Preview Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Campo gets them to the finals, the job is his.

If he doesn't - it's not.

If they miss the finals and give him the job anyway, we are back in line with the 2013/14 thought processes and not implementing elite standards.

Lyon, Roos.

All of the good coaches seem to have a hint of psycho.
I feel bassett would be a great fit for an afl club just not ours. He has that thinking outside the box style and sanfl premiership experience. However imo we need an experienced afl coach the players will respect and believe in. Clarko fits the bill, I dont care how much they pay him just make it happen. Id love for it to be worsfold but dont think it will happen now.

After his illness, and now this with Walshy, I can't see Clarko leaving the Hawks to start again.

I'd love it if he did, but I think his next decision will be a lifestyle based one, less than a footy one.

Bass would still be my preference; but my main thing is that we don't go a new age, modern coach like Sando again - we go someone with an old school mentality; like Walsh, like Richardson, like Simpson, like Beveridge.

We need a hard, demanding bastard - who understands where respect comes from.

Hes already locked in to coach Melbourne in two years time, don't think he would come over to us now

And there is still the WADA issues from Essendon hanging over his head. As a coach he is partly responsible for what went on there and the lack of duty of care toward the players. I would not be comfortable with him back at our club because of those issues.

What reasons did Worsfold give for not coaching next year?

Also what did we expect him to say when asked about coaching next year? Right now Campo has the gig, he'd hardly be wanting to cut his lunch on his first day. Also if he declares his interest too early it also puts pressure on the Crows when they haven't begun their search.

And any denials now can easily be explained away:

"When I took the job I did it to help out and I didn't think I was ready to coach again but after spending 3 months with the club I realised I still had the passion and I want to finish what Phil started".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he is trying his best to be calm and considered in his media work since his appointment in these circumstances but Campo doesn't seem to carry the presence that Walsh did.

I imagine even in these circumstances Walsh would've been a hugely strong presence if it were him thrust forward.

For those that know him better, what is Campo like personality wise? Seems like a great 2IC to me, not the head honcho.

This is only an initial gut feel of course and I'm not being critical of him, he's done a great job…he's just…not Walsh :(

I dont think Campo is the man.

Just seems to be the exact opposite to Walsh in many ways.

Not sure we can make that call as yet. We knew bugger all about Walsh before he came into the spotlight as a head coach, and I think the same rings true for Campo. Not knowing a whole lot about Camporeale, I had my preconceptions of him as a coach, picturing him as the nice, friendly kind of guy (aka soft). But then I saw him giving it to Dangerfield with extreme prejudice against the Hawks, and that went completely against those preconceptions. Considering the circumstances surrounding his appointment, it's unlikely that he's going to come out and be a complete hard ass with the media, à la Phil Walsh. You may be entirely correct, but at this stage, do we really know much at all about Camporeale the coach?

I know he is trying his best to be calm and considered in his media work since his appointment in these circumstances but Campo doesn't seem to carry the presence that Walsh did.

I imagine even in these circumstances Walsh would've been a hugely strong presence if it were him thrust forward.

For those that know him better, what is Campo like personality wise? Seems like a great 2IC to me, not the head honcho.

This is only an initial gut feel of course and I'm not being critical of him, he's done a great job…he's just…not Walsh :(

Yes you are correct Campo is not Walsh and nor will the bloke that is the head coach from 2016.

Sure we may want the next bloke to share the same vision and values as Phil did and that he put in place but its an unrealistic burden to place on someone that is appointed our couch to expect he will be PW mark2....its just not going to happen.

Last edited:
I reckon Campo would have a steely resolve behind closed doors.

We have already seen a glimpse of that when he was telling Danger what was what earlier this year.

Not sure we can make that call as yet. We knew bugger all about Walsh before he came into the spotlight as a head coach, and I think the same rings true for Campo. Not knowing a whole lot about Camporeale, I had my preconceptions of him as a coach, picturing him as the nice, friendly kind of guy (aka soft). But then I saw him giving it to Dangerfield with extreme prejudice against the Hawks, and that went completely against those preconceptions. Considering the circumstances surrounding his appointment, it's unlikely that he's going to come out and be a complete hard ass with the media, à la Phil Walsh. You may be entirely correct, but at this stage, do we really know much at all about Camporeale the coach?
Yeah, he needs to be given a chance, and you're right, we dont really know much about him as a coach. Just think though, had he been given the job after Sandos sacking we would have rioted.

Walsh had an aura, he was tough and charismatic. TheLeftFist said it well in another thread- 'a steely general'. That doesnt come across with Campo at all. Who knows, he might surprise us.

Then there's the knowledge and experience gathered over 20 years at multiple clubs, hundreds of games in the box and a premiership. Campo is very green by comparison. It just all adds up to a vastly different profile to Walsh. I can't see him having the top job unless theres a bloke like Worsfold as the senior assistant.

After his illness, and now this with Walshy, I can't see Clarko leaving the Hawks to start again.

I'd love it if he did, but I think his next decision will be a lifestyle based one, less than a footy one.

Bass would still be my preference; but my main thing is that we don't go a new age, modern coach like Sando again - we go someone with an old school mentality; like Walsh, like Richardson, like Simpson, like Beveridge.

We need a hard, demanding bastard - who understands where respect comes from.

Huh?? New Age Modern Coach??

Adam Simpson last played 2009

Scott Camporeale last played 2007

Brenton Sanderson last played 2005

Yeah, he needs to be given a chance, and you're right, we dont really know much about him as a coach. Just think though, had he been given the job after Sandos sacking we would have rioted.

Walsh had an aura, he was tough and charismatic. TheLeftFist said it well in another thread- 'a steely general'. That doesnt come across with Campo at all. Who knows, he might surprise us.

Then there's the knowledge and experience gathered over 20 years at multiple clubs, hundreds of games in the box and a premiership. Campo is very green by comparison. It just all adds up to a vastly different profile to Walsh. I can't see him having the top job unless theres a bloke like Worsfold as the senior assistant.

Bucks has that steely resolve, but beveridge doesn't - both are going pretty good.

Campo has half a season to audition for the role - plenty of time for him to show us what he has got. Don't forget - people like walshy aren't born that way - they grow into it.

Campo will have arguably the most emotionally-charged start of any coach in recent history, the eyes of Australia will be on us this weekend.

We will be literally watching the rebirth of our club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back