National Champs Results

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Game One

Northern Territory 0.0 4.5 7.9 9.12 (66)

Western Australia 2.5 3.8 5.13 11.14 (80)

GOALS
Northern Territory: Tipungwuti 3, Turner 2, Stafford 2, Collinson, Stokes 
Western Australia: Williams 2, Coniglio 2, Peters 2, Hamling 2, Eardley, Taylor, O'Meara

BEST

Northern Territory: Egger, Tipungwuti, Collinson, Turner, R Smith, Wilson

Western Australia: O'Meara, Coniglio, Hamling, Newman, Taylor

Comments

Coniglio (likely first pick) and OMeara (the 17yo a lot of clubs are hunting GWS for) were best for WA along with the other bottom ager in Shannon Taylor. Young fella Eggar who has also played for NT Thunder and shows a heap of potential was NT best. Also good to see Tipu get amongst it as well.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/115043/default.aspx

Looking forward to see how Tasmania go. They beat the league leading Sandringham a few weeks ago and absolutely flogged Oakliegh on the weekend 19:10 - 124 to 0:9 - 9.

Looks to be Tassie's best team in a long time?

A lot. If the kid was available for this years draft I am sure he would be top 3-5 at least. Think of it in those terms. Given that I am not sure what WCE would have that would seal it. A selection of average players isnt going to do it either. It will have to be an extremely good 22-25yo I would think. Its going to be very competitive as well.

i dont really see them that keen on draft picks when they have so many this year.

compo picks will be very valuable in trades with gws or gc. anyone currently holding these specifically high ones will have the edge in any of these 17yr old trades.

also any club that loses kids to gws and gains compo picks with that.

agree they will be after guys in the 20-25 age bracket, but can get them uncontracted this year or next year so why do they have to trade??? maybe if they are looking at 2 guys from one club, again the club has more bargaining power and has currency in a trade with gws.

Only 14 points? I would have thought NT would be pretty happy with that.

I watched the game on territoryfc.com.au and it was just a great game of footy. I'm sure many would have predicted WA by 100 points or so. The NT had a heap of guys go down with cramp in the last quarter, but regardless WA were just to good in the end.

Anyone know where we can get the match stats?

Looking forward to see how Tasmania go. They beat the league leading Sandringham a few weeks ago and absolutely flogged Oakliegh on the weekend 19:10 - 124 to 0:9 - 9.

Looks to be Tassie's best team in a long time?

It has to be said, Tassie were playing Sandringham less a number of players who had commitments to school football.

That said though, as a Tasmanian, I'm pretty excited about this lot. Jimmy Webster, Henry Schade, Julian Dobosz & John McKenzie are all very solid players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coniglio (likely first pick)

More and more likely Coniglio will pick AFL over Cricket I think.

WACA are only offering Coniglio the rookie contract to keep him from the AFL because they are worried about losing another player that may have been something to another code.

Interesting with Coniglio, the fact that he would basically be going to GWS surely is the sticking point. Family desperate to keep him in WA I hear!

i dont really see them that keen on draft picks when they have so many this year.

compo picks will be very valuable in trades with gws or gc. anyone currently holding these specifically high ones will have the edge in any of these 17yr old trades.

also any club that loses kids to gws and gains compo picks with that.

agree they will be after guys in the 20-25 age bracket, but can get them uncontracted this year or next year so why do they have to trade??? maybe if they are looking at 2 guys from one club, again the club has more bargaining power and has currency in a trade with gws.

As Snoop stated it will have to be a very good player. Also GWS dont want 3 average players as a trade - As it fills up their list - Better to have 4 good players as opposed to 12 average players.

Interesting with Coniglio, the fact that he would basically be going to GWS surely is the sticking point. Family desperate to keep him in WA I hear!

He'd only have to stay for his first contract though and after he could just move back to WA. 1/2 years away from his family wouldn't kill him if he's serious about his football career.

He'd only have to stay for his first contract though and after he could just move back to WA. 1/2 years away from his family wouldn't kill him if he's serious about his football career.

The very nice pay rise he'll get after his first 2 years at GWS should ease his worries.

The very nice pay rise he'll get after his first 2 years at GWS should ease his worries.

If he's a family guy i don't think the money will mean much. One of the WA clubs would pay him nicely and on top of that the broadcasting rights will also chip in.

Just like all those other kids who get drafted and move back home after their first contract... Oh wait... I can't think of any (although there may be a couple).

Once he's had two years playing with a group of guys around the same age, they become pretty close mates. It's incredibly rare for a player to leave a club after his rookie contract and I doubt he's any different.

Would of been nice to see a developmental Pacific team compete in the champs against some of the teams. Did really well in the U16's last year against QLD/NT and didn't look out of their depth. Don't understand why there is this gap in the talent pathway with no U18's team for the Pacific, yet they still get to field a team in the U16 champs. Would of been great to see Izzy Falou's cousins (Mahini, Taunga) in action after they did so well last year.

I imagine Sheedy is all over them and will snap them up in a years time.

Queensland 2.3 3.4 4.5 6.7 (43)

South Australia 5.2 7.8 10.15 14.16 (100) 

GOALS

Queensland: Oxley, Thurlow, Russ, Oxley, Cabrera, Starcevich

South Australia: Mayes 4, Carger 2, Wingard 2, Grigg 2, McDonough, Murdoch, Simpson, McDonough

BEST
Queensland: Yagmoor, Newell, Wagner, Joyce, Boston, Murphy
South Australia: Waldhuter, Raikiwasa, Grundy, Mayes, McKay, Wingard, Neale

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/115515/default.aspx

NSW/ACT 1.4 5.6 6.7 9.7 (61)
Vic Metro 6.3 11.5 17.6 21.15 (141)

GOALS

NSW/ACT: Flagg 3, Cummins, Moller, Johns, Moody, Guthrie, Breust

Vic Metro: Gotch 3, Paine 3, Atkins 2, Crozier 2, Frost 2, Tyson 2, Haynes, Greenwood, Wooffindin, Haynes, Tomlinson, Patton, Richards

BEST

NSW/ACT: Potter, Hartley, Witts, Flagg, Breust

Vic Metro: Ellis, Frost, Richards, Tyson, Woodward, Wooffindin

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/115522/default.aspx

Bit late but thought a few of you would be keen to get some insight into how the games went today.

QLD vs SA

I didnt get there til after half time of the first game but I spoke to one of the recruiters and he said Walshunter, Mayes, Neale and Wingard were excellent for SA. Be interested to see stats but I thought Neale had a heap of it. He is only small and would be a high pick if a bit taller I suspect but you couldnt knock him. Wingard was their best though I suspect from what I saw / was told. They played a really good brand of footy and Phillips had them playing to their strength which was lots of run and carry. Toumpas I thoght was ok. He has been in good nick in the u18's and would be one to watch out for next year. Grundy I think is 2012 year but he looks a prospect and the boy Grigg also did some nice things. I saw him last year and like Waldhunter are jsut good solid mids worth good draft picks I would think. Sounded like QLD were pretty poor and the only bloke I thought influenced the game for them was Yagmoor although Newell who I think is listed by the Lions or Suns was pretty good. Couple of the lads I was keen on seeing were pretty uninspiring so was a bit disappointed in the game. Few Collingwood supporters will want to know about Starcevich. He was ok (again I only saw a half) but he seemed to move pretty well but not quite as athletic as Dad. I think he has a few fans but the jury is out.

metro vs NSW

This was a really good game of footy and where QLD were lucky to be as close as they were NSW were unlucky to be that far behind in the end. They were competitive all day (at least up til 3/4 time) and this is probably their best team I think I have seen. They won a fair bit of stoppage stuff and had plenty inside 50 but just didnt have the tall there. Surprised Witts didnt go down although Moller looked ok down there. Much of it probably has to do with Witts and Moller giving them some use from stoppage and Milne and Potter made good use. Both undersize but they had a red hot go and won lots of ball and both look draftable albeit a bit small. Up fwd the kid Breust was terrific - would be known to some of the Chargers fans and didnt let them down. He did some things that were incredible in the first half. Some really deft touches by hand and some lovely use of ball by foot. He was probably their best I thought til half time and showed some very 'draftable' attributes. I had a number of scouts near me and they loved some of his efforts. Flagg (Giants) was also good up fwd and the boy Moody showed some signs albeit didnt use it so well. Head was another that I thought did some nice things and could be a decent pick in 2012. Down back Hartley smashed Patton and Lynch did some good things offensively and has a real go but got caught out by Richards a few times. Lodge was also solid as a mid sized defender who cleaned them up a bit and used it ok. Coward is one of their better players and look he did some nice things as well. Forgot Tweedale. Was good and had better of Sheridan on a wing early before being pushed back. Needs to work harder though and to be fair did in the second half.

But the winners were Metro on they were excellent. SA will give them a run for their money but the Metro big boys are pretty impressive. Cope was beaten I thought by Witts and Hartley kept Patton under wraps but the rest of their big blokes were very good. Richards and Paine are very draftable players who are a great size and move well. They also use it well albeit Richards probably needs more kick penetration (may be harsh there). Paine I thought was great up fwd and I think he kicked 2 or 3 but then very good down back. He was super impressive I thought. Just has time and moves really well for a big kid. He is draftable for all his athletic credentials and because he could play a number of roles. Tomlinson went fwd when Patton was taken off and did well. Led up and showed some very good signs. Kicking was a touch off but he dominated the air when Patton couldnt. I was pleased to see him go ok as I think he has some talent. Bussey took time to get into it down back and then started to control it in the third and Frost was bloody awesome. He was one I rate pretty highly and was keen to see. He did it all the kid. Quick as anyone out there, terrific mark, good below the knees and good by foot. Kicked a goal and had a run in the ruck. Darrou was also solid down back but I just wonder if he is big enough for KPD. Liked him though. Lots of footy smarts. Hunter didnt do much early but was good in the last half and was pretty composed down back. In the middle the kid Tyson set them up. Good size, nice kick, inside and out and just looks to have some time others dont. Greenwood was in it all early and whilst tiny did some really special things fwd of the footy. Woodward and Woofindin were also good and would have had plenty. Newness played HB and was solid. Used it really well and put his body on the line a few times. Gave them a lot of run. he reminds me of Zaharkis actually at this level but for me it was Ellis down back who just stood out and reminded me so much of how Toy use to dominate that position at this level. He had a lot of us pretty impressed and was pretty tough over the ball and in the contest and then used it well. Crozier was amazing when he got it - geez he has some jets. He kicked two goals and both were after he ignited the jets. Just reminded me of the some of the Blease, Harper moments we have seen before. He is a very very good player with a huge amount of upside. Gotch did a couple of really good things and i think he kicked 2 and they were both really super goals. Got some pace and uses it well. Of the underagers Hayes and Atkins were excellent. The boy haynes is a good player as we have seen but he stepped it up today.

Hopefully that helps.

Great review snoop, thanks very much from those of us not in Blacktown for the weekend.

Ryan out would have hurt the Rams kpf setup, as you mentioned. He's been playing ff for the past month or so, not kicking all that many but providing a presence. Must have thrown off their structure him getting injured in the last game before the champs.

Frost is one I've hardly seen, and will obviously have to keep an eye on from now on.

Darrou has always played 3rd tall/hbf in the TAC. I'm also not sure where he fits in at the next level. Can certainly play, but is he fast enough to play hbf or tall enough to play kpd at AFL level?

Hartley's an excellent stopper - one of the best. Big decisive spoiler. Hasn't gotten much of the ball when I've seen him though.

VMs ruck division will be much better when(/if?) they get Longer back. Theink he had a calf issue. But having said that, Witts, Moller and Ryan worked him over in the TAC a few weeks ago too, though he did still kick a couple.

Paine can just flat-out play. Like him quite a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back