Mitchell Johnson to announce retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Still have great faith in Pattinson and Cummings if they can get fit. Hazlewood doesn't look all that good though, unfortunately.

I agree, I think Pattinson is a gun and Cummuns pretty close as well.
Problem is Pattinson gets injured getting out of bed.

A question for another thread - there is bloke called Pattinson who if he bowls the Vics to victory today should be a chance along with the 12th Man. Just heading in now to check it out live

Figures look good.
How's he bowling live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best of luck to Johnno in his future. I feel pretty old knowing that he's retiring :( his 2013/14 Ashes series couldn't ever be forgotten, he was just a monster!

Pretty sad seeing him get absolutely spanked in this Test :( but I still think that he could have played against the West Indies this summer and beat up on them, just to go out with a bang at least.

I've seen many great fast bowlers over the 50 years I've followed Test cricket. How Johnson rates in comparison with others, who knows? All I will say is in the 2013-14 Ashes series, and the South African series after that, I've never seen quick bowling any better, and that includes the great Dennis Lillee.

Congratulations on a great career.

I loved our golden years; Punter, Gilly, McGrath, Warne, Haydos/Langer, Martyn etc - we had a half a dozen once in a lifetime players in the same team, and some of the cricket and wins were unbelievable...

But MJs resurgence in 13/14 is probably my favorite cricket thing ever.

He was finished; went from the best quick in the world, to a plodder...

And then he came back and put in two series that were arguably the best fast bowling performances you will ever see - it was magical.

I wish he played the Adelaide Test so we could farewell him (and I wish we'd produce pitches that allowed fast bowlers to dominate).

Champion cricketer - and meant to be a fantastic bloke as well.

Beating the Poms 5-0 was great, but after that series nobody expected us to trouble the South Africans on their home deck. After posting a good score with the bat in the 1st Test, Johnson came in with the new ball and unleashed one of the most brutal spells of fast bowling I've ever seen. Australia went on to win the series.

Unfortunately I can't find any footage of it on YouTube but the hardcore fans will remember the spell I'm talking about.

I was actually looking for it a week or two ago when trying to show my non-cricket following friends why this Mitchell Johnson fellow was so good. But yeah, couldn't find any either :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not as convinced by our fast bowling crop as I was a few years back, what looked like becoming a bountiful crop is withering on the vine somewhat.
Only natural for it to feel like that with Harris and Johnson gone, Siddle declining and Hazlewood being a non threat for the time being + injuries to others.

Beating the Poms 5-0 was great, but after that series nobody expected us to trouble the South Africans on their home deck. After posting a good score with the bat in the 1st Test, Johnson came in with the new ball and unleashed one of the most brutal spells of fast bowling I've ever seen. Australia went on to win the series.

Unfortunately I can't find any footage of it on YouTube but the hardcore fans will remember the spell I'm talking about.

I remember watching it at work. It got goosebumps watching it. Tremendous stuff.

Cricket is a funny game. 313 wickets @ 28 is a remarkable record, even more so for a guy who has been injured, in and out of the test team,
written off etc. That just goes to show how good his best was.

All I can remember from the 2013/14 Ashes is Mitchell Johnson. A fierce spell of bowling is one thing but he intimidated the English batsmen over all 5 tests and won us the series with his 37 wickets. Outstanding performance. Then South Africa...

Hopefully he sticks around and plays BBL/IPL. Onya Mitch.

Came onto the scene with a bang, lost his way for a few years and then cemented his spot in Australian cricket folklore with that legendary year.

His Ashes was massive, but his follow up series against South Africa was just as impressive. 22 wickets at 17. Those two monster series single-handedly dragged Australia back to the number 1 test ranking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back