Past Mitch Clark #1 (2006-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mitch Clark

Lions still waiting for response from GWS target Mitch Clark
  • Stephen Rielly
  • August 09, 2011 12:00AM
THE Brisbane Lions have asked Mitch Clark for a decision on his future but have denied it is an ultimatum after speculation all year he is a target of Greater Western Sydney.

The Lions have put a two-year offer to Clark and assured him that he has a long-term role with them as a ruckman/forward but have yet to receive a response.

The 23-year-old has been a source of speculation all year as a supposed target of GWS but it is understood he is not keen on living in Sydney.

clark75.jpg

If so, wouldn't that just be an unenforceable heads of agreement or letter of intent, given the AFL's drafting rules, with contracts only to be offered/signed during the trade window?

I thought I had read something to that effect about Scully, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I would rather keep him, but $500k/season would be my limit (I know that's overs, but at least we know what we're getting as opposed to kids acquired through compo picks).

Yep you are right. My understanding is that GC had between 8-10 last year and that our two were both on that list. They can sign as many as they like. I've got strong mail that Mitch has a similar agreement with GWS.

If Clark has ruled out GWS he must be a fair chance of staying. West Coast don't need him and surely Fremantle can't have that much spare cash to offer him. Also it would be difficult to get a trade to Fremantle.

Really starting to hope we can keep Mitch - he has become a dead eye dick in front of goal! Such a turn around!

He'll end up kicking 30-35 goals this year in a team that has really struggled. I could easily see him kicking 50-60 next year.

Round 21 vs Gold Coast

[YOUTUBE]EWe0AZrDjcI&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]pOEbLCurlCY&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

videos courtesy of Ginger Greatness

Link ....

The big forward and part-time ruckman has been openly identified as a prime target of Greater Western Sydney and while Rockliff said he would love Clark to remain at the Gabba, nobody could begrudge players leaving for the kind of deals that can set them up for life.

"Hopefully we can get Mitch Clark to put pen to paper. But at the end of the day, it's their decision and what's best for them. Footy is such a business these days and people are offered ridiculous amounts of money, so you can't blame people for changing clubs either," Rockliff said.

clark78.jpg

Colin Young

The 200cm Clark had been touted a potential recruit for the new team coming into the competition, Greater Western Sydney, but his WA-based manager Colin Young was adamant this week that Clark wouldn't be going there.

"Mitchell Clark will not be going to Greater Western Sydney," Young said. "Should Mitchell decide that Brisbane is not for him going forward, then I'm fairly sure that there's quite a few clubs that will make the call."

He was named at full-forward for tonight's clash against premiers Collingwood at the MCG and is understood to be keen on getting through the remaining three home-and-away matches before going in for minor knee surgery.

clark67.jpg

Re: Clark to GWS rumours

David Schwartz just mentioned on SEN after questioned by a caller re Clark to GWS, that he was speaking with a current lions player who believed that Clark would stay with Brisbane due to him having personal problems and not wanting to be away from his daughter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's torn between us and his personal life..not a good position for him IMO..

..by the way, if he goes so be it, if he stays well done to us, but better effort required as stated..

He is going , no doubt in my mind
I agree. He would have signed by now if he had any intention of staying. The only way he will stay is if he doesn't get the offers he (or his manager) is expecting.

Meet the AFL's biggest under-achievers

11. MITCH CLARK (Brisbane)

Top 10 draft pick who has potential to rip game apart as a key forward or ruck man.

Has played his best footy as a ruckman in one breakout year, but has fallen back into his spasmodic ways near goal.

If he goes to GWS and takes the No.1 role, we may see the best of Clark on a far more consistent basis.

If he learned tp lead properly he may get close to being a good ( at best ) footballer. But He seems to be lazy, arrogant and a bit of a sook when things are not going his way. Good riddence to him. I for one will not be upset when he goes, as long as we are compensated appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back