Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking at a few highlights, geez it'd be great if Jake Lever slid through to us! Unfortunately it looks unlikely he'll be there past pick 6/7, let alone pick 14. With Talia arguably the best lockdown tall defender in the league, it'd be nice to pick up a 2nd tall like Lever who can also provide a bit of drive out of the backline, who best fits that mould of the more highly rated remaining key position defender prospects (ie Durdin, Goddard, Marchbank, McDonald, Ramsey, Howe)? Will we need to pull the trigger at pick 14 or can we still secure a quality defender at pick 35?

On that note, are Mitch Brown (#15, 2008 - 24yo, 196cm, 93kg) or Joel Hamling (#32, 2011 - 21yo, 194cm, 88kg) worth a punt? With Lonergan, Taylor, Scarlett, Rivers and Mackie having a lock on those tall defender roles over the last few years in an obviously very strong Geelong side, which could explain their lack of opportunities. Could we pick either of them up as an insurance policy or are they not worth our time? Both are decent size, Brown was pick 15 in a very strong 2008 draft, so you'd think there must be something to work with, while Hamling finished 3rd in their VFL B&F this year.

I read in the description of the phantom draft that Keenan Ramsay has one eye

385881-2fb0452e-dd71-11e3-bcf2-0a7df6b3a8f7.jpg

True story. Apparently he had retinal cancer as a child and lost it at the age of 2. Doesn't seem to have affected him too much though, I watched his highlights before I read about his eye and you wouldn't pick it.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/keenan-ramsey-2014-draft-prospect.1071446/

I think we have a need to not only draft a young key defender, but to perhaps rookie list an experienced key defender out of the SANFL or VFL to cover in the case of injury. - i.e. who are we playing if Hartigan is injured, Shaws hamstring is gone (which has a 99.998 % chance of happening) and Siggins has been tried and isn't ready?
Any 24-26 year olds that might fit the bill?

Initially I was thinking mature age rookie as well, however....

Something I only became aware of recently is just how little rookies get paid. In 2015 the base salary for a rookie is $55,440. While not unsubstantial, this is not a huge amount of money for a 24-26yr old to get to move interstate (moves can cost around $10k). Especially considering they are relying on a long term injury occurring or a retiree to get a game.

Therefore while it might still be attractive for a young developing player desperate to be on a list to come interstate, a mature player is much more likely to remain in their state and look to play for sides with an ageing list.

Info on match payments www.aflplayers.com.au CBA.

Something I only became aware of recently is just how little rookies get paid. In 2015 the base salary for a rookie is $55,440. While not unsubstantial, this is not a huge amount of money for a 24-26yr old to get to move interstate (moves can cost around $10k). Especially considering they are relying on a long term injury occurring or a retiree to get a game.

Therefore while it might still be attractive for a young developing player desperate to be on a list to come interstate, a mature player is much more likely to remain in their state and look to play for sides with an ageing list.

You enter the draft, you really don't have a choice. ;)

However, you'd say, well 55K, sure it's not much but it's worth the risk of moving interstate to get off of the rookie contracts and forge a career at AFL level.

Absolutely true, but the 24-26 year old guys still plying their trade in the SANFL do it either in the faint hope of getting on an AFL list or because they love it. They could easily leave and get paid more playing country football.
I suspect there would be a large number in that age bracket (or maybe more the 22-25 bracket) that would jump at the chance, regardless of the pay.

So Reece McKenzie is the hot tip from someone "in the know". Who knows if it's accurate. It would certainly explain trading away pick 10 for 14. Anyway one poster who is reliable is Skippos:

Pick 21 - St. Kilda: Reece McKenzie (Vic Metro - Contested Marking KPF)

196 cm, 100 kg, 28/3/96
Range: 5-30
Style: Travis Cloke
Comparison: Ryan Willits

Reece McKenzie is perhaps the most divisive player in the crop. Having not played football during his bottom age year, focusing on basketball instead, he came into 2014 with less runs on the board. This year he's been the best performed KPF in the TAC cup, kicking several huge bags while also doing the same for Marcellin. At 196cm and 100kg the query with him is whether his performances are through skill or size. His contested marking is fantastic. He crashes packs and takes massive pack marks. One on one he's able to use his size to force opponents out of the contest. He's able to read the flight of the ball well. Despite his size he's reasonable on the lead taking the ball out in front but requires a long lead as he's slow to accelerate though top speed isn't an issue. His size is predominantly efficient size with lots of it muscle. He's got a good solid leap and some real power through the legs. He's one of the few prospects who could be a genuine #1 power forward.

McKenzie isn't a great playmaker with his footskills average along with his set shot. At ground level he doesn't have much impact with his following up poor and his effort at ground level average. He lacks agility and awareness with his back to goal. His performances this year have been against weakened teams and he hasn't really dominated the good teams and opponents to the same level.

Upside is the concern with McKenzie. His development curve so far has been steep with his progress going from not having played in 2013 to being TAC cup standard early 2014 to being dominant late. Normally this indicates real upwards potential but I'm rather cynical. He's a bit of a one trick pony and at AFL level he's not going to have that size advantage. His ceiling is like a slightly lower level Cloke or Hawkins however there's a good chance he could end up like Ryan Willits who's shared a similar career path thus far.

Evaluation of his prospects: McKenzie's going to take a long time to really hit his straps so either way we're going to have to wait to see which way he goes. I'd say it's around 50/50 as to whether he makes it or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article:

'It still haunts me', delisted Dog Christian Howard couldn't handle the pressure
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-29/it-still-haunts-me

"I really struggled to deal with the pressure of being a first round pick early on in my career, and to a certain degree even now it still haunts me. I just didn't deal with it well."
I think he could be a good rookie pick. Takes pressure off him, gives him a season of SANFL to show what he is capable of.

So Reece McKenzie is the hot tip from someone "in the know". Who knows if it's accurate. It would certainly explain trading away pick 10 for 14. Anyway one poster who is reliable is Skippos:

Pick 21 - St. Kilda: Reece McKenzie (Vic Metro - Contested Marking KPF)

196 cm, 100 kg, 28/3/96
Range: 5-30
Style: Travis Cloke
Comparison: Ryan Willits

Reece McKenzie is perhaps the most divisive player in the crop. Having not played football during his bottom age year, focusing on basketball instead, he came into 2014 with less runs on the board. This year he's been the best performed KPF in the TAC cup, kicking several huge bags while also doing the same for Marcellin. At 196cm and 100kg the query with him is whether his performances are through skill or size. His contested marking is fantastic. He crashes packs and takes massive pack marks. One on one he's able to use his size to force opponents out of the contest. He's able to read the flight of the ball well. Despite his size he's reasonable on the lead taking the ball out in front but requires a long lead as he's slow to accelerate though top speed isn't an issue. His size is predominantly efficient size with lots of it muscle. He's got a good solid leap and some real power through the legs. He's one of the few prospects who could be a genuine #1 power forward.

McKenzie isn't a great playmaker with his footskills average along with his set shot. At ground level he doesn't have much impact with his following up poor and his effort at ground level average. He lacks agility and awareness with his back to goal. His performances this year have been against weakened teams and he hasn't really dominated the good teams and opponents to the same level.

Upside is the concern with McKenzie. His development curve so far has been steep with his progress going from not having played in 2013 to being TAC cup standard early 2014 to being dominant late. Normally this indicates real upwards potential but I'm rather cynical. He's a bit of a one trick pony and at AFL level he's not going to have that size advantage. His ceiling is like a slightly lower level Cloke or Hawkins however there's a good chance he could end up like Ryan Willits who's shared a similar career path thus far.

Evaluation of his prospects: McKenzie's going to take a long time to really hit his straps so either way we're going to have to wait to see which way he goes. I'd say it's around 50/50 as to whether he makes it or not.

Hot tip from someone in the know...If 2014 has taught me anything it is that no-one outside the inner circle knows anything at all.

So Reece McKenzie is the hot tip from someone "in the know". Who knows if it's accurate. It would certainly explain trading away pick 10 for 14.

"Despite his size he's reasonable on the lead taking the ball out in front but requires a long lead as he's slow to accelerate though top speed isn't an issue. His size is predominantly efficient size with lots of it muscle. He's got a good solid leap and some real power through the legs."

Reece Mckenzie could be our new Chad Gibson.. Big, slow off the mark key forwards are a decade too late

He finished equal 2nd at the AFL Combine in the 20m sprint with 2.87 seconds so it doesn't seem like he has an acceleration problem.

Given that we don't need a KPF is there any chance we are looking at him as a KPD?

He came 2nd in the 20m sprint??? Serious

Yep.

Northern Knights leading goal kicker Reece McKenzie proved his speed recording the second best time of 2.87, equal with West Australian Jarrod Pickett and North Adelaide’s Oleg Markov.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...20-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=31697031

20 metre sprint results (sec)
Marvin Baynham 2.81
Oleg Markov 2.87
Jarrod Pickett 2.87
Reece McKenzie 2.87
Connor Menadue 2.88
Nakia Cockatoo 2.90

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-03/who-stole-the-show-in-this-years-draft-combine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back