Preview Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

Next AFC Coach For 2016 & Beyond

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair call, but really, whoever we get will need to be afforded fair leeway in the job to start with. Massive shoes to fill, and they'd be under pressure before they'd even started, given the circumstances. We'll have to embrace the incumbent coach as fully as we embraced Walshy, and really get around them.
no doubt and agree 100%, it just seems such a distant possibility. Plus that feeling will quite potentially be one of thats what we have to do and perhaps less genuine belief in what we had but who knows.

Whe weren't the only club to get a new coach to breathe n ew life into the place, the Bulldogs have done it so we just need to find the right man as he is out there.

Dew, Bassett, Bolton were all in the final group last appointment and all still available. Will be really interesting if we pursue any of these seriously which would show we did rate them or knowing what they bring to the table if we straight away look elsewhere

Last edited:
I'm wondering why bass didn't make it past the first interview was he not ready, does he have any history with Roo? Given most people think he'd make a great coach considering how he turned Norwood around.
you definitely hear mixed things about bass. I don't reckon that he is ready. I hope that we get someone with plenty of experience.im talking 5 years or more in an AFL coaching role

When you think about it the coaching cupboards abit bare at the moment.

Interesting that, according to The Advertiser, Worsefold is a personal mentor to Stuart Dew, I wonder if we would look at a combination with those two, either with Worsefold for 2-3 years with Dew as his assistant and likely heir, or more likely Dew as head honcho with Worsefold as senior assistant.

The thing that makes me wary about Woosha is the way his tenure ended.

I heard a few interviews with him before he made the decision to coach the next year. He sounded like a man burnt out and who wanted to, and needed to stop coaching but just couldn't. Subsequently he was sacked.

He's been out of the coaches' box for long enough that;

A) He's rested up and ready to go.

Or

B) He no longer has that hard edge that is required of senior coaches.

I'd be wary of considering him a walk up start.

Given Roo will be on the selection panel again, I'll back the club in to make the correct choice.

• 20 wins 2 losses in the 2011 H/A season under MM
  • youngest premiership team ever 2010
created a disconnect between himself and certain senior players when he took over. huge failure if you ask me, pendles carries collingwood incredibly hard.

That's just rubbish Bucks bashing. While they were building and dealing with injuries, you would have been claiming Bucks as a shit coach. Now they're going alright, it's all Pendles. Load of rot.

The thing that makes me wary about Woosha is the way his tenure ended.

I heard a few interviews with him before he made the decision to coach the next year. He sounded like a man burnt out and who wanted to, and needed to stop coaching but just couldn't. Subsequently he was sacked.

He's been out of the coaches' box for long enough that;

A) He's rested up and ready to go.

Or

B) He no longer has that hard edge that is required of senior coaches.

I'd be wary of considering him a walk up start.

Given Roo will be on the selection panel again, I'll back the club in to make the correct choice.

Woosha would need a tactical/game plan person to come over with him as that is his weakness.
The thing about Phil is he was the total package and that will be impossible to replace.

The caretaker coach gig will be a tough one, it's gotta be someone that is really close & respected by the players

Coaching experience is irrelevant for the weeks to come when a leadership of strength is required to get the players back on the field with a head held high

As far as the next coach, i can't think that far ahead.
When heads are held high I'll put my 2cents of opinion in the hat on who should coach next

The very reason it must be Mark Ricciuto!!

Your time is now Roo.

From what I have read on the WC board when Worsfold was on his way out, he lacked tactically. I think we would need a new assistant not named campo, teague or noble.

Ross the boss should be on top of the list. I honestly think he is doing an extraordinary job considering how Freo's best 22 shouldn't be an 11-1 team. He gets the absolute best out of his players and I think he has the best approach out of any coach towards winning.

I would love Ross Lyon however, he is contracted until the end of 2017 and I would imagine that with the money that Freo are paying Lyon they would be smart enough to have not given him the same out clause in his contract that he had as St Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love Ross Lyon however, he is contracted until the end of 2017 and I would imagine that with the money that Freo are paying Lyon they would be smart enough to have not given him the same out clause in his contract that he had as St Kilda.

The man doesn't have integrity. That's a no from me.

Woosha has a bunch of very profitable investments in WA, we tried to get him last time round but he has no interest in leaving his businesses in WA and no financial incentive to, since they have already made him a very wealthy man.

Dew, by all accounts, is highly regarded by those at Sydney and Roos who would know him well, tried to steal him. He will have no issue living in Adelaide, but I can't get past the fact that he gave up his football career to follow 20year-old girl to Hollywood, just a dumb thing to do.

Basset has the capability to one day be a good AFL coach, but he just needs more time as an assistant, it seems these days you need 5-10 years in the assistant box before taking the step up, I think he may be uncontracted at the end of the year, so could be a good recruitment as our defensive coach.

Whoever the next coach is, he needs to be allowed to be his own man, we can't get someone in and tell him he has to continue on the same path that we think Phil was going. Although the players will be quicker to follow him if he happens to have similar philosophies as Phil.

Last edited:
ps Malthouse.
giphy.gif

Interesting that, according to The Advertiser, Worsefold is a personal mentor to Stuart Dew, I wonder if we would look at a combination with those two, either with Worsefold for 2-3 years with Dew as his assistant and likely heir, or more likely Dew as head honcho with Worsefold as senior assistant.

Since 2000 whatever club Dew is involved with during an Olympic/Leap year has won the Premiership.

2000 Centrals -Player
2004 Port -Player
2008 Hawks - Player
2012 Sydney - Coach
2016 - ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back