Names on the back of jumpers - good or bad?

Names on jumpers?

• Good

Votes: 170 55.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 136 44.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No. She saw it on the screen. There was a close up after 3/4 time. They have them at the grounds too you know. Look. Up.

She sees maybe 1 afl game live per year. Shes 11. For her to notice it must have been pretty bloody obvious.

There is this blindness here that people know everything about every club. The players, their sexual orientation, their partners, who they were having coffee with on their days off.

There are a lot that dont. You know Geelong inside out. Me, i found out yesterday there is a Walker on geelongs list. Still dont have a clue what this walker looks like, or anything about him really. Except he exists.

You would have found that out anyway without the name becuase he was wearing Walker's number (you know, that thing we have used to identify players for 150 years!).

The dumbest thing I heard today was to make the numbers smaller so the names could be bigger which of course will make the number - currently the only thing readable form a distance - harder to read!!

I'm ok with the concept but it was executed pretty poorly.

1. The little abbreviations need to go - BBFFC, SMFC, CANBERRA, all that stuff. Well they don't need to go, but they need to be moved. If we're going to have names there they're taking up valuable real estate and make it all too crowded. I'd suggest on the chest, below or above the AFL logo, or in the centre. Or higher up toward the shoulder - the back is a s**t place anyway, the front is better a better spot.

2. Names need to be as big as possible. I don't expect to be able to read them during play, but they need to take up all available space and at least be easy to see without straining when you're just looking at the back.

I'm ok with the concept but it was executed pretty poorly.

1. The little abbreviations need to go - BBFFC, SMFC, CANBERRA, all that stuff. Well they don't need to go, but they need to be moved. If we're going to have names there they're taking up valuable real estate and make it all too crowded. I'd suggest on the chest, below or above the AFL logo, or in the centre. Or higher up toward the shoulder - the back is a s**t place anyway, the front is better a better spot.

2. Names need to be as big as possible. I don't expect to be able to read them during play, but they need to take up all available space and at least be easy to see without straining when you're just looking at the back.
A few different nods to the heritage of each club could make the abbreviations redundant anyway.
Brisbane wear the jumper they did before the Paddlepop monstrosity, Sydney wear the South Melbourne vee for every game in Victoria, the Bulldogs can just go back to being called Footscray and the Giants can ditch the half-assed Canberra front and put more effort into the area they're being given millions to build in.

A few different nods to the heritage of each club could make the abbreviations redundant anyway.
Brisbane wear the jumper they did before the Paddlepop monstrosity, Sydney wear the South Melbourne vee for every game in Victoria, the Bulldogs can just go back to being called Footscray and the Giants can ditch the half-assed Canberra front and put more effort into the area they're being given millions to build in.

The old South jumper (in unbastardised form) is an absolute belter of a footy jumper. Never understood why the Swans don't wear it more.

The old South jumper (in unbastardised form) is an absolute belter of a footy jumper. Never understood why the Swans don't wear it more.
A couple of their old jumpers are rippers - the red vee on white background and the red sash on the white background. Don't care much for their current jumper.
I actually really like South, even though I'm not old enough to have seen them in that form. Like the jumper, the name, the song and their old lakeside ground, even though it's a soccer ground now.

That is very clever

But I think the number played a part somewhat
I had no idea who number 34 was for Geelong, so it worked for me.

The only thing I don't get is there were some instances where a player with a 'common' last name (can't think of an example) had the first letter of their first name infront. I get this is important when looking at names on a team sheet, but is it really necessary when you are actually looking at the guy?

I had no idea who number 34 was for Geelong, so it worked for me.

The only thing I don't get is there were some instances where a player with a 'common' last name (can't think of an example) had the first letter of their first name infront. I get this is important when looking at names on a team sheet, but is it really necessary when you are actually looking at the guy?
Players with same last name on same team

I don't like the names on the jumpers.
Maybe if we had initials?
G.A. For Gary Ablett? I don't know.

I'm concerned that, if this goes ahead, they might downsize the numbers, where they are really the best means of identification at a distance. The names were great in close-ups, they made it a lot easier to evaluate how an unfamiliar player plays when you know which one they are. As for Hawkins' change of guernsey, Richmond had both Hampson and Arnot play without names after half time in the Thursday night game: the issue is that, for some reason, Geelong don't appear to have had a spare non-named guernsey available for the match.

As GG said, this was for players where they had a team-mate with the same surname - so "A.Hall" for Aaron Hall because of Josh Hall, "S.Thompson" for Scott Thompson (Adelaide) because of Luke Thompson.

Suspect the reason it's not worn in Sydney all that often is that St George have a pretty similar outfit (or did, before that was bastardised too). Love seeing it when they play down here though (and I'm not even an old "South" fan).

I quite liked it, actually.

If they are fair dinkum going forward, the name does need to be larger, which would result in reducing the size of the numbers a little bit, as well as some of the back of the neck abbreviations being reduced, moved (under the number?) or abandoned all together.

I hope they make it permanent next year, I really do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like it.
If you can't read it, who cares, as you are just as badly off then as you were with no name...
Except the size of the numbers look to be reduced about 20%, so they are harder to see too.

Suspect the reason it's not worn in Sydney all that often is that St George have a pretty similar outfit (or did, before that was bastardised too). Love seeing it when they play down here though (and I'm not even an old "South" fan).

Yeah fair enough, wouldn't expect them to wear it at home.

Surely it's a no brainer to wear it in Melbourne though.

Similarly Brisbane should wear the FFC jumper - monogram and all. Belter of a jumper.

Yeah fair enough, wouldn't expect them to wear it at home.

Surely it's a no brainer to wear it in Melbourne though.

Similarly Brisbane should wear the FFC jumper - monogram and all. Belter of a jumper.
Sydney's home jumper should be all red with a white V --- as in all red front and back and red shorts and socks and the V is not cut out opera house and is a V not a demons yoke.

Sydney's away jumper should be all white with red V like the old south Melbourne.

And every now and then away they can roll out the sash design.

And all that should be something that lives in perpetuity without any tinkering.

Sydney's home jumper should be all red with a white V --- as in all red front and back and red shorts and socks and the V is not cut out opera house and is a V not a demons yoke.

Sydney's away jumper should be all white with red V like the old south Melbourne.

And every now and then away they can roll out the sash design.

And all that should be something that lives in perpetuity without any tinkering.

Nothing wrong with the Sydney home jumper IMO.

I actually hoped we'd wear the white with red sash as our clash jumper - instead we got *in grey.

So 48% of fans liking it = fans backing names on jumpers?

GG AFL.
You falsely assume that the other 52% are all against it and that there aren't some who are neutral to any change

The most heavily scrutinised and thoroughly spellchecked named footy jumper ever ? :p

Bpk-CBGCYAIc7F8.jpg

Back