Toast Morabito tracking thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Morabito came off the ground with cramp in his quad in the third quarter last week and Sheridan (who was sitting a few rows behind me) said to Gumby "s**t I think he's done his knee again". I thought the exact same thing when I saw it.

Evidence is starting to mount that Sheridan shouldn't be our go-to guy for diagnosing injuries.

Evidence is starting to mount that Sheridan shouldn't be our go-to guy for diagnosing injuries.

I'm not saying he did a knee, just that he was cramping pretty bad in the third quarter and I wasn't the only one to notice it.

There were a few of us that thought he did it, he was grabbing just above his knee when he came off the ground.

Either way, I was more talking about what might be going through his head.

I'm not saying he did a knee, just that he was cramping pretty bad in the third quarter and I wasn't the only one to notice it.

I know, I was just having a laugh after the whole Sylvia injury diagnosis thing.

I'm definitely in the camp of leaving Mora in the WAFL for longer than a few more games, unless he suddenly starts dominating and looking completely confident.

Stories like that scare the s**t out of me :eek:

That was a bloody hard game on the weekend with the lack of rotations even the fittest player would be cramping.

But Mora would certainly be battling some nasty mental demons. He has shown great courage and conviction.

Just looking at our fixtures for 'soft' games to bring Mora back in and I didn't realise how much tougher our first half of the year is compared to the second. If we can be sitting pretty at the bye we should have a storming second half of the year.

But I digress, I agree with whoever mentioned earlier that the North game might be the softest fixture we can bring him back in for in the first half of the season.

- Pro - a home game. It'll be a shame if we don't get the chance to applaud him when he first runs out
- Pro - soft opposition (relative to the rest of our games before the bye) where it wouldn't be as concerning if he was forced to come on early to cover an injury
- Con - after the bye this week that only gives him three more WAFL games

Morabito came off the ground with cramp in his quad in the third quarter last week and Sheridan (who was sitting a few rows behind me) said to Gumby "s**t I think he's done his knee again". I thought the exact same thing when I saw it.

He still looks to me like he is playing far too cautiously to be playing AFL in two weeks. I'm sure he will still be thinking that last time he got through 6 or 7 games before it tore again.

Totally agree on the cautious thing, I was at the game and he certainly didn't look to have gotten out of second gear for most of the match. Which can only be a good thing when he's ready to go if he's getting those numbers already.

while i understand the sentiments, i feel that if he is fit enough and skillful enough then he should be playing. i do not believe the chance of re-injury is any lower in the wafl then it is in the afl.

You could well be right. I mean, I'm the first to admit I'm not in the least bit qualified to make any statement about risk of injury. However, the speed of the game is higher, the athletes are probably stronger and more powerful and I'd say (again as a casual observer) that logically, this would suggest a higher risk of injury. The medical staff will clearly give him the go ahead when he's fit (they may have already done so) and rightly so, they're the ones with the qualifications, the experience and all the information.

But Mora would certainly be battling some nasty mental demons. He has shown great courage and conviction.

I'm not sure about that. Hasn't Mora done all his knees at training? If I was Mora I'd be happy to be playing in an actual game since it's the training track that's been his real nemesis.

I'm not sure about that. Hasn't Mora done all his knees at training? If I was Mora I'd be happy to be playing in an actual game since it's the training track that's been his real nemesis.

Yeah, I agree. We should just get him to play games and never train again and his knees will be fine forever.

That's just pure superstition.

Yeah, I agree. We should just get him to play games and never train again and his knees will be fine forever.

That's just pure superstition.

Well that was kind of my point. If he was going to be superstitious about something, it wouldn't be playing.

I'm not a doctor.
Cramps are normal, but they are a sign that mora may not be fully fit for a full game yet. If he try to push through it he'll risk soft tissue injuries, which is the last thing any of us want.

Looks like he'll be in wafl for a couple more weeks it seems.

I'm not a doctor.
Cramps are normal, but they are a sign that mora may not be fully fit for a full game yet. If he try to push through it he'll risk soft tissue injuries, which is the last thing any of us want.

Looks like he'll be in wafl for a couple more weeks it seems.

Bear in mind that their rotations were screwed with injuries, so his planned rest breaks were far fewer. The fact that he played out the game and ran out the cramp is a testament to his base fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at our fixtures for 'soft' games to bring Mora back in and I didn't realise how much tougher our first half of the year is compared to the second. If we can be sitting pretty at the bye we should have a storming second half of the year.

But I digress, I agree with whoever mentioned earlier that the North game might be the softest fixture we can bring him back in for in the first half of the season.

- Pro - a home game. It'll be a shame if we don't get the chance to applaud him when he first runs out
- Pro - soft opposition (relative to the rest of our games before the bye) where it wouldn't be as concerning if he was forced to come on early to cover an injury
- Con - after the bye this week that only gives him three more WAFL games
Don't forget this will be the liar liar pants on fire game and booing will be in order. I wouldn't want to push the crowd if they're not ready for booing and wild celebrations in the same game.

Don't forget this will be the liar liar pants on fire game and booing will be in order. I wouldn't want to push the crowd if they're not ready for booing and wild celebrations in the same game.

we could always ask the eagles crowd...they seem to have perfected it.

Sent from my RM-892_apac_australia_new_zealand_267 using Tapatalk

Myself I think its not just a matter of form, but also the role he would play.

Morra has speed, accelleration and poise with the ball in hand along with a booming kick - but is lacking finesse and match practice. Given he's playing HB most of the time while occasional forays up-field on the wing, and given Freo are looking to move the ball more quickly out the back line in order to get through the opposition's defensive setups, once Morra gets his kicking chops back, his long sweeping kicks from HB and run & carry would greatly facilitate this. RTB has already suggested he's a future KPP, and going by the comments on the latest WAFL watch (http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-03-26/wafl-watch-round-1) he's definitely being groomed for something.

Realistically I think Seppo has it right - either Clancy, Ibbo, Sutty (or maybe Sheridan) need to be looking over their shoulder, assuming that Morra stays in his current role and gets his touch back.

Most likely it's Sutty who will go if they want Morra at HB. Sutty is a beautiful runner & kick and pure class with the ball in hand, but you wouldn't exactly call him intimidating.

Whereas with Morra... well FFS, look at him! YOU try telling him he can't have his spot back! ...or his football, for that matter.

MORABITO%20Anthony.png

(Here's your ball Mr Morra - I was just watching it for you... ...no really - it's yours... ...and stop looking at me like that!)

...:p ;)

He could be a Stephen Hill clone, running it out of the back half and booming it to the advantage of runners streaming into the forward line. But obviously not the quality of Hill's kicking.. And, you'd probably want Hill to be the one to be bombing it to Mora streaming into to open goals putting up the don't argue to defenders on his tail.

I actually had the thought the other day that Duffield might be looking over his shoulder. I don't think Sutcliffe is going anywhere.
I love Duff and his precise kicking is really a weapon coming out of the back half but he has been one to get tapped out at times perhaps because of a perception that he is not as physical as some others in the back 6.
EDIT - I was responding to the post suggesting Mora might be considered for the back half which I don't think is likely, more as a general comment on whose position back there might be vulnerable when Ibbo is considered to come back.
I actually agree that Mora is far more likely to be groomed for a forward role.

I could see him playing Michael Johnson's role but our need for a forward is certainly greater at the moment.

If mora can start playing like he did in his debut year,he'll be playing in the midfield.But mora will have to be dominating for Peel firstly.

We pretty lucky to have the likes of mora,ibbo,Clarke,clancee,Sylvia and Simpson all running around in the magoos.

Where is Morabito's best position?

At 191cm's he could play 3rd tall either end, or is he best suited to a big bodied midfielder?

I found it interesting that in the WAFL he played 3rd tall in the back line.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-03-26/wafl-watch-round-1
Anthony Morabito 23 disposals (18 kicks, 5 handballs) 1 goal
It was Anthony’s first full WAFL game in some time. Anthony is building as the weeks are progressing on the training track and in games. He is playing in defence on tall forwards focusing on his starting points and giving us some strong rebound. It’s great to see him out there.

Where is Morabito's best position?

At 191cm's he could play 3rd tall either end, or is he best suited to a big bodied midfielder?

Morabito played HBF / third tall as a junior.

He played as a ruck rover / wing in his first year for Fremantle.

Before injuries he was groomed as a part forward part midfielder.

Personally the best I have seen is when he has been around the packs as a big bodied midfielder that lays bone jarring tackles and can break from the packs.

I think his most natural position is where he is being payed at the moment.

I would like to think that he could replace Pav as Sliceanddiced suggested, but there is no empirical evidence to suggest this would ever work - he doesn't have any runs on the board in this regard.

Morabito played HBF / third tall as a junior.

He played as a ruck rover / wing in his first year for Fremantle.

Before injuries he was groomed as a part forward part midfielder.

Personally the best I have seen is when he has been around the packs as a big bodied midfielder that lays bone jarring tackles and can break from the packs.

I think his most natural position is where he is being payed at the moment.

I would like to think that he could replace Pav as Sliceanddiced suggested, but there is no empirical evidence to suggest this would ever work - he doesn't have any runs on the board in this regard.
Did he not play as a part time KPF for WA U18s? I swear he did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back