Mega Thread MLB season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine facing 103mph fastballs. The Yankees were blown away by A's closer RHP Mason Miller this morning as he recorded three strikeouts to retire Volpe, Soto and Judge in order to save a 2-0 win for the A's.

I watched the end of the game, it was the free game of the day on MTB.tv. My first thought when I saw Mason Miller was that I wished the Cubs had someone like him. Damn.

He's actually a homegrown story. The A's drafted Miller in the third round of the 2021 draft. He started the 2023 season in Double-A, where he started one game before being promoted to Triple-A. After making one start in Triple-A, the A's called him up in April last year. But we had to shut him down in May last year when he reported elbow tightness in his pitching arm. He was put on the 60-day IL in June. We're using him as a reliever to limit the number of pitches he has to throw, but I suspect that, long term, he'll be moved back into the starting rotation (and presumably we'll ask him to throw less hard than when he's going for an inning).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back