• Tom Lynch

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • Jeremy Cameron

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • Cam McCarthy

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see any of this list not being good players. McCartin and Hogan are almost complete unknowns at AFL level so could be anything or nothing.

Cameron is clearly ahead of the rest.

I like the look of Daniher and Boyd but the history of players that size (200+) becoming the best KPFs in the business is not great. I can really only think of Paul Salmon and even with Fish it was only for a short golden patch.

Big Benny Brown.

Sorry, but the mold was broken when Ablett retired. There will never be another one like him. The game has become too homogenized.

Homogenized? Can you say that when we have a key forward like Franklin still playing? Im not saying he is the second coming of Snr however he definitely not a homogeneous player

Last edited:

Homogenized? Can you say that when we have a key forward like Franklin still playing? Im not saying he is the second coming of Snr however he definitely not a homogeneous player

I think Franklin has a touch of the old days about him but he is about the only one. In the 80s/90s you had Carey, Lockett, Ablett, Van der Haar, Brereton etc - all players that were a bit touched and a bit individual.

Can't see any of this list not being good players. McCartin and Hogan are almost complete unknowns at AFL level so could be anything or nothing.

Cameron is clearly ahead of the rest.

I like the look of Daniher and Boyd but the history of players that size (200+) becoming the best KPFs in the business is not great. I can really only think of Paul Salmon and even with Fish it was only for a short golden patch.
I think the players getting bigger means you can't refer back to the past and treat them the same. Jason Dunstall, John Nicholls, Dermott Brereton, Alex Jesaulenko are shorter than Jobe Watson. Peter Sumich is the same height.

I think Franklin has a touch of the old days about him but he is about the only one. In the 80s/90s you had Carey, Lockett, Ablett, Van der Haar, Brereton etc - all players that were a bit touched and a bit individual.
A few young players have shown a bit that could seperate them from the pack.

As far as big-bodied forwards go, Daniher, Stringer (could still be a big mid), Hogan, Lynch & Cameron will all be making highlight reels for a long time to come.

I don't think the game has been homogenised. Occasionally you get an alien like Fyfe and more recently Bontempelli, and while a lot is made of the trend towards taller players, we're going to see a lot of Nathan Hrovat (175cm), Lewis Taylor (173), Lachie Neale (176ish?) etc over the next decade or so.

There are still characters and freakish talents around, and teams are still made up of all shapes & sizes.

I think the players getting bigger means you can't refer back to the past and treat them the same. Jason Dunstall, John Nicholls, Dermott Brereton, Alex Jesaulenko are shorter than Jobe Watson. Peter Sumich is the same height.

Yeah I see what you are saying but 194 - 196 cms towers over the KPFs of the 90s. From the players I have seen, once you reach 200cm there is a compromise in mobility and ability below the knees.

I think the ideal KPF height, the sweet spot, is 194 - 198 players like Franklin, Reiwoldt, Brown, Carey etc - they could all compete in the air and were all equally effective and competitive on the ground. I am yet to see a 200+ player that is convincing once the ball hits the turf. That's not to say they cant be great KPFs but I would back a Jeremy Cameron to be a better KPF than a Joe Daniher because there is another dimension to his game.

Yeah I see what you are saying but 194 - 196 cms towers over the KPFs of the 90s. From the players I have seen, once you reach 200cm there is a compromise in mobility and ability below the knees.

I think the ideal KPF height, the sweet spot, is 194 - 198 players like Franklin, Reiwoldt, Brown, Carey etc - they could all compete in the air and were all equally effective and competitive on the ground. I am yet to see a 200+ player that is convincing once the ball hits the turf. That's not to say they cant be great KPFs but I would back a Jeremy Cameron to be a better KPF than a Joe Daniher because there is another dimension to his game.
Riewoldt's 193, Lloyd/Carey 192, Longmire 194. Think you're putting too much importance on an arbitrary cut off. Like the way 30yo is such a magical age on here where you all of a sudden are s**t. Sometimes it's true, sometimes you get a Tuck, Fletcher, Bartlett, Harvey etc.

To look at another sport, Magic Johnson is widely regarded as one of the best point guards of all time but he's 6'9, the same height as some PF/C's from his time.

At this stage I'd back Jeremy Cameron to be better than JD because he's been better to this point. They both look like being fantastic, if slightly different players into the future.

Riewoldt's 193, Lloyd/Carey 192, Longmire 194. Think you're putting too much importance on an arbitrary cut off. .

Well one day, someone will break the mould. Maybe it will be Daniher. But to date all the great forwards I can think of have been under 198 and I think that is down to mobility issues.

Amazing that people could pick a player who has never played a senior game as opposed to say Cameron who in his first year showed against other SENIOR AFL players in the big league that he is a budding superstar.

All aboard the hype train...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well one day, someone will break the mould. Maybe it will be Daniher. But to date all the great forwards I can think of have been under 198 and I think that is down to mobility issues.
Yeah no argument there, I just don't think it's necessary to be revolution, more evolution. 15 years ago 190ish cm's made you a KPP. Now you're a 3rd tall at best and many of the midfielders are that big (Pendles, Watson, Kennedy, Heppell, Fyfe etc)

Biased but I went with Boyd... Tom Lynch close 2nd. Monster of a kid.

I don't think it's biased, the guy is clearly as talented footballer as any young key forward. The difference with Boyd is that the guy takes the footy at its absolute peak, that's something none of the others do and once he learns to use his body look out.

Some players peak later, Casboult I thought had good year last season and I personally think will continue to improve but just my opinion, I don't have Levi ranked as high as the others

Boyd I think will be good talent, but think will need least 2 seasons to fully adjust to AFL football

Casboult is a spitting image of Cain Ackland and he was useless as a hat full of..,

I don't think it's biased, the guy is clearly as talented footballer as any young key forward. The difference with Boyd is that the guy takes the footy at its absolute peak, that's something none of the others do and once he learns to use his body look out.

Daniher does this with a longer reach.

Back