Preview NAB Cup: Adelaide v Carlton - Friday March 8 @ AAMI 8.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs a full season in the VFL without the pressure of being the answer up forward. There are more experienced and fitter options who are ahead of Mitchell.

Fair enough I was just asking seems it seemed it could a good time for him to come in and just provide a contest with Rowe,Cas rested.

Fair enough I was just asking seems it seemed it could a good time for him to come in and just provide a contest with Rowe,Cas rested.
Don't think we were even taking it seriously with White a sub after playing forward last week. o_O;)

We got the big men through another game without them breaking down.

Doubt that you'll see Jamison going the torp in the real stuff. :thumbsu::D

Jacobs/Dangerfield/Thompson and Walker - without these 4 - they might not make top8 - with these 4 they are top8 - simple as that.

Great write up but I find that comment a bit unfair, take the best 4 players out of any side and it's probably the difference between making the 8 and not. What I'd give to have Tex at the blues :(

may have been said, but I am actually glad we didnt win tonight. We had a good showing without some really good players. Had a solid hit out and almost won a tight match intersate in March. i honestly never wanted the added pressure/hype of playing in and or winning the NAB grand final.

All is well for RND1

actually thought that given the players played and the missing that we did ok,,missed a key forward to knock it down..thats cas...the contest he creates is massive..30 points down..in comes carrots,scotland ,it made a difference.we closed the gap but didn't quiet make it.. its early doors and i think the personal management is key..bring on Bitchmond.. I reckon we'll do ok..

My round one 22 is pretty much finalised.

White, Jamison, Tuohy
Yarran, Henderson, Laidler
Lucas, Gibbs, Simpson
Judd, Walker, Garlett
Hampson, Casboult, Betts
Kreuzer, Murphy, Carrazzo
Armfield, Robinson, McLean, ???
Sub: Bell

I see round 1 as

FB: Duigan, Jamison, Laidler
HB: Yarran, Henderson, Scotland
C: Gibbs, Simpson, Carazzo
HF: Robinson, Casboult, Walker
FF: Garlett, Hampson, Betts
Ru: Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy
Int and Em: Mclean, Armfield, Lucas, White, Bell, Touhy, Dale.

I think White is going to finally have a breakout year being the roll on roll of guy for the rucks when forward, and covering the defensive side, I think Kreuzer is finally going to deliver everything we've hoped for in the last 4 years. I think Hampson is going to be huge. Laidler back into that side adds so much direction to the defence. A good run of injuries and we're in this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relaxed game next week please, no NAB GF!

In saying that though, very happy we didnt go through undefeated as we dont deal well with hype. We were obviously trolling with them playing a different game plan, picking three rucks, and no permanent target up forward

On a side note, as good as Dangerfield is, he needs to learn he cannot take on the field. He got caught 3 times tonight & I seem to remember him being run down in games against us in previous seasons.

I think you can tell Yazza that as well. He He gets caught so often. Just the way he gets caught is bloody frustrating, when trying to take someone he tries to run sideways, backwards, never runs straight and he inevitable gets caught.

I'm a bit worried about Yazza's output. It's not anywhere near where it needs to be for a player whose been in the system fro 4-5 years.

I'm not sure DEF is his best position. Hs accountability is questionable and he doesn't get involved enough for a player with so much talent. I know it's only NAB cup, but I am praying Mick can get the best out of him cos he has a lot of potential. But potential isn't a word we should using for Yazza considering he's been in the system for a while now.

henderson let Walker get miles from him at times, just seemed to have no touch or feel on him.
Hendo's form is a worry. Is it possible for McCarthy to push past him for round 1?

Mick doesn't strike me as the type to let players scrabble for form in the seniors for very long.

I was over the moon with last night. Thought there was some really good signs against a full strength crows outfit, who finished top 4 and were playing at home in hot conditions.

Want to see a bit more sharpness from yaz. Disp was a bit rusty and the opposition seem to be onto him taking them on. I think he needs to be smarter about deciding when to take off and when to just hit up a safe option wide. Still think he is on the cusp of being really damaging charging forward and following his kicks up the ground.

Id like to see Jamo and hendo bring a bit more intensity come rd1.

Thought the crows showed a bit more desire to win the nab cup game, I couldn't have cared less about the result and just happy to have no injuries.

Whack Judd, Gibbs, a key forward in there, play them at home and we win by 8 goals.

I think you can tell Yazza that as well. He He gets caught so often. Just the way he gets caught is bloody frustrating, when trying to take someone he tries to run sideways, backwards, never runs straight and he inevitable gets caught.

I'm a bit worried about Yazza's output. It's not anywhere near where it needs to be for a player whose been in the system fro 4-5 years.

I'm not sure DEF is his best position. Hs accountability is questionable and he doesn't get involved enough for a player with so much talent. I know it's only NAB cup, but I am praying Mick can get the best out of him cos he has a lot of potential. But potential isn't a word we should using for Yazza considering he's been in the system for a while now.
I'm happy for Yazz to take them on. Not enough of it in our team. We need more of it.

Hendo's form is a worry. Is it possible for McCarthy to push past him for round 1?

Mick doesn't strike me as the type to let players scrabble for form in the seniors for very long.

Hendo started to get moving in the second half. Missing in the first.

That aside, I was very frustrated last night lack of a big forward cost is. Hammer is a great 2nd/3rd tall but we needed Cas, Rowe, or Waite.

big squidda kicked 4 goals and presented himself very well in the Northern Blues practice game against bendigo yesterday arvo though, good signs.

Henderson is just easing himself back after a very limited pre-season. I wouldn't be concerned about him at all.

We hit the contest extremely hard last week and I doubt that the instructions would have been to go as hard again.

Not a bad hit-out altogether and if we do miss out on the Final, then we may just see a game at Visy next week. :)

Whack Judd, Gibbs, a key forward in there, play them at home and we win by 8 goals.

Bit premature. Don't know if it's as easy as that. Crows finished top 4 last year and have one of the best contested possession / clearance winning midifelds in the comp. If you have that, then you will always be hard to beat. Whilst I don't think they have a good enough side to go all the way and match the likes of Hawks, Swans and Pies, they are difficult to beat at home when at full strength. Walker is an absolute beast. He could be the best forward in the comp if he wanted to be. Would love to have him at the Blues, he made Jammo look second rate last night and Hendo struggled when he went onto him as well. His kicking for goal is ridiculously good as well.

In saying that, I think this is a good sign that we have a bit more depth and when we are missing some key players, we have other guys who can stand up and have a crack and fight games out.

I think the big bodies of Judd, Gibbs and Bell could have made a huge difference last night. But I'd rather us manage our players at this time of the year. Clearly not having a Cas or Rowe up forward hurt because aside from Hammer we didn't have any tall guys who could crash packs and provide a contest. This is such a key aspect of our game. It makes our forward line so dangerous.

Suffice to say, I think we have shown enough in this preseason to suggest with a fit and healthy list, we should definitely finish in the 8.

I see round 1 as

FB: Duigan, Jamison, Laidler
HB: Yarran, Henderson, Scotland
C: Gibbs, Simpson, Carazzo
HF: Robinson, Casboult, Walker
FF: Garlett, Hampson, Betts
Ru: Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy
Int and Em: Mclean, Armfield, Lucas, White, Bell, Touhy, Dale.

I think White is going to finally have a breakout year being the roll on roll of guy for the rucks when forward, and covering the defensive side, I think Kreuzer is finally going to deliver everything we've hoped for in the last 4 years. I think Hampson is going to be huge. Laidler back into that side adds so much direction to the defence. A good run of injuries and we're in this.

Almost entirely agree with this line up Wookster. And your comment on White's versatility. But Scotland won't play. Therefore, Tuohy probably gets an opportunity.

Other comments:
Hampson has had a really good preseason. Great to see him holding his contested marks and really contributing. I think Hampson will be a better forward for us in 2013 now that Casboult has arrived. I think Hammer will play better as a second tall forward rather than the key target with expectations of kicking bags.

With rotations it is a bit academic, but all the same I would like to see how we fit Armfield and McLean in our starting 18. Both have been super impressive in the preseason generally and last night in particular. I would start Tuohy (in place of Scotland) on the bench. Second bench sitter possibly Duigan, his preseason is well below his best.

Back to last night's game. It certainly seemed like MM was testing the three ruck man theory, and also giving each of them a chance to display their comparative talents. There seems little evidence to support the three ruck theory. Warnock was the weaker of the three last night. But I have not given up on him. Injuries are an unfortunate part of life, and possibly player management, so he is likely to get his chance during the season.

While I accept there are disposal errors in Lucas' game, I think the upside outweighs the downside with Sugar. Many players have questions over their disposal including some of our regular 22. We can name names some other time. But Kane does enough good things to justify his place and I think that getting games into him at AFL level is the best way to work on this area of his game. As I have said previously, there are echoes of the McLean scenario where Brock was running amok at VFL and getting occasional games in the AFL under Ratten. My view was that Brock needed several games in succession to re-adjust to AFL level. Ratten's hand was forced by injury when Brock was subbed in early and has never looked back.

I think if we persist with Kane for several games then he will adjust to AFL level and be able to slow down his thinking with disposals. If Lucas delivers on his potential, then Carlton will have a very good, versatile player. The starting fixture with mostly strong opponents would make this a baptism of fire.

Final comment, I just love Armfield's work. It pleases me when a pick # 46 returns so well on our investment in him. We have a few of this ilk including Simpson and Garlett. Warms the heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back