Flameboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
All the talk around Wilshere being the captain in waiting at Arsenal got me thinking about who will take over for us after JT. Mata and Cahill are the two for me who stand out. I think it will go to Juan Mata. Dont know if he's captained any U19 or 21 sides in the past, but he seems to have a level head on his shoulders as well as the ability to lead. The guy simply has all the ingredients to become a Chelsea legend.

United: ?? (half the squad's had a go now haven't they?)
City: Kompany will be around for a while youd think...
Spurs: Lloris?
Pool: Agger?

There has been a lot of talk that Cahill will be the next captain for us and possibly a future England skipper.

There has been a lot of talk that Cahill will be the next captain for us and possibly a future England skipper.

He's got that "put your body on the line" mentality in his favour.

Personally I think he's been exposed as a bit s**t, and really for Chelsea and Englands sake would be better off finding a better footballer let alone a captain.

Reina and Agger current Vice-Captain's but both are probably a bit too old to be considered as long term successors to Gerrard as captain.

Lucas is the obvious choice but I wouldn't be surprised if we gave it to Suarez. By all accounts he's very popular and highly regarded amongst the players, inspires his team-mates through his unrivalled work rate and ability, shows obvious leadership on the field, has captained both Ajax and Uruguay, and it may act as a calming influence on him (although I don't know if I'd want that as I think it's a big factor in what makes him such a great player).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think he's been exposed as a bit s**t, and really for Chelsea and Englands sake would be better off finding a better footballer let alone a captain.

I kind of agree with this. He's a good depth player at best.

He is a bit of a poor man's John Terry due to his lapses in concentration. Once he sorts that out he will be a strong candidate.

Reina and Agger current Vice-Captain's but both are probably a bit too old to be considered as long term successors to Gerrard as captain.

Lucas is the obvious choice but I wouldn't be surprised if we gave it to Suarez. By all accounts he's very popular and highly regarded amongst the players, inspires his team-mates through his unrivalled work rate and ability, shows obvious leadership on the field, has captained both Ajax and Uruguay, and it may act as a calming influence on him (although I don't know if I'd want that as I think it's a big factor in what makes him such a great player).

Dont think suarez deserves it.
Lucas is much loved at the club, he does alot things for the club behind the scenes

I can see Henderson as a future Liverpool Captain

Yeah good shout. At this point he's obviously not ready, but it's definitely something he's capable of doing later on in his career (when he hits his mid-late 20's). I guess we'll see over the next few seasons in the lead up to Gerrard's retirement how much he develops and whether he's ready to take on that responsibility at that time.

He's definitely got all the attributes you'd want in a leader and will be a 10+ year player for us, but at the end of the day your captain needs to be 1 of, if not *the* 1st name on the team sheet and with the rumours surrounding certain midfielders that may be pursued during the summer, Henderson's long term place as a crucial member of our 1st XI may not be set in stone just yet (though on his current trajectory I wouldn't put it past him). You want your captain to be a 40+ game/season player, not a 30+ game/season player.

I'm on the Mata bandwagon too.

I agree, from the sounds of things he's very highly respected within the club and is going to be a permanent fixture in your 1st XI for many years to come. He's not a 'grab your team by the scruff of the neck' style player but there are other ways to show leadership, and as others have said he seems to have a very level head on his shoulders, and so far hasn't shown any inclination to sleep with any of his team mates wives/girlfriends which would be a welcome change for the Chelsea players I'm sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back