My take on the NAB game and the list

Remove this Banner Ad

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Firstly, I preface this by say that my view of yesterday, although buoyant, doesn't really take in account the fact that the opposition were horribly undermanned and I reseve the right to change my view of everyone when faced with a more mature bodied opponent. I also said we should be into Todd Elton and I stand by that. Also Richmond have no future if they're their kids. I'll do this by player:

1. Jarrad Grant
I must be seeing something else with this boy. I farking love him. Every time he touches the ball, something good happens. I understand that he probably needs to do more of it, but his ability to create by simply thinking about the game differently separates him from the majority of the comp. I'd love to see him with confidence and 22 games under his belt.

2. Bob Murphy
Looks to have had a good summer and lost nothing. Was a class above and kicked the ball beautifully.

3. Mitch Wallis
My views on him are well known. Slow, bad kick, but fiercely determined and wants to be someone, which will take him a long way. Libba out helps him have a more important role in the middle. His opportunity is now.

4. Marcus Bontempelli
This boy is a freak. Everything he does oozes class. His is a great example of a great natural sportsman who could play any sport and we're just fortunate he chose footy and even more fortunate Dally chose him. Inspired. The boy is an utter star. He kicks the ball properly, it doesn't float, he handballs correctly, he covers the ground well, he's just awesome. I'm renaming him "the Package" because he is the full package.

5. Matthew Boyd
Fair to say I'm not his biggest fan, but he performed a role that worked. Handball before kick, kick to space, not to a leading player and he is functional and a positive asset. I fear he ends up back in the middle though.

6. Luke Dahlhaus
Reckon he's a kid who only peaks when there's something to play for. He's laconic about life and that shone through yesterday. Had good energy but not may tackles and went through the motions a lot of the day. I'd think and expect a different Luke in Rd 1.

7. Lachie Hunter
He's a natural footballer. You'll hear that a couple of times here but he's a good thinker about football but I've always said his kicking is poor and it shone out again yesterday. I'll forgive him first time out but it is something he really needs to fix because it puts a ceiling on his grading in the game. He's got a good step and footy brain though.

9. Jake Stringer
I wasn't as negative on his game as others. He competed hard and tried, but it wasn't his day. With the bulk of forward entries targeted at Boyd and Redpath (seemingly) he needs to find his spot in the forward line now. If it were up to me, I'd tell Bontempelli and Stringer to just go where the ball goes because their natural ability will lead to good things for the team. He'll come good, he looked great physically.

10. Easton Wood
Had a great game. Another like Bonts who is a natural sportsman. You call tell his general ball skills are far superior to others. He catches it cleanly, his kicking was good and he looked great physically. Just a lock for 22 games now if he keeps that up.

11. Jack Macrae
So creative, so elusive, so not suited to windy conditions. Love him, kid's a star accumulator. Won't be the match winner the others will be but he'll be really important moving forward. You can't have enough players who get 35 touches every week. His kicking is still soft - the ball spins too much and I doubt that can be fixed. So I'd better just shut up and accept it.

13. Nathan Hrovat
Went ok but didn't see enough. Still like the kid.

17. Tom Boyd
Boy oh boy wowee. I dedicated a thread to him so I'll go easy. He's better than I thought he was. He's more mobile, more agile and better below his knees. He kicks the ball straight and he competes. He's also got swagger and he knows he's good. Hawkins? Pfft, twice as good. Will be a star.

21. Tom Liberatore
Pass out of respect

22. Mitch Honeychurch
Knows how to play. Kicks it well. Foot speed ok. Tackles well. Small forward anyone? There's a lot of competition for his preferred role, but I suspect he'll be a contributor over the next few years.

23. Jordan Roughead
He was pretty good. The revised backline plan I mentioned a couple of weeks ago is a godsend for him because it leaves his leg speed less exposed and allows him to be a spoiler. Spent time forward but will never be convinced he has any idea how to play forward. 6'8" with some skill. How can he fail?

25. Koby Stevens
He played his role, which is all we can ask. Wasn't overly productive and didn't have a huge influence on the game but his strength and hardness is important. Whether it's in the 1s, 2s or in between, only time will tell.

27. Will Minson
Needs something to play for. Just went through the motions. Calls for his axing are HUGELY premature. He looks fit, which is a good start and he's a guy who just keeps going and going, so judging him on early season form is fraught with danger.

28. Josh Prudden
This is one of the few times I've seen him and probably the first time I've judged him. Clearly knows how to play, he's tough and he's a nice kick. His leg speed is a concern though and I also don't know where he fits, ie where his best spot is.

29. Tory Dickson
He's never going to be a fan favourite because of the apparent undeserved swagger he rolls with, but he is a footballer. If nothing else, he's a natural footballer. He can mark it, he finds space and he kicks the ball very straight. He's in the team for mine. You can't have enough people who don't waste opportunities. Make others like Hunter take the spot off him. Make them improve.

30. Joel Hamling
My first look at him. Obviously desperately underweight for the role he's going to be needed to play. BUT he's agile and he's got good balance. Kicks it just ok - effective yesterday but I'll have another look at him under AFL pressure and see where it's at. There's something to work with but he's not in the 18 yet.

32. Michael Talia
On the surface he played well. And he did. Against weak opposition. I just can't get that first mark out of my head though. Unopposed he s**t himself and spilled a sitter. It's this that has me worried. If it's just confidence, great, play him the first 19 rounds and see how he goes. But he's still robotic. He's got as good a frame for footy as you could get, but he's the opposite of Bonts, Grant etc, he is a manufactured sportsman. He's not natural at all. I still have reservations that I know most of you don't share.

38. Dale Morris
Meh, didn't do much. Looked fit, ran ok. No worries, move on.

39. Jason Johannisen
Did what he does, ran quickly, got the hand off, and either butchered the ball or kicked it ok. There's no middle ground with him. If it was all highlights he'd be a star, but it's not. He has a lot to work on to play the role we need. He can't be streaming out of the backline, off his man and butchering it because it'll come back over his head at a million miles an hour. Has all the attributes, just needs to be more reliable and consistently effective.

42. Liam Picken
Looked a bit rusty and not sure half forward is his natural spot but not going to second guess the coach just yet. His attitude and dogmatic play never goes astray and he's still in my 18. He's one of my first picked because he's consistent.

43. Jack Redpath
To all the Jack fans, and I know there are dozens of you, I may owe you an apology in about 2 months. Not sure what it was, but it looked like the penny dropped. He looked like he belonged. His fitness looked much better. He's got good hands, he's supremely aggressive and he kicks straight. Group these with a sense of belonging and you have a recipe for success. I'll just make sure he can back up that effort against good opposition, but yesterday was a good start.

46. Lin Jong
Has all the attributes, determination, speed, aggression, strength etc to be successful. His kicking has improved but is iffy under proper heat. However, these are things that can be built on. He's on the fringe but he did well yesterday.

Discuss.

Last edited:
Hunter and JJ did not show much, in fact reckon i was more impressed with JJ when he played in an intra club match a few years ago; lachie has the footy smarts but so does Mitch and i prefer the latter kicking for goal and to positions on the WO. Even with Libba gone, hope Moyd stays down back and others are played in the middle. When fit, Dickson adds a lot and seems a natural to replace Gia.

In the warmup did anyone else think that Bonti resembled an ex captain whose name i cannot type or was i confused by my failing eyesight?

If Grant has a solid year this year and looks good, I'd still be very weary giving him a 2-3 year contract after the last one... worrying if he only shines every contract year. 1 year extension only, if he earns one.

Think Hunter needs to hit the 2s again. He was fan-bloody-tactic playing up on a forward flank for the seagulls. Kids a player but I get the feeling he has bonded so far up stringers backside he has developed the attitude before the skills have been honed. Absolute talent if he can focus and do the hard work. I'm scared he won't as it would be a travesty. Hope the drink is the right guy to get his head into gear.

I'm right onboard the big red train. He's aggressive, he's got himself some agility from somewhere and he's scary as hell. I think we may have found a very decent foil for Boyd and Stringer. If nothing else I think he'll knock a few defenders flying and make them think twice about getting in front of him. What a unit he is - excited to follow him this year.

Think Hunter needs to hit the 2s again. He was fan-bloody-tactic playing up on a forward flank for the seagulls. Kids a player but I get the feeling he has bonded so far up stringers backside he has developed the attitude before the skills have been honed. Absolute talent if he can focus and do the hard work. I'm scared he won't as it would be a travesty. Hope the drink is the right guy to get his head into gear.

I'm right onboard the big red train. He's aggressive, he's got himself some agility from somewhere and he's scary as hell. I think we may have found a very decent foil for Boyd and Stringer. If nothing else I think he'll knock a few defenders flying and make them think twice about getting in front of him. What a unit he is - excited to follow him this year.

His fly for the mark when he took out Vlaustin was awesome. Defenders will start to second guess dropping back into the hole with him and boyd coming streaming out of the goal square.

46. Lin Jong
Has all the attributes, determination, speed, aggression, strength etc to be successful. His kicking has improved but is iffy under proper heat. However, these are things that can be built on. He's on the fringe but he did well yesterday.

Discuss.

Jong, on a couple of occasions, was the initiator of a string of handballs (or kicks) that resulted in a genuine shot on goal. He is super quick with his hands - too quick at times as he catches players sometimes out of position - but what he does is allow us to get out of the round in circle backwards handball play. So not only can he break free himself but he can set in motion the process for others to break free from stoppages. That seems to be one of his designated roles.

I thought he drifted in and out of the game, as others did. I don't know if going missing is a fitness issue, or whether he was playing different roles where he didn't see as much action (such as negating) or whether he genuinely finds it hard to stay involved.

Good analysis but have to disagree with Talia not being a natural footballer. Reads the game very well, doesn't get led to the ball but reacts first and tries to win it himself. If you're talking about his kicking, then that's another thing.

The other thing that stands out (no surprise) is how many have question over kicking skills. Hamling another new addition to the long list.

Agreed - massive fan of Grant still. Hope he has a good season playing half forward/wing.

If Hamling had a better kick on him, I could see him play a bit of a Murphy role down back as the creative type.
I don't think he could play on smalls though. Picken has done that, but is playing forward this year it seems.

Agree 100% on Dickson. He is very consistent and kicks goals. Is also tough to match up on. Good one on one and good on the lead.

Jong, on a couple of occasions, was the initiator of a string of handballs (or kicks) that resulted in a genuine shot on goal. He is super quick with his hands - too quick at times as he catches players sometimes out of position - but what he does is allow us to get out of the round in circle backwards handball play. So not only can he break free himself but he can set in motion the process for others to break free from stoppages. That seems to be one of his designated roles.

I thought he drifted in and out of the game, as others did. I don't know if going missing is a fitness issue, or whether he was playing different roles where he didn't see as much action (such as negating) or whether he genuinely finds it hard to stay involved.
Considering it was the first 'serious' hitout for the season, I thought Jong did really well. He broke lines with his pace and was able to create options.
His one big issue still is that he is not a natural footballer. Sometimes when he got into space he had more time than he thought and seemed to over analyse his options (kick, handball, keep running).
He could have kicked a couple of goals in the first half if he had of kicked straight and backed himself in rather than looking to offload.
Given Libba's injury, the midfield needs some extra grunt and I personally would prefer a year of Jong, Wallis, Smith etc to develop rather than just filling in Moyd to see us through. Doesn't really achieve anything long term and that is what this year should be about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

improvement in Redpath was coming. Anyone that watched VFL last year were watching a player well and truly on the up. Fitness , maturity and confidence was all he needed, the ability was always there.
But now he has to take the next giant step !

I'm not so sure with Grant. From where I was sitting the couple of times I saw him get it he lacked urgency & awareness which broke down potential scoring chains.

He is very smooth & creative in that Steve Johnson way that allows SJ to be a little laconic at times, but he is not Stevie J and he does get caught out in the high intensity moments.

Happy to put yesterday down as practice match laziness, but if he continues to play at less than 100% intensity he will always be too much of a liability.

Considering it was the first 'serious' hitout for the season, I thought Jong did really well. He broke lines with his pace and was able to create options.
His one big issue still is that he is not a natural footballer. Sometimes when he got into space he had more time than he thought and seemed to over analyse his options (kick, handball, keep running).
He could have kicked a couple of goals in the first half if he had of kicked straight and backed himself in rather than looking to offload.
Given Libba's injury, the midfield needs some extra grunt and I personally would prefer a year of Jong, Wallis, Smith etc to develop rather than just filling in Moyd to see us through. Doesn't really achieve anything long term and that is what this year should be about.
My favourite thing about Jong on Saturday was he hit the clearances at full speed & was grabbing the ball cleanly.
It will make him hard to stop & will draw the opposition, freeing up other players.

Wrapped with the progress of our rookie elevations.

And one last observation on Talia- the kid looks so much more confident going for the spoil rather than the mark. It's like he gets too worried about stuffing up and then does.

I seem to remember Brian Harris running around for a season or 2 punching everything, before becoming one of the competitions elite intercept markers.

Maybe we should let Talia get his confidence up with his positioning and timing first then worry about his offensive game?

In the warmup did anyone else think that Bonti resembled an ex captain whose name i cannot type or was i confused by my failing eyesight?

Those two runs from the half back flank in the first and third quarters I saw the same thing. His power and speed seem to have improved even further. He is a seriously powerful and classy unit. Probably my favourite part of the day. Although I also really enjoyed Redders looking like he belonged out there and the lead and crunching of Vlastuin.

Those two runs from the half back flank in the first and third quarters I saw the same thing. His power and speed seem to have improved even further. He is a seriously powerful and classy unit. Probably my favourite part of the day.

Agreed - he's deceptively quick through the first few metres and moves very smoothly...

Can anyone gif redpath cleaning up vlaustuin?

A big hidden bonus about Redpath (those in the VFL would know), is that he very frequently 'phucks' people up when making a run for a mark or a loose ball. It is awesome to watch.

Can anyone gif redpath cleaning up vlaustuin?

A big hidden bonus about Redpath (those in the VFL would know), is that he very frequently 'phucks' people up when making a run for a mark or a loose ball. It is awesome to watch.

Redpath gives literally zero *s if you're in his way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back