, Taylor Walker, Waite, Roughhead, etc.

Also Clark 'puts bums on seats' and after losing Brennan this becomes more important. You'd think the club must like his leadership as well to him a v.c. role.

Also Clark 'puts bums on seats' and after losing Brennan this becomes more important.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but really?:confused:

I personally wouldn't have thought so. Besides Brown, Black and Power, the only other guys I'd consider that would put bums on seats are Rich, Redden, Banfield and with the way things are going Karnezis well before Clark.

My mail is that he signed with GWS in the window last year. The rest is just bs.

If so, wouldn't that just be an unenforceable heads of agreement or letter of intent, given the AFL's drafting rules, with contracts only to be offered/signed during the trade window?

I thought I had read something to that effect about Scully, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I would rather keep him, but $500k/season would be my limit (I know that's overs, but at least we know what we're getting as opposed to kids acquired through compo picks).

Until it is confirmed he is leaving I will continue to cheer the kid on. People shouldn't write him off based on just hear say. Not to say he won't leave but let's just wait and see what happens.

Google Colin Young stable... one would find articles from sports news first (.com.au )

In November last year Young was wined & dined and given the tour of GWS and gave it the :thumbsu:

Young handles around 60 AFL players spread throughout the nation and declared his rave endorsement to GWS planned accommodation facilities for players, as well as the club’s intended recruitment and personal welfare models.
LINK

Then in Feb Silvagni & Allan flew to Perth to meet with Young

Young confirmed discussions with the GWS recruiting scouts.
“I did meet with Gubby and Steve for a discussion on my players,” Young said.“As a player agent I see it as diligence to ascertain what they might have to offer any of my players at the appropriate time for further discussions.“It’s only discussions at this stage and the priority of the players is to play football."Gubby and Steve are just trying to realise what players might be open to offers and have further discussions at the right time.”
LINK

A sign on fee for the manager perhaps?

Reading how Clark has one from "will definitely be at GWS next year" to "it's unknown whether the interest is genuine", the conspiracy theorist in me wants to believe the AFL has stepped in and told GWS to steer clear of Brisbane due to the losses of Rischa and Brennan...

The plan would be after two years the Lions would be starting to push into the eight and he'd be more willing to accept less for success and because he's more settled into Brisbane. But without GWS being in the equation $$$ won't be as big an issue.

I'm pretty sure if we pay $600k for Clark now, he won't bel looking to take a pay cut in two years time.

I'm all for paying players what they are worth but at the end of the day he's not worth that and if the only thinkg keeping him here is an extra 150K then he can go.

Reading how Clark has one from "will definitely be at GWS next year" to "it's unknown whether the interest is genuine", the conspiracy theorist in me wants to believe the AFL has stepped in and told GWS to steer clear of Brisbane due to the losses of Rischa and Brennan...
I doubt that to be honest. The 18th club will come into being whatever the price, I reckon.

Link ....

Sources claim Brisbane's Mitch Clark is all but a lock for GWS, but he does not appear a natural leader. Like his former Lions teammate Jared Brennan, Clark is one who likes to ply his craft in freakish ways without the extra pressure and baggage.

clark38.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back