Roast My feelings about Hawthorn losing the 2012 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you got to remember in 2010 the Cats still had Ling, J.Corey, Kelly, Selwood, Chapman, Bartel, Varcoe and Co. It was still one of the best midfields or perhaps the best going around at the time even without him.

Correct. But without Buddy in your forward line, it goes from the best in the league, to not really that frightening at all.

Of course. But it's common sense, if your best player leaves you won't be as good a side. It took a year for the effects of Ablett leaving to be felt at Geelong but the midfield really felt his absence last year. There are plenty of won't admit it too

We would have finished top 4 with Ablett this year. I have absolutely no doubt about that. Bloke is the best player in the comp. Take away that fact that if he stays, we would have had to lose a Wojo, Mackie, Stokes, etc. but if we didnt, you slot the best match winning midfielder back into our team and we win 3-4 more games.

Correct. But without Buddy in your forward line, it goes from the best in the league, to not really that frightening at all.
It makes them even more frightening. Imagine if you were a defender. Would it be scarier knowing that the opposition mids would opt to kick to one forward primarily, or would it be scarier knowing there are about 5 other guys who the mids can kick to that are all capable of 5-6 goals.

We would have finished top 4 with Ablett this year. I have absolutely no doubt about that. Bloke is the best player in the comp. Take away that fact that if he stays, we would have had to lose a Wojo, Mackie, Stokes, etc. but if we didnt, you slot the best match winning midfielder back into our team and we win 3-4 more games.
Don't even put Mackie in that bracket. He's easily become one of our most important players and had been the main general in defense in 2012.

And we wouldn't have gone top 4, because if he stayed, Christensen and Duncan would only be playing their first full season, we wouldn't have a tagger in T Hunt (who has been extremely underrated. Watch the last minutes of the Hawkins goal after the siren game to see how important he and Duncan are to the team), Smedts wouldn't even be here, Wojo would still be playing and we'd probably have to delist a few of our young players that helped contribute to the VFL premiership. Ablett doesn't make a team. He wouldn't have been the difference when we had/have so many aging players in the side. He wouldn't be able to count for a woeful Scarlett, a woeful Wojo, a woeful Corey, a woeful Stokes, a woeful Bartel, a woeful Podsiadly, an at times woeful Kelly. Most of all, it's good that Ablett left, because in hindsight we're free to test our young mids for the FUTURE, we're free to go after players in free agency so we can actually PAY for them, and we're free of players complaining about winning because it's apparently boring/repetitive. The players told him he was a sook in 2007, and you know what, he still is. I wouldn't want him leading our midfield, when brief camera footage has been shown of him hitting his own young GC teammate, and at the Brownlow, his own girlfriend. Don't ask for proof, it has been discussed on BF.

It makes them even more frightening. Imagine if you were a defender. Would it be scarier knowing that the opposition mids would opt to kick to one forward primarily, or would it be scarier knowing there are about 5 other guys who the mids can kick to that are all capable of 5-6 goals.

Hawthorn are more frightening without Franklin? You're joking right? Ask Harry Taylor or Tom Lonergan (that's just from Geelong) if they're more bothered by playing on Gunston or Franklin. It's not scarier to know the opposition might kick to different forwards. All teams do that. And they might have guys that are capable of kicking 5-6 goals - but it doesn't mean they do it on a regular basis. Because the fact is they don't.

And we wouldn't have gone top 4, because if he stayed, Christensen and Duncan would only be playing their first full season, we wouldn't have a tagger in T Hunt (who has been extremely underrated. Watch the last minutes of the Hawkins goal after the siren game to see how important he and Duncan are to the team), Smedts wouldn't even be here, Wojo would still be playing and we'd probably have to delist a few of our young players that helped contribute to the VFL premiership. Ablett doesn't make a team. He wouldn't have been the difference when we had/have so many aging players in the side. He wouldn't be able to count for a woeful Scarlett, a woeful Wojo, a woeful Corey, a woeful Stokes, a woeful Bartel, a woeful Podsiadly, an at times woeful Kelly. Most of all, it's good that Ablett left, because in hindsight we're free to test our young mids for the FUTURE, we're free to go after players in free agency so we can actually PAY for them, and we're free of players complaining about winning because it's apparently boring/repetitive. The players told him he was a sook in 2007, and you know what, he still is. I wouldn't want him leading our midfield, when brief camera footage has been shown of him hitting his own young GC teammate, and at the Brownlow, his own girlfriend. Don't ask for proof, it has been discussed on BF.

I have to ask, how do you know this? So if Ablett stays, apparently 4 young players wouldn't have had their opportunities, is that what you're saying? One player staying costs FOUR players a spot in the team? My maths isn't that strong but that doesn't add up to me. Because as far as I can see ONE player might have missed selection. But only one. And if had been say Stokes it wouldn't have made any difference. How do you know Smedts wouldn't be here? Wocjinski would be just as finished now as if Ablett was around, same with Scarlett. Doesn't make any difference at all.

Duncan was at the club in 2010 and played alongside Ablett. The reason he and Taylor Hunt and Menzel weren't picked in 2010 when it mattered (i.e. finals) was because of Thompson's misguided loyalty to his favourites (Corey, Stokes). Had absolutely nothing to do with Ablett.

Couldn't disagree more on the final part, I'd love to have him leading our midfield. Because he's the best player in the competition by a mile. Would make our team stronger, much stronger. But he isn't, so we move on and develop others. But to act like he alone held back an entire group of young players is ridiculous.

On the contrary I think he's allowed to stray a little to far from goal,I always feel more comfortable watching him chasing kicks up the ground.

I feel more comfortable when he tries to outbody Taylor or Lonergan instead of getting on his bike and running them ragged. I doubt there's a defender in the league who can keep up with him pace wise. If I was coaching the Hawks, I'd leave him one out in the forward 50 and watch him go to work. Would be heaps of defenders having nightmares having to match up on Buddy in that scenario.

I feel more comfortable when he tries to outbody Taylor or Lonergan instead of getting on his bike and running them ragged. I doubt there's a defender in the league who can keep up with him pace wise. If I was coaching the Hawks, I'd leave him one out in the forward 50 and watch him go to work. Would be heaps of defenders having nightmares having to match up on Buddy in that scenario.

If I see the ball coming down with him one-out in the F50 on a tall defender, I start to worry.
If the ball then goes to ground, it's panic stations.:eek:

Hawthorn are more frightening without Franklin? You're joking right? Ask Harry Taylor or Tom Lonergan (that's just from Geelong) if they're more bothered by playing on Gunston or Franklin. It's not scarier to know the opposition might kick to different forwards. All teams do that. And they might have guys that are capable of kicking 5-6 goals - but it doesn't mean they do it on a regular basis. Because the fact is they don't.
They don't do it on a regular basis because the mids are usually kicking it to Buddy. As a full back in my local women's team, I can assure you that the opposition is scarier when they have and actually use more options.

I have to ask, how do you know this? So if Ablett stays, apparently 4 young players wouldn't have had their opportunities, is that what you're saying? One player staying costs FOUR players a spot in the team?
If Ablett stayed, it would have meant that 2012 would be Bundy's and Duncan's first full season. Ablett is the equivalent of both of them and probably some. I didn't say they'd miss their opportunities, they'd get it, just later than they should have. Ling could have gone on a couple more seasons with the improving and increasing midfield support from Ablett, leaving Poodle out. And we wouldn't have picked up Smedts because he was part of the Ablett compensation.

Wocjinski would be just as finished now as if Ablett was around, same with Scarlett. Doesn't make any difference at all.
Well done, that's EXACTLY what I'm saying. Regardless of whether Ablett was around or not, we wouldn't have finished top 4 last year, because we had so many aging players.

can you believe they carded me for this following picture :(

lakeg.jpg

Hay boys , while your on the topic of culture , anyone here concerned about the backlash that may come your way from the fall out at Bomber land ? ....didn't the bloke in the middle of all this come over from Geelong , or have I got the wrong bloke ?

Hay boys , while your on the topic of culture , anyone here concerned about the backlash that may come your way from the fall out at Bomber land ? ....didn't the bloke in the middle of all this come over from Geelong , or have I got the wrong bloke ?

Two spelling mistakes, a mixed metaphor and 2 punctuation errors in 3 lines.
To answer your questions, no, James Hird has never had anything to do with Geelong, and yes, you have the wrong bloke.
Are you sure you have the right place?
Did you forget to get off at Camberwell?

:)
Two spelling mistakes, a mixed metaphor and 2 punctuation errors in 3 lines.
To answer your questions, no, James Hird has never had anything to do with Geelong, and yes, you have the wrong bloke.
Are you sure you have the right place?
Did you forget to get off at Camberwell?
Lol ....one of the better deflection's I have seen , non the less I stand corrected , although I wasn't ref to Bomber Thompson ;)

:) ...
Lol ....one of the better deflection's I have seen , non the less I stand corrected , although I wasn't ref to Bomber Thompson ;)

That's a running total of 5 spelling mistakes, 5 punctuation errors, a mixed metaphor and a ninja edit correcting "correct" to "corrected", all in fewer than 4 lines.
Unfortunately, your post is still completely unintelligible.
If you have something pertinent to say or ask, spit it out.
I think it's also only fair to warn you that some people on this Board may take it amiss when a Hawthorn supporter takes Darren Milburn's name in vain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel more comfortable when he tries to outbid Taylor or Logan instead of getting on his bike and running them ragged. I doubt there's a defender in the league who can keep up with him pace wise. If I was coaching the Hawks, I'd leave him one out in the forward 50 and watch him go to work. Would be heaps of defenders having nightmares having to match up on Buddy in that scenario.
I can't understand why Clarkson can't see that but we have benefited from it on occasions, not complaining,also as an observation I thought Buddy was as good as I've seen him in a long time in the second half of last year above his head,that's a worry.

you are lucky you have the support of Hawthorn mods all over this website because we do similar on the Hawthorn board....straight red card!

I don't understand why there are many mods/admins that barrack for the piss and poo on this board.

The vast majority of them are bandwagoners with little to no knowledge of football but for some reason the site owners have a thing for them.They're the worst candidates for impartial adjudicators on a football related board.

Could be because of compomising pics in their possession I suppose.

Opposition supporters: This is not your board. You are free to post here but you are not allowed to deliberately provoke Geelong supporters. Please tread carefully.
Deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back