Preview NAB Cup Carlton v Fremantle - Saturday March 2 @ Etihad 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

4?
I thought we only had 3 more.

Correct. My Apologies.
We generally have 4 weeks of practice type matches altogether, having now had one of them.

If we don't make the N.A.B. Grand Final, then we'll have the one practice match on that weekend, although if M.M. does feel that we need a bit more work, he may just pull an intra-club the weekend before the season starts. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I hope O'Keefe gets a decent run this week, I am keen to put a close eye on him. Still not convinced of the talent a lot of people around here think he has. Don't get me wrong I'd love to be proved wrong, just can't see it.
O'Keeffe still lacks agility after he was turned a couple of times, but I like his hardness and size around the packs. We need big bodies to ease the load on Judd and Murphy. The ball was knocked free for Gibbs to pounce on after he cracked in hard like Robinson. Potentially adds more Ellard who lacks Rhys' frame. Perhaps it was just the new clash strip, but Rhys' body shape appears to have changed after his first full pre-season. Looked a bit slimmer.

I am a big lucas supporter, but last pre-season he also looked the goods, so lets wait til the season start for him to prove his worth to the team. same goes for gibbs.

Saw a great run from Lucas on Wookie's replay of the Sydney game. Took off from our D50 and burnt off his opponent all the way to half forward only to kick the ball straight to a Swans defender.

Seems to be his footy story at the moment.

Definitely think he could play Yarran's role off HB allowing Yazz to play outside mid or HF but I think Lucas is a confidence player and needs an extended run to get confident in what he can contribute to the team.

Apart from the game plan we also need to narrow down on who of our big boys will be playing round 1 against the tigers, in the forward line, ruck and back line.

TBH I'd be really comfortable with Levi, Hammer and Waite for rnd 1 with Krueze in the middle. Both Rowe and 206 will get their chance but I think the above combo along with Jeffrey, Tex and Eddie floating between F50 and the middle, perhaps rotating with Gibbs or Robo will be a nightmare for Richmond.

For the back line, do we go with 3 talls? Does Watson get another crack? where does Hendo play? Do we rest Jamison or does he need more game time?

Three talls in the backline might be somewhat of a horse for courses where you would certainly consider it against the likes of West Coast but maybe not every team. I'd start the year with Hendo and Jamo for sure.

In terms of this weekend it looks like Pav may have a run so regardless I'd give Watson a run on him for this game. What better way to get some experience under his belt

not quite the right thread i know but can somebody tell me whether Bell can play in round 1 - i understand he is back on the rookie list ?!?!

Saw a great run from Lucas on Wookie's replay of the Sydney game. Took off from our D50 and burnt off his opponent all the way to half forward only to kick the ball straight to a Swans defender.

Definitely think he could play Yarran's role off HB allowing Yazz to play outside mid or HF but I think Lucas is a confidence player and needs an extended run to get confident in what he can contribute to the team.

You would also have seen him get the ball at half back look to handball, but see a better option,dummy the handball , run out of traffic and kick perfectly to space in front of Bell, who then kicked the supergoal.

Promising signs to me.

Lucas has had a few issues with ball use in the past, but I tend to think he's slowly improving. Eddie also doubled back behind his opponent just as Lucas kicked the ball, so perhaps it was more of a miscommunication between the two rather than entirely Lucas' poor skills

Lucas has had a few issues with ball use in the past, but I tend to think he's slowly improving. Eddie also doubled back behind his opponent just as Lucas kicked the ball, so perhaps it was more of a miscommunication between the two rather than entirely Lucas' poor skills

Sort of covering this in another thread but Lucas seems to be coming out of his shell and in a positive way.

It's noticeable on the track that the boys haven't been as timid about shouting out instructions to one another and engaging as a unit.

Lucas used the ball well and as the poster above suggested, Betts doubled back just at the wrong time.

Sugar's kick fell right into the hands of Bell who then roosted his super goal. Am becoming more sure that he'll at the very least, start the season in seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A half back flanker at Carlton?

Another dime-a-dozen flanker like Yarran wouldn't hurt...

TBH I'd be really comfortable with Levi, Hammer and Waite for rnd 1 with Krueze in the middle. Both Rowe and 206 will get their chance but I think the above combo along with Jeffrey, Tex and Eddie floating between F50 and the middle, perhaps rotating with Gibbs or Robo will be a nightmare for Richmond.

Yeah I agree with the talls you mentioned, that's assuming Waite is fit. If he's not 100% right to go I'd go with Rowe

In terms of this weekend it looks like Pav may have a run so regardless I'd give Watson a run on him for this game. What better way to get some experience under his belt

I know it's just a practice match but I haven't got much faith in Watson playing against Pav or similar forwards. Pav will run him round in circles. Think he's more suited to a Cloke or Hawkins type forward whereas Henderson is the go to guy for the more mobile forwards

Lucas used the ball well and as the poster above suggested, Betts doubled back just at the wrong time.

Sugar's kick fell right into the hands of Bell who then roosted his super goal. Am becoming more sure that he'll at the very least, start the season in seniors.
Sugar tends to drill passes at the wrong time a little though. There was an instance at the end I think of the swans game where he tried to drill a pass to player on the wing who was put under pressure, a nicely waited pass would have been to our advantage. his skills are good, just needs some more game time to catch the pace and sum up better situations better. The bell set up is a fine example of this, he got that perfect.

Do we feel like there is a bit of Jordan Russell about Kane Lucas, in that he has all the skills and attributes but his decision making/execution just lets him down too often. I feel like hes a make or break player and maybe its a confidence thing. I watched an interview on Dayne Beams and the main thing he attributed his break out year to was just the fact he had solidified a spot in the team and that confidence in continuity. Lucas needs nothing more than that opportunity. JR had that after making Stevie J his bitch, and he pulled it together for a year, and then it just went missing again.

Yeah I agree with the talls you mentioned, that's assuming Waite is fit. If he's not 100% right to go I'd go with Rowe

I know it's just a practice match but I haven't got much faith in Watson playing against Pav or similar forwards. Pav will run him round in circles. Think he's more suited to a Cloke or Hawkins type forward whereas Henderson is the go to guy for the more mobile forwards

Pagan once played Mckernan at fullback on Pavlich in 2002 while at Carlton. Anything is possible.

Do we feel like there is a bit of Jordan Russell about Kane Lucas, in that he has all the skills and attributes but his decision making/execution just lets him down too often. I feel like hes a make or break player and maybe its a confidence thing.

Sugar has the "looks" of a really good AFL player. My view is that he will go further than JR. He has shown glimpses of real talent - clearly he is capable of becoming part of our best 22. I think you are absolutely correct about the confidence thing. It is a little like Brock McLean when he was owning VFL games and falling short when played the occasional AFL game. When he was given full games in succession it all clicked again at AFL level. When the coaches consider Lucas is ready for AFL I think he should be given 3 or 4 full games to find his place. My bet is he will reward the faith in him.

I'll be watching him very closely against Freo to see if he continues to build on his promising start. I'd be happy to see him at HBF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back