News New CEO - Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

I am excited about the appointment of our new CEO as well but I wouldn't start crowing just yet. I remember Sanderson made all the right noises when he started and look how that turned out.

Except that Fagan has runs on the board in the position he is employed in

Sando was never a head coach, so he was still "new" to the caper

Dear Members,
As you are aware, our Club is now looking for a new Senior Coach.

The decision to head in a different direction is part of an ongoing review of our entire football program, which is being overseen by Chairman Rob Chapman, Board Directors Mark Ricciuto and Andrew Payze, and Head of Football David Noble.

While not involved in the decision earlier this week, I have been fully briefed.

I will now be part of all future planning and decision making.

As I said at my first media conference, we need to put the right people in the right seats, and develop the best football program in the AFL.

That involves conducting an exhaustive and nationwide search for our next coach. I will give you regular updates on the process where possible.

Make no mistake, we will be ruthless as we strive to realise our ambition of being the most successful and respected football club in the country.

I would also like to thank Brenton Sanderson for his effort and commitment in the past three years. We wish him every success.

I am currently in Sydney finishing up my responsibilities at Australian Rugby Union.
I can’t wait to be on the ground in Adelaide from early October.

There is no doubt our Club has a very passionate and loyal fan base, and I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible in coming months.

Thanks for your support.

Andrew Fagan
Chief Executive Officer
Well I'll be.....

To all those supporters that continue to refuse to believe that Fagan had no input into the decision to terminate Sando's contract, is the man's own word good enough for You???

"While not involved in the decision earlier this week, I have been fully briefed."

Hopefully the man's own word in writing is sufficient to finally quell that bullshit!!

What does it say about Carltons CEO search?
The AFL conducted a very thorough search of CEOs from Adelaide on their behalf, and it turned out Trigg knew where more skeletons were buried than any other candidate.

Well I'll be.....

To all those supporters that continue to refuse to believe that Fagan had no input into the decision to terminate Sando's contract, is the man's own word good enough for You???

"While not involved in the decision earlier this week, I have been fully briefed."

Hopefully the man's own word in writing is sufficient to finally quell that bullshit!!

Umm...he said we WASN'T involved in the decision. His word is good enough for me.

Well I'll be.....

I haven't posted anything about this little argument either way because I couldn't care less. But do you seriously think that his first email to members would contradict the message that the club has been running with all week. If they were less than 100% truthful with us earlier, why would you think this email us going to lay it all out for us. And before we get into it, no I don't expect or believe that the club or players tell us the truth every time they open their mouth or put something in writing. I know some naive posters believe the lot, but they're largely in the minority.

That they let the afl do it for them

I reckon it's more gillon coming in and asking how the search is going and if they were still not committed the afl had a great candidate and would be really, really appreciative if they took him on. How appreciative? Well firstly, you will be able to mention our full and complete backing on this so if it turns to s**t, we'll be in the hot seat with you. Then there's the other little things we can help you out with, fixture cough cough.

I think part of the problem here is that people think the CEO is all powerful and can do what he wants. The CEO is part of a line management structure and like everyone else he has a boss telling him what to do.

Im not sure what to think of Fagan yet. Sounds good when he talks but he was not overly sucessful with the Brumbies.

There is a lot of truth to this.

On the one hand he took over a successful club and drove them into the ground. On the other hand he's got a proper background, appropriate cv and appears to have been appointed after a genuine process.

I'll give him a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"drove them into the ground" -- what rubbish.
Agreed. Strange call. Simply looking at ladder placings isn't enough, for anyone unfamiliar with the league. Three countries participate, so results are derived from conferences. I think there has been a change in system but I could be wrong. New Zealand hold 12 of the 19 championship deciders. Australia holds 4.

The Brumbies were - and are - arguably one of the better sides in Australia. To suggest they were driven into the ground is a bit of left of centre. We've also heard from a number of people who follow Super Rugby saying they more than hold their own in a fiercely fought competition (with only 4 teams participating in finals).

"drove them into the ground" -- what rubbish.

Agreed. Strange call. Simply looking at ladder placings isn't enough, for anyone unfamiliar with the league.

Yeah results don't matter. That's a bit convenient all of a sudden

Between 2000-2004 the brumbies played in the grand final 4 years out of 5, winning twice.

Our bloke took over the reigning champs in 2005. What happened next? How many years in a row did they miss the playoffs Hmmm... ;)

He deserves a chance, and he'll get it. But lets not pretend that his time in charge at the brumbies was a glorious one. The results don't lie. Not over that many years, and not when you consider the powerhouse he took over.

My view is that he's probably learned a lot and can apply a lot of experience the second time round. But onfield the brumbies went through the floor when he took over.

I'd reckon a lot of coaches can be better the second time round too

I'd reckon a lot of coaches can be better the second time round too

This was fairly common practice IIRC from the 90s to about 00s, then axed coaches were completely out of vogue.

There is no one out there that has been sacked that I would want at our Club.

This was fairly common practice IIRC from the 90s to about 00s, then axed coaches were completely out of vogue.

There is no one out there that has been sacked that I would want at our Club.

It always amazes me that this occurs. Even in work places it is common practice. For some reason everyone is much more enamoured with the whole 'shiny new thing' whose abilities and flaws we don't really know, over the person who we know more about.

Why do we always go for the unknown? Is it hope that they may be great? Or is it cynicism over the flaws we already see?

Well I'll be.....

Perhaps this clear things up a bit. def'n brief: an outline, summary, or synopsis. That appears to me to mean it was a one way movement of information. No way does that mean that Fagan gave anything back regards opinion, demands, thoughts or even acceptance. There was no rubber stamp. It's probably time you concede you are mistaken give it a rest.

Perhaps this clear things up a bit. def'n brief: an outline, summary, or synopsis. That appears to me to mean it was a one way movement of information. No way does that mean that Fagan gave anything back regards opinion, demands, thoughts or even acceptance. There was no rubber stamp. It's probably time you concede you are mistaken give it a rest.
I think Bicks was actually agreeing with you?????

Between 2000-2004 the brumbies played in the grand final 4 years out of 5, winning twice.

Fagan wasn't an outsider when he was made CEO in 2005. From 2002 he was the General Manager at the Brumbies, so you'd think he'd have been heavily involved in this period of success.

Then again, what was Trigg's role with the Crows before becoming CEO...

You've got to accept that the Australian franchises in Super Rugby don't have access to the top player talent that NZ and RSA franchises do. It was probably no coincidence that the Brumbies success in 2000-04 coincided with Australia winning the world cup in 1999 and making the final in 2003 against England, and hence we were top southern hemisphere nation.

In 2005 Fages was what, 33, when appointed CEO of the Brumbies? Suggests two things to me, [1] he was pretty young and probably didn't perform as well as an experienced CEO for some years, and [2] he must be quite a talent to have gotten the job at that age.

Our bloke took over the reigning champs in 2005. What happened next? How many years in a row did they miss the playoffs Hmmm... ;)

He deserves a chance, and he'll get it. But lets not pretend that his time in charge at the brumbies was a glorious one. The results don't lie. Not over that many years, and not when you consider the powerhouse he took over.
I see why you don't see it as a success, but it's worth noting that in 2006 the competition added new teams. 4 finalists from 14 teams - only once did they have more than 5 losses in a season of 13 matches. Teams don't stay up forever, and there's a chance that when the old CEO left it was a changing of guard on and off the field. In any case I think the results can be a touch misleading because it's a different sort of competition.

That aside, I hope all of us here give him a chance. There's really no reason not to, and I've not been this optimistic in a long time. It's like wearing a new set of clothes.

as you can see I'm not saying he's rubbish, but let's not gild the lily either. It's the equivalent of taking over hawthorn in 2015 and them not making the finals again for 8 years.

I suspect he's learnt a lot, and probably has a lot to offer. But some people are too busy making out to be some sort of super exec which is only going to lead to disappointment.

Let's give him a fair chance on actual merit

:rolleyes:
WTF is wrong with your comprehension skills, seriously you need to go back and actually read my posts buddy, both Sanders and I continued to debunk the "theorists" that were spouting the Fagan had a hand in Sando's dismissal line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back