Names on the back of jumpers - good or bad?

Names on jumpers?

• Good

Votes: 170 55.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 136 44.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I'm concerned if you need the names you're not a true fan and just a bandwagoner :rolleyes:
What a ridiculous statement.
It's more a case of people just protest change for the sake of it.
"White guernseys? What is this s**t?"
"His shorts are too big! It's not basketball!"
"Skin tight guernseys, what a joke!"

And countless other changes that have no effect on the game and that people don't care about anymore.

How bout putting that energy into protesting crappy rule changes that actually ARE affecting the game?

Yeah but what happens when a player retires?!

What do you mean? The next player comes along and has his name above the number.

I think retiring makes it even more special, for instance if I have my 2015 PENDLEBURY 10 jumper, and in 15 years when he's out of the game and there is a new #10 I can make a point of showing all the young whipper snappers who the real number 10 was.

Then I can be all crotchety and whiney like all the people complaining about 'tradition breaking' in this thread!

Didn't know that the Record delivered to the computer desk I watch the footy livestreams from.

Or y'know, I could save $10 and not buy something because the names are there.
Too bad you can't see them.

Anyway, isn't the identification of names the reason that we have commentators?

Okay, let's be honest - we know it's mainly marketing motivated move by the AFL. They know names on jumpers will result in more money.

The view that fans should simply know players by their number and should watch more if they don't is an uneducated one. Ask the average person from NSW or QLD and they would really struggle to name five players (in any team) by their number. I hate to break it to anyone that doesn't know this but nearly half the Australian population lives in QLD and NSW.

The breaking tradition argument is a bit silly also. The game is constantly changing and it will continue to change whether you like it or not. Would putting names on the back of jumpers result in a loss of fans? Highly doubtful.

The Record wasn't distributed to my living room tonight. Being a neutral game I don't know all the players on both teams. I was hoping the names on the jumpers would help learn the names and numbers combinations, but it was too small to make a difference, and not enough close up shots to make up for it.

More like use my phone, who in their right mind is paying $5-10 for a record these days. Didn't they use to be like $2?
Cool, do that.

Because you sure cant see the names at the ground or on the TV.

Didn't know that the Record delivered to the computer desk I watch the footy livestreams from.

Or y'know, I could save $10 and not buy something because the names are there.

Or you could go to any amount of websites that have the players numbers listed.

Only the casual part time fans have regular issues identifying players anyway.

don't like it, it only works for TV while zoomed in, letters far too small for people to be able to read from the bleachers..

What a ridiculous statement.
It's more a case of people just protest change for the sake of it.
"White guernseys? What is this s**t?"
"His shorts are too big! It's not basketball!"
"Skin tight guernseys, what a joke!"

And countless other changes that have no effect on the game and that people don't care about anymore.

How bout putting that energy into protesting crappy rule changes that actually ARE affecting the game?
I was taking the piss.

Not protesting for the sake of it. It's something unique about the game, like the bounce and the bump, neither of which I want to see gone.

I see it as having no purpose at all, it's not for spectators, the names can't be seen at the ground, it's not for those watching TV, they can't be seen on TV either and god have mercy on us all when they TRY to get names in the shot for cinematic slow-mo's etc!

It doesn't make the game more accessible, the game is the same, they've made the jumpers look tacky and cheap imo and they don't care about what people think, they'll bring it in regardless, just like they do with the rule changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or you could go to any amount of websites that have the players numbers listed.

Only the casual part time fans have regular issues identifying players anyway.

If you think that people who don't want to or can't memorise in excess of 800 names and their corresponding numbers don't deserve to be able to follow the sport, I really don't give a s**t what your opinion on this is.

(And yes, Google searches are very useful, but not as useful as having the name there where you're already looking)

Okay, let's be honest - we know it's mainly marketing motivated move by the AFL. They know names on jumpers will result in more money.

The view that fans should simply know players by their number and should watch more if they don't is an uneducated one. Ask the average person from NSW or QLD and they would really struggle to name five players (in any team) by their number. I hate to break it to anyone that doesn't know this but nearly half the Australian population lives in QLD and NSW.

The breaking tradition argument is a bit silly also. The game is constantly changing and it will continue to change whether you like it or not. Would putting names on the back of jumpers result in a loss of fans? Highly doubtful.
Then:
"What's on TV tonight? .. oh Aussie Rules ... ohhh no I have no idea who these people are, what else is on?"

Now:
"What's on TV tonight? .. oh Aussie Rules ... ohhh if I wait for the replay I'll know who kicked that goal, I'll watch this sport forever now!"

They're not going to watch a sport because they know the names. Nobody would watch half the Olympic events if this were the case. How do you think soccer fans learn players names? From the jumper?
No, it's from commentary and what they look like, their gait, height, strength, kicking style etc.

I don't understand shooting down the 'tradition' argument without having an opposing argument that makes sense. Yes, it will change regardless, doesn't mean people need to be happy about it.

If you think that people who don't want to or can't memorise in excess of 800 names and their corresponding numbers don't deserve to be able to follow the sport, I really don't give a s**t what your opinion on this is.

(And yes, Google searches are very useful, but not as useful as having the name there where you're already looking)

You cant see the name of a player on the near side of the ground let alone the far side on tv. Don't try and suggest its a revelation for providing a players name to spectators. Suggesting their name is where you're already looking doesn't wash as a reason for them being on jumpers.

I was taking the piss.

Not protesting for the sake of it. It's something unique about the game, like the bounce and the bump, neither of which I want to see gone.

I see it as having no purpose at all, it's not for spectators, the names can't be seen at the ground, it's not for those watching TV, they can't be seen on TV either and god have mercy on us all when they TRY to get names in the shot for cinematic slow-mo's etc!

It doesn't make the game more accessible, the game is the same, they've made the jumpers look tacky and cheap imo and they don't care about what people think, they'll bring it in regardless, just like they do with the rule changes.
There was a poll during the game on whether people liked names on the back, around 65% said yes. If it's brought in, saying 'they don't care what people think' is kind of invalid. I agree on them not caring when it comes to the rules.
This is a TRIAL round. Clearly the names were a bit too small and probably a bit too bold. I'm sure that'll get fixed up and in years to come, people protesting it now won't even care or take much notice of it.
I'm all for it, but if they decide not to bring it in that's fine too. I'm not gonna sit here and go "Guernseys looks ridiculous without names!".

Btw, one Richmond guy didn't have a name on his back (don't know who it was, name would've helped) and when he was getting around his team mates after a goal, not having a name on that guernsey looked really weird.

Didn't really work tonight, too hard to see the names except in close-up shots. The idea, in principle, is sound, but there'd need to be an increase in the size of the name to make it work in terms of visibility; I'd be okay with this so long as it doesn't render the number a size that becomes difficult to discern (the names were useful tonight in allowing me to remember that Gordon was #39, Taylor #32, &c.).

Btw, one Richmond guy didn't have a name on his back (don't know who it was, name would've helped) and when he was getting around his team mates after a goal, not having a name on that guernsey looked really weird.

Both Arnot and Hampson were in guernseys lacking names for at least part of the match - I think it was Arnot (#44?).

You cant see the name of a player on the near side of the ground let alone the far side on tv. Don't try and suggest its a revelation for providing a players name to spectators. Suggesting their name is where you're already looking doesn't wash as a reason for them being on jumpers.

I'm currently watching a 576p rip of the game and can see players names in a good 25% of vision. It could be improved, certainly, but as there's no legitimate arguments against it (apart from "waaaaah change"), that's still a net win.

I'm currently watching a 576p rip of the game and can see players names in a good 25% of vision. It could be improved, certainly, but as there's no legitimate arguments against it (apart from "waaaaah change"), that's still a net win.
So "I personally see nothing against it, therefore it must be a brilliant idea that should be implemented"?

Nothing to do with change. All to do with it looks ******* shithouse and is just another rubbish scheme to bleed more money from the fans.

Oh, and everyone saying tradition is a stupid argument, what are your thoughts on introducing the super goal to the H&A season? It'd attract new fans! Nothing against it except "waa tradition"! Let's do it!

Back